Grigorenko

DirtDart

Just got home from the game.  We hung out with the refs after the game -- nice guys.

On Grigs.  I saw a few things.  On the first goal, he did a great job bringing the puck into the zone on the right side then went around the boards (where I was sitting about 10 rows above the ice) got control of the puck and made a great pass to Foligno who shot it - Gionta got the rebound the scored.  It was a great pass with little time to think and he got it to an open man.  

Later - he made a nice no-look pass to Gionta and Kari made a nice save.

Later - he made a very pass to get the puck of his zone into a breaking teammate.

On these plays, there was no time to react and he did something very good with the puck.

I didn't see the play where he got undressed by Seguin.

He just needs to play play play and get up to the speed of the game.  Great hands.

He was trying to get the puck up the rw boards in the neutral zone right after Dallas had pulled ahead. Seguin backchecked well and sent the puck back in deep. Not a horrible play by 'Mike;' he didn't have a lot (any) options and just got beat by a better player.

His play last night should have earned him PP2 time w/ Gionta & Foligno, IMHO. Doubt it does. Hoping for the kid's sake that it doesn't drop him back to 3rd/4th line status; though the thought of 2 functional lines in a 'must lose' game is a bit worrisome. ;)

He just needs to work harder, right Ted?

Clearly. ;)

In particular, he has to train with Matt Ellis and Patrick Kaleta. Because if there's one thing a skill player needs, it's to learn the NHL from grinders.

I did laugh at this a little. Even though the work ethics of those two really are beyond question, I'd rather see him train with Girgensons and Moulson.

That is what Peters is saying on the radio right now.  Grigorenko needs to work harder and smarter in the offseason.

It's hard to know really....what I think is needed is just time playing at speed. Indecision at the NHL level is the real killer.

Slower players than Grigorenko have survived in the league. 

It's hard to know really....what I think is needed is just time playing at speed. Indecision at the NHL level is the real killer.

Slower players than Grigorenko have survived in the league.

The goal that he set up last night was a sign of the progress he's made in decision making - a nice setup, then he followed up with a recapture of the puck along the boards before setting up the shot that led to the rebound goal by Gionta. If he can play at that level consistently he could be ready for the big time.

His play last night should have earned him PP2 time w/ Gionta & Foligno, IMHO. Doubt it does. Hoping for the kid's sake that it doesn't drop him back to 3rd/4th line status; though the thought of 2 functional lines in a 'must lose' game is a bit worrisome. ;)

I noticed he was out there during the last minute with the goalie pulled. So that's something...

I noticed he was out there during the last minute with the goalie pulled. So that's something...

I wasn't watching that closely, Nolan said there were three guys (forwards, I assume) that didn't play much because they didn't earn it. Since I assume Grigs wasn't one of them, who didn't play towards the end?

Nolan:

“The work is never a concern, but the lack of experience hurts you especially when you are playing against experienced teams, you need everybody and we didn’t have everybody tonight. We went down to three lines and three guys didn’t play, didn’t deserve to play, and didn’t warrant any ice time.”

I wasn't watching that closely, Nolan said there were three guys (forwards, I assume) that didn't play much because they didn't earn it. Since I assume Grigs wasn't one of them, who didn't play towards the end?

Nolan:

“The work is never a concern, but the lack of experience hurts you especially when you are playing against experienced teams, you need everybody and we didn’t have everybody tonight. We went down to three lines and three guys didn’t play, didn’t deserve to play, and didn’t warrant any ice time.”

At this point in the season, aren't we auditioning for next year rather than "earning" for this one.

C'est la vie.

Whatever Hodgson has been through this year, you gotta give the kid credit for keeping his yap shut. 

He hasn't thrown anyone under the bus, not even a snide remark. There has to be more than him that knows, just play, don't say anything, it's all a bad dream and in September you will wake up and it will be all gone. Gionta, Moulson, telling the boys to just grin and bear it? There is some faction holding this team together.

Whatever Hodgson has been through this year, you gotta give the kid credit for keeping his yap shut. 

I agree. If Nolan is gone after the season I'd like to see what another more innovative coach can do to bring back Hodgson and Girgs.

Kane   Center X   Ennis

Hodgson  Reinhart   Moulson

Foligno   Girgs  Zemgus

Gionta  Larsson  Deslauriers

McCormick? Kaleta?

Haven't seen him talk to media all year long, and if i was in his postion i wouldn't either because you won't have much good to say.

I agree. If Nolan is gone after the season I'd like to see what another more innovative coach can do to bring back Hodgson and Girgs.

Kane   Center X   Ennis

Hodgson  Reinhart   Moulson

Foligno   Girgs  Zemgus

Gionta  Larsson  Deslauriers

McCormick? Kaleta?

Zemgus will play for two next year :p

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.