Lindback - good enough to start next season?

Doohickie

I disagree. He was decent with the Predators and then played like crap for 2 years between Dallas and Tampa. I would sign him like that because there isn't anyone who will be up next year and we will have the cap room.

We will have cap room. To sign somebody who will actually be worth the time and money. Or acquire them. There are options. We fall in love with our players so quickly. I figured this year would be an exception since we knew that guys would be coming and going on a consistent basis, but I guess not.

He has lost all five games he has started. He's played well enough in a few of those to win but so has every other goaltender that has started in the crease this season. We could put just about any NHL goalie back there and they would have good stats... Let's find one that will play well regardless of system or coach.

I do not like Lindback.

i have the feeling that he isngiving up too many rebounds.

He is far better than shaky hands Mr Hackett, but I belive we can do better.

Look at the rebounds from yesterday's game versus his first game as a Sabre.  Rebounds are going out to more oblique angles (into the corners) and not right back out in front.  And even the discussed blocker position plays into that - if the surface was perpendicular to the ice it would spray the puck right back on the shooter.  Instead it deflects up and backward.  It's a bit unorthodox but I'm not sure it's an issue.

We probably can do better, but I kind of like the idea of flexibility (i.e., shorter contract) unless we somehow raise Sawchuck from the grave.

Look at the rebounds from yesterday's game versus his first game as a Sabre.  Rebounds are going out to more oblique angles (into the corners) and not right back out in front.  And even the discussed blocker position plays into that - if the surface was perpendicular to the ice it would spray the puck right back on the shooter.  Instead it deflects up and backward.  It's a bit unorthodox but I'm not sure it's an issue.

We probably can do better, but I kind of like the idea of flexibility (i.e., shorter contract) unless we somehow raise Sawchuck from the grave.

I'm inclined to agree with you, but I wish we'd gotten to see something of Chad Johnson's play first.  Unless Murray can successfully re-sign Neuvirth (or Enroth, or someone better) this offseason, I think we're more than likely looking at a 1a/1b goalie situation again next year until either someone established can be brought in or one of the prospects establishes themselves.

I'm inclined to agree with you, but I wish we'd gotten to see something of Chad Johnson's play first.  Unless Murray can successfully re-sign Neuvirth (or Enroth, or someone better) this offseason, I think we're more than likely looking at a 1a/1b goalie situation again next year until either someone established can be brought in or one of the prospects establishes themselves.

I think your right and have no problem with it. There is no goalie controversy till there is a team in front of him capable of scoring. I believe this summer it will be easy to pick up an Enroth or Neuvirth level of goalie if GMTM wants one. He may believe we have one in Chad Johnson.

Edited by Woods-Racer

I think Tim Murray acquires Ben Bishop, somehow, at some point...I think he will be the Sabres starting goalie when they are ready to compete for the playoffs.

Tampa Bay will soon turn their net over to Andrei Vasilevskiy full-time, and will not keep Bishop as a backup on his contract.

(Unless he trades for Subban, Demko or Fucale, and keeps Lindback or Johnson to be the starters for a year, while one of the kids works in Rochester for another year.)

Either way, I think this will be priority #1 this summer, and I honestly don't think he will keep the goalies he currently has.

What the hell is wrong with you people? The only truly awful goalies we have seen this season have been Hackett and Lieuwen. Enroth, Neuvirth and now Lindback have all responded to Irbe's coaching and have given this team a chance to win nearly every game once they (the goalies) got going.

Some of you are all about trading for players not doing well in another system because there's a chance they may thrive in a new location with new coaches, new team mates, a new system, and a new outlook. Why can't that possibly be true for goalies?

What the hell is wrong with you people? The only truly awful goalies we have seen this season have been Hackett and Lieuwen. Enroth, Neuvirth and now Lindback have all responded to Irbe's coaching and have given this team a chance to win nearly every game once they (the goalies) got going.

Some of you are all about trading for players not doing well in another system because there's a chance they may thrive in a new location with new coaches, new team mates, a new system, and a new outlook. Why can't that possibly be true for goalies?

because Buffalo fans are never that lucky... although I think Lindback would be nice to have for a couple more years or until Makarov, Petersson, Ullmark are ready (whichever one rises to the top)

If by "decent backup" you mean "greatest goaltender of all time" then I agree :P

Interesting choice of words.  The current "greatest goaltender of all time" was also traded to the Sabres for peanuts once.  I'd accept blowing the McEichel sweepstakes if we somehow lucked into Hasek 2.0.

Interesting choice of words.  The current "greatest goaltender of all time" was also traded to the Sabres for peanuts once.  I'd accept blowing the McEichel sweepstakes if we somehow lucked into Hasek 2.0.

Abso-F'n-Lootly

Even better, Hasek 2.0 with Gretzky 2.0 in front of him. 

ALL OF THE CUPS!!

I'm desperate for things to feel good about....

A few months back you didn't think we'd get Hanifin/Marner/Strome in the best case scenario. Right now that's the worst case scenario. I think you're reasonable enough to know one of them is still a good outcome even if it's not what we all want.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.