Murray has eye on top pick — in 2016

PASabreFan

He did not say that according to the article.  He did say "“We’re not going to be a Stanley Cup contender next year but I hope we’re on the way up while still having a chance to win the lottery." 

Oy. Was that "while" in there the whole time? It was. Shoot. That does make the prognostication rather weirdly specific.

But, whatever. 

So here's some Joseph Decreux:

joseph-ducreux-fuck-the-police.jpg

I needed that.

Edited by That Aud Smell

I love Timmy but I don't like that quote and while he may have misspoken I think PA's take on it jives more with what was said than everyone else's and I think the content of this thread would be a lot different if he wasn't the one to start it.

He didn't misspeak. He really did mean the Sabres probably won't be a playoff team. That does not imply he's is going to tank again. That does not mean that every team that thinks they won't be a playoff team will purposely start losing from this minute forward. It's another case of twisting what was said to make a ridiculous comment. It's a shame this is what journalism has stooped to in an attempt to create a story. 

Not sure why I even bothered to contribute............................ 

Given the following, what is it exactly we are rooting for next year? Murray wants his team to be better but knows they won't be a playoff team. Sounds like what he said before this season. Why aren't we rooting for losses next season, too?

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/03/11/tank-label-unfair-losing-to-win-not-new-concept-sabres-gm-murray

For one very good reason.  DFL only guarantees the number the No. 4  pick in 2016.

(For rhetorical sake, we'll assume Murray knows this too.)

Every team that  misses the playoffs has a chance at winning the No. 1, 2, or 3 spot. 

I don't think we can really expect a playoff team next year but we can expect a much better team, but if they don't make the playoffs, finish, say 18th. hey, you can still win the sweeps. 

Edited by X. Benedict

For one very good reason.  DFL only guarantees the number the No. 4  pick in 2016.

(For rhetorical sake, we'll assume Murray knows this too.)

Every team that  misses the playoffs has a chance at winning the No. 1, 2, or 3 spot. 

I don't think we can really expect a playoff team next year but we can expect a much better team, but if they don't make the playoffs, finish, say 18th. hey, you can still win the sweeps. 

There is of course this, which was put in place to discourage what the Sabres are doing now.....until the year when there are a pair of McEichel's available and DFL still gets you a piece.... :devil:

The only thing I think the revised lottery is going to encourage or discourage is more bubble teams selling at the deadline.

Or encourage player for prospect deals versus player for pick(s) deals.

Finally read the article--context is a beautiful thing. He was clearly talking about the Sabres chances to win the lottery in light of the changes to the format and his expectation that we're not in the playoffs. He may as well have said "I think we're going to be better, but thanks to the bozos around the league, we're going to have a better chance than in the past to win the lottery, and I hope we do." Much ado about nothing.

Seriously?

Of course not. You make this place better, much better. It was just a jab at the CHL thread.

Finally read the article--context is a beautiful thing. He was clearly talking about the Sabres chances to win the lottery in light of the changes to the format and his expectation that we're not in the playoffs. He may as well have said "I think we're going to be better, but thanks to the bozos around the league, we're going to have a better chance than in the past to win the lottery, and I hope we do." Much ado about nothing.

You didn't need the article for that context. The first part of his quote that I copied and pasted gave the context. Whatever.

His hoping that they're in the running for a top three pick is what there should be much ado about. That's the story here. I thought it would surprise more people given GMTM's comments about a quicker turnaround than expected, his denials that the team has even been tanking, the trade of a pick and prospects for Kane and Bogosian, etc. The idea that next year is about getting better, but not too much better, by hope/design, is a new twist on the immediate future. At least in my eyes.

Seriously, isn't anyone else down for two more Kane style trades, maybe a Snow-like poaching of a team with cap troubles, a good free agent signing, a decent goaltender and let's go win some hockey games?!

Murray talks to much. I think after the honeymoon phase is over here that act will get old. Right now he is enjoying the attention he is getting. I will start paying more attention to what he has to say when he has done more than sell off some UFA'S and be asked to captain the worse team hockey.

Why can't we be next years Calgary or NYI? Why come out and say what he did? I am sick of this loser mentality. If he realistically thinks we are not a playoff team next year THEN DO MORE!! Earn your damn paycheck. Any blind squirrel can sit back and wait for years worth of high draft picks to accumulate.

Expect more from yourself, your coaches, your scouts, and your players. This BS of accepting to not compete for a playoff spot is old. Take TP's nipple out of your mouth and start doing your job. This act is old. What exactly is he saying that DR didn't???? Yet we accept it because Murray GZF's. Give me a break. Put a damn hockey team on the ice and shut the hell up.

Murray talks to much. I think after the honeymoon phase is over here that act will get old. Right now he is enjoying the attention he is getting. I will start paying more attention to what he has to say when he has done more than sell off some UFA'S and be asked to captain the worse team hockey.

Why can't we be next years Calgary or NYI? Why come out and say what he did? I am sick of this loser mentality. If he realistically thinks we are not a playoff team next year THEN DO MORE!! Earn your damn paycheck. Any blind squirrel can sit back and wait for years worth of high draft picks to accumulate.

Expect more from yourself, your coaches, your scouts, and your players. This BS of accepting to not compete for a playoff spot is old. Take TP's nipple out of your mouth and start doing your job. This act is old. What exactly is he saying that DR didn't???? Yet we accept it because Murray GZF's. Give me a break. Put a damn hockey team on the ice and shut the hell up.

Maybe he's just managing expectations.

This was great.

As far as this being trolling or not worthy of discussion, gimme a break. Until this organization does anything worthy of a even a squirt of my piss on the ice, they get no slack and everything is worth questioning. This has been the worst season ever, in every way. It can't end soon enough, and for there to be even an inkling that their "Winning by Losing" campaign could trail into next season is disgusting.

Agreed. He philosophically disagrees with the new lottery rules, admits that he voted against them, but recognizes that under a specific set of circumstances, his team can benefit greatly from them.

Nowhere does he state that the goal is to finish 9th in the conference. Nowhere does he say the goal is to pick in the top three next season. He merely points out where his team can benefit from a set of rule he fundamentally disagrees with.

If the Sabres are fighting for the 8th playoff spot next February, there is no reason to believe that Murray will tank the effort for the opportunity to win the lottery for a top 3 pick.

Maybe he's just managing expectations.

I don't think this aspect can/should be overlooked. If we get one of McDeichel, expectations will be through the roof. And while I'd like to believe that Buffalo fans are savvy and sophisticated, I suspect there is a fair amount of those that don't often travel outside their comfort zones of sound bytes and solving the world's problems in 140 characters or less. 

GO SABRES!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.