How far would you go

dudacek

64 members have voted

1. 1. How far would you go to ensure McEichel?

• I'd order the players to throw games
    • I'd bench Lindback and anyone else who is making a difference
    • I'd let the coaches coach and the players play and let the chips fall where they may

Blah blah blah.

This was not and has never been about one player. You like to repeat that mantra because it fits your narrative.

Blah blah blah

People have been repeating this over and over because it fits their narrative, as well.

The same people who are saying that this has never been about getting one player are the same ones that say unless we get that one player these two years have been a complete failure. You can't have it both ways.

We could have gotten more value for Stafford after his thirty goal season than as a trade sweetener 5(?) years later.

(FTR, I liked the signing at the time. oof)

People have been repeating this over and over because it fits their narrative, as well.

The same people who are saying that this has never been about getting one player are the same ones that say unless we get that one player these two years have been a complete failure. You can't have it both ways.

It isn't about one player.  If we don't get McEichel the tank is still over and the two years were still worth it to clean house and rebuild a middling team of underachievers. 

It isn't about one player.  If we don't get McEichel the tank is still over and the two years were still worth it to clean house and rebuild a middling team of underachievers

That right there is and always has been the discussion/debate. It doesn't take two+ years to do that.

Wrong. 

Holy this post was prophetic!  I mean I can barely comprehend the insight that this inspirational bit of wisdom has imparted to the Sabrespace community.  Like Moses reading the 10 commandments for the first time while thousands of his followers stood hungry in the dessert, this post is epic and biblical in nature.  I feel as though I have been saved from the precipice of ignorance by your profound and ingenious take on this difficult situation. Thank you so much for showing me the light. 

That right there is and always has been the discussion/debate. It doesn't take two+ years to do that.

It does.  It takes time to make those trades and it takes time to insert new players into the lineup and get them up to speed. 

Holy ###### this post was prophetic!  I mean I can barely comprehend the insight that this inspirational bit of wisdom has imparted to the Sabrespace community.  Like Moses reading the 10 commandments for the first time while thousands of his followers stood hungry in the dessert, this post is epic and biblical in nature.  I feel as though I have been saved from the precipice of ignorance by your profound and ingenious take on this difficult situation. Thank you so much for showing me the light. 

Your post was wrong. What else do I need to say?

Even though I think we'll be okay if we don't finish last (eventually at least) the number of people here, and on every other Sabres thing I'm on, on the ledge about to jump as Arizona approaches leads me to believe it's just about all or nothing in the eyes of many fans. And I don't blame them because coming out of a season like this missing the big prizes would suck.

Edited by Randall Flagg

You could, I don't know, explain why you feel it was wrong.  

It's really not a difficult concept. The tank serves no purpose other than to attain a generational talent. Anything else would be fruitless. No GM puts a team through this much sh*t just to turn the roster over.

Long time, highly devoted Sabres fan here (and ALWAYS will be). In my mind, I have set a timetable for getting this franchise on the right path. And this is the last year I offer my patience to the organization. I don't agree that a quick turnaround was possible. Instead, I wanted the complete dismantling of the team (particularly the core) and a new group of talent interjected. There was no way this was going to be pretty and no guarantees come with it. I understand this.

At the forefront is the need to banish mediocrity for the LONG TERM, not the present. I see the Sabres doing that (again, no guarantees) with all the prospects and picks we have and the options they afford us. I have been willing to go through the process but that willingness ends after this year. Get one of the top two guys and then it's ONLY about winning. Going to the playoffs perennially is the expectation for years to come and getting to the finals is a must. It requires faith to feel this way...and that may be the toughest part.

It's really not a difficult concept. The tank serves no purpose other than to attain a generational talent. Anything else would be fruitless. No GM puts a team through this much sh*t just to turn the roster over.

No it is about getting top end talent.  It doesn't have to be generational.  It just has to be top talent.  Chicago wins Stanley Cups without generational talent.  LA did too. Boston did.  Carolina did.  It is about trying to acquire 2-3 top end talents, Marner, Strome, Hanafin also fit that bill. Sam Reinhart is another player that fits that category. Yes it is great if we get McEichel, but the point of the rebuild was to get top end talent which is something we did not have.  

I had lost patience with the old regime and old core. The teardown had to happen and I was resigned to it. I have yet to lose patience for the process we are in. I look forward to the team building that will take place. I find it exciting. You guys are all wimps. Man up.

No it is about getting top end talent.  It doesn't have to be generational.  It just has to be top talent.  Chicago wins Stanley Cups without generational talent.  LA did too. Boston did.  Carolina did.  It is about trying to acquire 2-3 top end talents, Marner, Strome, Hanafin also fit that bill. Sam Reinhart is another player that fits that category. Yes it is great if we get McEichel, but the point of the rebuild was to get top end talent which is something we did not have.  

Do you think the Sabres would have gutted the team this much just for "top talent"? 

I don't. 

This was clearly about generational talent. 

You know what, this board doesn't see it and that's fine. I am done trying to explain this concept. I hope we get McDavid or Eichel so everyone will drop this.  At the end of the day it isn't about one player.  If people don't get that, 0 f##ks given.

You know what, this board doesn't see it and that's fine. I am done trying to ###### explain this concept. I hope we get McDavid or Eichel so everyone will drop this.  At the end of the day it isn't about one player.  If people don't get that, 0 f##ks given.

rchCsVf.gif

You know what, this board doesn't see it and that's fine. I am done trying to ###### explain this concept. I hope we get McDavid or Eichel so everyone will drop this.  At the end of the day it isn't about one player.  If people don't get that, 0 f##ks given.

I've layed it out but it goes over the heads. No use Liger , its a losing battle. For me it was always about getting the high end picks at the top of the draft. If we don't get McWhosit we'll still have the pieces in place to build a great team. That and the other additions I'm sure Murray is coveting will put us back  in the game.

I've layed it out but it goes over the heads. No use Liger , its a losing battle. For me it was always about getting the high end picks at the top of the draft. If we don't get McWhosit we'll still have the pieces in place to build a great team. That and the other additions I'm sure Murray is coveting will put us back  in the game.

There's absolutely no way the "Edmonton approach" is what we're going for here. No GM would be dumb enough to try to emulate that. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.