GDT: Buffalo @ Bahston, 7:30 pm EST, NBCSN

WildCard

Question for the tankers, if you root for the team to lose and then come here and get all defensive when some of us celebrate a well-deserved hard fought game.................. why do you even bother to watch the game? Seems like an awfully miserable form of entertainment.

Can't you just take a break and let some of us enjoy a win?

Because all I can think about is being at the home opener this year when they announce Kane and McDavid/Eichel. THAT is what I want and anything less will make this an even bigger waste of time watching this shitshow.

I hate the tank. I hate everything about it. I would rather be competing for a playoff spotv and getting knocked out on the first round. But f me if your going to ram this shizit hockey up my ass for two years at least make it worth my while. Mitch Marner is not worth the crap we have had to endure. That is why I am pissed. I didn't want this horseshit in the first place.

Exactly.  I hated the idea for all of last season.  But, got on board this season...........To come this far, you have to be an idiot to now want stupid meaningless points.  I want to win a Cup.........Do the people who want points also think teams should go all out in preseason.  Play only roster players, etc.

Question for the tankers, if you root for the team to lose and then come here and get all defensive when some of us celebrate a well-deserved hard fought game.................. why do you even bother to watch the game? Seems like an awfully miserable form of entertainment.

Can't you just take a break and let some of us enjoy a win?

I haven't watch much of them since I went to Los Angeles and Anaheim to see them both play live. This team blows and it's very disturbing that they could blow this seasons real goal to win a few meaningless games down the stretch.

Do u people see the difference in the top 5 of this draft. Picture McDavid and Eichel as Taveras on the Islanders and then just a pretty decent player like Strome, Marner as Strome off the islanders. That's a huge drop in talent that this team can't afford to blow!

I'm happy they got the win tonight.  But I do want to see them complete the tank.

So, what keeps going through my mind is "what is Murray going to do about this as we head down the stretch?"   This is all on Murray. ALL. ON. MURRAY.  If the Sabres do not finish the tank correctly, it's because Murray allowed that to happen.

So is everyone who wanted these precious points tonight going to be wanting the Sabres to win both games against the Yotes? Serious question because any other answer other than yes just doesn't make sense to me.

After the last two games against probable playoff teams, there is no way we lose either game against the Coyotes or the game against the Leafs. Both those teams have gladly mailed it in and may not win again this year. They are absolutely pitiful to watch. The players don't care and the coaches don't care, unlike the Sabres. Edmonton still puts out an effort and plays to win every night, so it looks like 29th place to me IMO. May as well put in your order for a Hanifin jersey now and watch the Sabres clean out their lockers in April for the next few years.

the Sabres have definitely played above their potential/ability the last 3-4 games.  We have watched stretches like this before and they should be coming back down to earth shortly.  

Right.  This ties into my thoughts.  The only thing I have is that Murray is running numbers, and, like TBPhD, he has faith in his numbers.  That everything will fall into place mathematically.

I'm happy they got the win tonight.  But I do want to see them complete the tank.

So, what keeps going through my mind is "what is Murray going to do about this as we head down the stretch?"   This is all on Murray. ALL. ON. MURRAY.  If the Sabres do not finish the tank correctly, it's because Murray allowed that to happen.

We've BEEN heading down the stretch. What's he going to do this week he didn't do last week, or should have done yesterday? Hackett should be playing. He's not.

Edited by @fakegorbyportwinestain

We're heading down the stretch. What's he going to do this week he didn't do last week, or should have done yesterday? Hackett should be playing. He's not.

That would imply a mutiny by the coaching staff.

And not enjoying a win over the Bruins makes you look like a sourpuss.

Early in the season, the idea of The Tank was abhorrent to me.  So, so wrong to root for your team to lose.  Then I accepted it as a consolation to feel better when they lost.  I finally bought in and I know the team will be best off if they lose out.  But just like The Tank was a consolation for me when the lost, my love for the Sabres is the consolation when they win, even though I know The Tank is the best course of action.  

You can get a generational player but you need a team for him to play on.  The Sabres became more of a team tonight.

I still think they win McDavid.  Whether or not they come in 30th, I feel in my gut that they will win the lottery.

So you can get your panties in a knot, but whether I personally wanted them to win or lose didn't affect the outcome of the game, and it'd be senseless not to enjoy a good pasting of the Bruins.

they became more of a team Tonight? BY getting manhandled and just by total luck getting a win? And what team? How.many of these guys will even be on the roster next year?

Right.  This ties into my thoughts.  The only thing I have is that Murray is running numbers, and, like TBPhD, he has faith in his numbers.  That everything will fall into place mathematically.

This makes no sense. The last aberration lasted a month!

That would imply a mutiny by the coaching staff.

Murray's got a little Frank Underwood in him. He should invite Lindback down to the metro rail station for a chat.

And for anybody that says Nolan shouldn't be coach, he's leading a team that should have a 15 point cushion on the rest of the league and he's still finding ways to keep this team focused and competitive no matter how much Murray is trying to finish 30th. His worst mistake might have been not firing Nolan at the start of the year, now his worst mistake will be if he fires him during this offseason. 

And for anybody that says Nolan shouldn't be coach, he's leading a team that should have a 15 point cushion on the rest of the league and he's still finding ways to keep this team focused and competitive no matter how much Murray is trying to finish 30th. His worst mistake might have been not firing Nolan at the start of the year, now his worst mistake will be if he fires him during this offseason. 

focused teams don't give up 44 SOG and another 30 that didn't make it through.

one man was focused tonight. zero teams were focused tonight.

The missing 15 point cushion is also the result of a net-minder playing otherworldly.

Look Lindback is playing at a level he is not capable of maintaining.  He seriously can't maintain his sv% of .934 for the next 12 games.  Those are above Vezina numbers.  The Bruins hit 3 posts that I heard.   Breath everyone.   This team can't maintain this pace for more than another game or 2.  Once they crash again, it will take 8-10 games to dig out which is the end of the season.  

This makes no sense. The last aberration lasted a month!

Hmm...I suppose that's one way of looking at it.  You could also say that any sequence of more than one game where they gained points is an aberration.

focused teams don't give up 44 SOG and another 30 that didn't make it through.

one man was focused tonight. zero teams were focused tonight.

The missing 15 point cushion is also the result of a net-minder playing otherworldly.

Guess what, every team has hot goaltenders throughout the year. If you can't see that this team busted their ass tonight with what little they have to offer at the moment, I don't know what to tell you. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And the fact that we're all arguing after a WIN just makes me nauseous. Some of you guys just don't know when to give it a break. With that said, I'm outta here. Goodnight ladies.  

(2 separate posts....................................)

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Ahh, the frustration of being a Buffalo Sabres fan. The one team that can lose 75% of the games you want them to win and win 100% of the games you want them to lose. They have plenty of pieces to the puzzle, but not that one huge piece they need. Kinda like the Bills. They are fairly loaded with talent, but don't have jack squat in the most important place to lead them to the promised land.

In a cosmic sense, we're all irrelevant.  And nothing matters.

So cheer up, everyone.  There's always that!

https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys

I can't say we looked good tonight. But we did look like a scrapping team and there were a glimpses of future skill and promise. I think it's games like this that we were hoping to have all season (pro-tankers or not). Risto pinching in the corner and sneaking up for a shot in 4-on-4. Schaller playing more physical. Ennis whirling and being patient with the puck. Winning battles and foot-races. Yet another goalie making key saves. Even CoHo broke up a cross-ice pass that if he'd corraled it could have been a 2-on-1.

It's the last national game (last one I'll see this season) and it's definitely been painful. But, we beat the Bruins -- so it's good. And I think we have a winning record on MSNBC this season -- which means we'll get another 8 games next year for those of us scattered across the continent.

If nothing else, the (re)building is fascinating. And hopefully the fun ramps up each year hereafter. So peace onward and let's go Buffalo!

Earlier this year, during the 14 game losing streak and approaching the trade deadline the media and opposing fan bases were up in arms accusing the Sabres of outright tanking for Mceichel and saying the NHL would/should rig the lottery to ensure the Sabres don't win it. Now maybe with the effort the team has been displaying and the total lack of effort from Regierzona and the Queefs maybe that sentiment has changed and the Sabres will be "gifted" the lottery pick? Just a thought, hopeful wish lol

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.