How far would you go

dudacek

64 members have voted

1. 1. How far would you go to ensure McEichel?

• I'd order the players to throw games
    • I'd bench Lindback and anyone else who is making a difference
    • I'd let the coaches coach and the players play and let the chips fall where they may

I think it's safe to say that for the majority of fans, it's been about one player. The organization is gonna accept their draft position, regardless. And we will no doubt land a good prospect. But there is only one McDeichel. So let's not pretend otherwise.

GO SABRES!!!

We all knew that the run for last should have happened the year McKinnon was drafted.  It is no coincidence that the final pieces of the tank were jettisoned this season.  McDavid was the goal all along.  Anyone who doesn't see that this tank was for a generational guy is fooling themselves.

And now it is starting to look like Eichel is best case.  Lottery day in here is going to be a fecking zoo.  A chit flinging monkey house.

Do you think the Sabres would have gutted the team this much just for "top talent"? 

I don't. 

This was clearly about generational talent.

I do. They had no choice but to gut. The return was always speculative at best.

No it was about Mitch Marner. Of course that's the best outcome, but don't act like its a binary pass/fail situation. It ain't.

If it wasn't about McDavid it would have started the year McKinnon was drafted.  They'll take Marner and grin, obviously, but this was a Mcdavid or bust trip.

Edited by weave

If it wasn't about McDavid it would have started the year McKinnon was drafted. They'll take Marner and grin, obviously, but this was a Mcdavid or bust trip.

It did start McKinnons year...way too late and with too much meat left on the roster to finish the job. Thus the subsequent suffering press conference and the two full season shows we have witnessed.

It did start McKinnons year...way too late and with too much meat left on the roster to finish the job. Thus the subsequent suffering press conference and the two full season ###### shows we have witnessed.

My point exactly.  They didn't jettison all of their moveable assets until McDavid was in range.  If they wanted McKinnon they could have went after it like Arizona just did.

My point exactly.  They didn't jettison all of their moveable assets until McDavid was in range.  If they wanted McKinnon they could have went after it like Arizona just did.

Was Darcy actually waiting because he saw McDavid off in the distance, or was he just incredibly slow to enact any sort of plan ever?  I feel like it took him almost two full years to jettison the old core from Goose to finally Vanek.  And freakin' GMTM had to get rid of Miller.

Was Darcy actually waiting because he saw McDavid off in the distance, or was he just incredibly slow to enact any sort of plan ever?  I feel like it took him almost two full years to jettison the old core from Goose to finally Vanek.  And freakin' GMTM had to get rid of Miller.

How quickly did he help Arizona fully tank?

The target was always McDavid.

Not necessarily. Keeping Rolston would have meant keeping Regier

that is not a logical assumption. Regier could have been tossed and Rolston kept while the gm search was on. If I'm TM and truly wanted to assure the best odds of landing McJesus, Rolston and not TN would be at the helm.

And if McJesus was the goal Rolston would still be coaching the Sabres.

Not necessarily. Keeping Rolston would have meant keeping Regier

that is not a logical assumption. Regier could have been tossed and Rolston kept while the gm search was on. If I'm TM and truly wanted to assure the best odds of landing McJesus, Rolston and not TN would be at the helm.

I think Rolston was actually damaging the team.  He seemed to be losing respect in the room.  Say what you will about TN, the team seems to respect him.  Rolston had to go even if losing was the plan.

People seem to be conflating the goals here.

The team goal is to rebuild with the best players they can get in trades, free agency and the draft, regardless of the draft position, and they will. Obviously, they would prefer to have the top pick, but there is too much out of their control to ensure that outcome. 

The fan goal is to get the generational player to be your linchpin for the next 15 years. The next Bert or Patty. And Marner et al, just don't cut it in that regard. 

GO SABRES!!!

How quickly did he help Arizona fully tank?

The target was always McDavid.

He's the Assistant GM in Ari, so that's neither here nor there.  Darcy was incredibly lackadaisical about the teardown, stretching out the suffering as long as possible.  I have very much doubt that he was executing any sort of plan.

You said it yourself; if McDavid was the only goal from this, Rolston would still be coach. Regier clearly wanted a full-blown tank, there's no way he would have gotten rid of Rolston seeing as he was coaching exactly how he wanted.

To me, there are different ways to tank. Both are brutal, but could you imagine two years under Regier and Rolston?  :death:

He's the Assistant GM in Ari, so that's neither here nor there.  Darcy was incredibly lackadaisical about the teardown, stretching out the suffering as long as possible.  I have very much doubt that he was executing any sort of plan.

DR was in a psychological quandary as he had to destroy that which he gave birth to. Denial is a bitch. 

GO SABRES!!!

People seem to be conflating the goals here.

The team goal is to rebuild with the best players they can get in trades, free agency and the draft, regardless of the draft position, and they will. Obviously, they would prefer to have the top pick, but there is too much out of their control to ensure that outcome. 

The fan goal is to get the generational player to be your linchpin for the next 15 years. The next Bert or Patty. And Marner et al, just don't cut it in that regard. 

GO SABRES!!!

Murray has the rebuild in mind and the ability to do it. Regier only had the tank in mind, and every one of us wouldn't trust him with the other aspects of a rebuild 

there is no doubt in my mind Regier was brought in to facilitate their tank.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.