Free Agents this summer, who should Sabres pursue and why.

North Buffalo

I think teams with back to back DFL finishes (hopefully) shouldn't really be worried about that...

In an offer sheet, the first would have to be our own, which I am not willing to give up this year or next.

Yes, it would be our 2016 first and 2016 3rd, Edmonton might just let him go because of that, and ideally we would finish as a bubble team so the pick wouldn't be great. Yakupov was a 1st overall pick.

After Markstrom cleared waivers he went crazy in the he AHL. Also, I don't see Montreal's surplus in net.

I think gmtm knew what Markstrom was all about before his little stint.

Montreal has Price, Tokarski, and Fucale. In my mind those 3 all of high potential of being NHL starters. Surplus might have been the wrong word, but there is a high end goalie there with the possibility of getting moved.

What but. eanie! All those sweet nothings he whispered into my ear... all those sweet nights... for naught.  :(

Ask Pittsburgh how happy they are with all those whispers, what a ###### bum. Murray knew what he was doing spending all that money on a buyout.

Every single player on the Sabres roster over the past two years has dogged it at some point. Yes, even Zemgus. It happens. Yet Ehrhoff gets vilified for it.

At some point being the key words, not at every point. He walked out when things got tough. He signed a 1 year deal in the off-season and is doing nothing for Pittsburgh, I would be surprised if anyone signed him to a contract over 3mill this off-season. Has anyone who wants to sign him again seen him play in pitty?

Edited by Naulter8

At some point being the key words, not at every point. He walked out when things got tough. He signed a 1 year deal in the off-seasonand is doing nothing for Pittsburgh, I would be surprised if anyone signed him to a contract over 3mill this off-season. Have anyone who wants to sign him again seen him play in pitty?

Walked out? He was bought out! And if he dogged it at every point he must be as good as Doughty when he's trying because he was still by far our best defenseman last year.

Walked out? He was bought out! And if he dogged it at every point he must be as good as Doughty when he's trying because he was still by far our best defenseman last year.

He had 33 points on the 2013-2014 Sabres.  He scored every single one of those points from his back, while he laid on the blue line.

At some point being the key words, not at every point. He walked out when things got tough. He signed a 1 year deal in the off-season and is doing nothing for Pittsburgh, I would be surprised if anyone signed him to a contract over 3mill this off-season. Has anyone who wants to sign him again seen him play in pitty?

I've watch quite a bit of the Pens. He is a good defense men, but he's not the difference maker I thought he would be. He certainly hasn't pushed the Pens to become the Cup contender they should be. They are still lacking that Bogo type defense men, no team respects the Pens back end.

lol they love him in pittsburgh, they want to keep him longer.  

I'm very close to NFW on Ehrhoff.  I don't think he is GMTM's preferred type of defenseman.

I do think there will be a trade and/or UFA signing that brings a top-4 defenseman, and that Nikita will start the year in Rochester (and that he will have at least one disciplinary issue there -- but that's a discussion for another thread).

I will also call NFW on Stewart and Stafford.

I've watch quite a bit of the Pens. He is a good defense men, but he's not the difference maker I thought he would be. He certainly hasn't pushed the Pens to become the Cup contender they should be. They are still lacking that Bogo type defense men, no team respects the Pens back end.

He had plenty of time before Pittsburgh to be a difference maker.

I'm very close to NFW on Ehrhoff.  I don't think he is GMTM's preferred type of defenseman.

I do think there will be a trade and/or UFA signing that brings a top-4 defenseman, and that Nikita will start the year in Rochester (and that he will have at least one disciplinary issue there -- but that's a discussion for another thread).

I will also call NFW on Stewart and Stafford.

You had better be right on Stafford.

Zad will bolt for KHL, which isn't going to honor any type of agreement, if sent down.

I actually see no reason to spend money on D.  Spend it on W and G right now.  Maybe even one C.

I have no idea what the FA pool looks like out there but I want to see one skilled winger with size and a little nasty in his game to play along side our #1 pick this year to keep the thugs off his back.  I am willing to give up a few goals to make sure our shiny new toy has adequate protection.  Stewart fits, but if there are others I am not terribly fussy.

I know Kane is a tough kid.  Does he come to the defence of his teammates?

I love Stewart for the role.  Guys don't mess with Stewart.  They know what he is capable of.  Even Lucic was reluctant.  That is what I want on McEichel's wing.

I have no idea what the FA pool looks like

There's a link in the first post of the thread that will help you get an idea. Good list. Not many forwards to be had, though. You won't find exactly what you described in free agency, but there are some guys that could contribute to the middle two lines that have some mix of what you mentioned on a smaller scale (Joel Ward, Jaromir Jagr, Justin Williams, Jiri Tlusty, Carl Soderberg, Eric Fehr).

One name worth considering that has done a great job in Vancouver this season that would plug in to our bottom six: Shawn Matthias. He's 6'4, 220. Would be the ideal 4th line center, but he'll probably get paid a little more than that. Mike Santorelli would be another good 4th line center option.

Side note: I was shocked to find out that Joel Ward is older than Justin Williams.

I don't want smaller scale.  I want an insurance policy that can skate with him.

Ok. I was just providing the only names that fit that description in any way. There a good chance we'll have a guy that isn't really looked at as a legitimate top-line winger on the other side of Kane skating with McEichel (if we get them). A guy like Joel Ward or Carl Soderberg could fit the role well without costing a lot and still being capable of playing at a high level as long as McEichel play well early.

But you're not getting that guy in free agency... Pretty much ever. You get them in trades. Normally using guys like Tyler Myers, Drew Stafford, Joel Armia, Brenden Lemieux and picks.

Ok. I was just providing the only names that fit that description in any way. There a good chance we'll have a guy that isn't really looked at as a legitimate top-line winger on the other side of Kane skating with McEichel (if we get them). A guy like Joel Ward or Carl Soderberg could fit the role well without costing a lot and still being capable of playing at a high level as long as McEichel play well early.

But you're not getting that guy in free agency... Pretty much ever. You get them in trades. Normally using guys like Tyler Myers, Drew Stafford, Joel Armia, Brenden Lemieux and picks.

Chris Stewart.   :)

I know Kane is a tough kid.  Does he come to the defence of his teammates?

I love Stewart for the role.  Guys don't mess with Stewart.  They know what he is capable of.  Even Lucic was reluctant.  That is what I want on McEichel's wing.

If you don't mind an older man, what about a certain former SCF captain, now with the Avs, who can be rough and tough and still mentor the kid?

If you don't mind an older man, what about a certain former SCF captain, now with the Avs, who can be rough and tough and still mentor the kid?

He'll put up 20 this year, and he had 30 last year. He could be a nice short-term solution to our second line wing

Chris Stewart.   :)

Meh. I would rather have every guy I named than Stewart if the money is close. For some it won't be, for others it will.

He's not a free agent so we'd have to swing a trade, but I would be happy to bring in Iginla. I think he'll be looking for a contender if he's asked to waive his no-trade clause, though. Two years left on his deal.

That might work.  My concern is, someone needs to watch this kid's back for the first season while he adjusts to how damned fast an NHL defenseman can light you up when you are coming across the middle.  I wish Foligno were a bit better with the gloves off.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.