Free Agents this summer, who should Sabres pursue and why.

North Buffalo

Michal Neuwirth, because he is the best young goalie out there.

Christian Ehrhoff is the perfect fit on defence, although I suspect that bridge is burned.

And I hope we get our first line line right winger in a trade forced by the coming cap crunch, but failing that, Jagr definitely intrigues me.

Edited by Djuda Chekhov

How much easier will the recruiting be if the Sabres have McDavid? Eichel? Will guys want to get in on the ground floor?

Pretty much any goalscoring winger will be looking hard at being the next Matt Moulson or Chris Kunitz.

There's not a great market for them, but there's not going to be a lot of competition with the type of money we will have to spend.

Apparently a lot of teams in a cap crunch. I miss capgeek.

I think Murray tries to re-sign Stewart.  I think someone like Strachan as a cheap 7th/8th depth defenseman (basically his current role) wouldn't be terrible.

I get the feeling some guys will be available via trade in order to create cap space for their current clubs.  Those are guys Murray should seriously consider given we have room to take on some contracts.

I agree that a goalie is a lock, although based on TM's presser yesterday, a trade is at least as likely as a FA.

I also agree that a top-4 defenseman is needed, and likely.

I will say NFW on Stewart.  He was thoroughly mediocre.  Let someone else overpay for him.

I don't normally play the EA Sports GM UFA game on the forum, but just for fun:

1) Offer Marty St Louis a two year deal.  Great inspiration.  Awesome off-ice leader for the kids.  Still produces as a top-six right winger.  Trade him at the end to TBL to retire as a Bolt, if he wants.

2) Do some analytics and determine if Niemi or Fasth or Ramo or Gustavsson are worth going after.  If so, sign one to a three year deal.  Don't consider offer sheeting Holtby, despite his recent upturn. If all else fails, we must trade for a goaltender.

3) Figure out what Cody Hodgson's role is.  If he's not a top-three center, consider signing Mike Fisher.

4) If we still need 3rd line depth, maybe depending on Kaleta's role, have a conversation with Stewart,

This is what you get:

Kane-McEichel-St Louis

Moulson-Girgensens-Ennis

Foligno-Fisher-Stewart

Deslauriers-Hodgson/Grigorenko-Gionta

(plus McCormick and Kaleta)

(not in order:)

McCabe-Bogosian

Gorges-Pysyk

Ristolainen-Zadorov

(plus Weber)

Niemi/Fasth/Ramo/Gustavsson/trade

Johnson

Very loosely, about $15M in new UFA contracts (if we sign a goalie).

That's a very young and very physical defense behind a gritty, veteran group of forwards leading highly talented young forwards.

Mike Fisher is married to Carrie Underwood and they are about to have a kid, he will not be leaving Nashville.  

Outside of that, I actually like your points.  I think Hodgson might make a good fit on that 3rd line RW.  My only remaining question is Sam Reinhart? 

1) Offer Marty St Louis a two year deal. Great inspiration. Awesome off-ice leader for the kids. Still produces as a top-six right winger. Trade him at the end to TBL to retire as a Bolt, if he wants.

2) Do some analytics and determine if Niemi or Fasth or Ramo or Gustavsson are worth going after. If so, sign one to a three year deal. Don't consider offer sheeting Holtby, despite his recent upturn. If all else fails, we must trade for a goaltender.

3) Figure out what Cody Hodgson's role is. If he's not a top-three center, consider signing Mike Fisher.

4) If we still need 3rd line depth, maybe depending on Kaleta's role, have a conversation with Stewart,

This is what you get:

Kane-McEichel-St Louis

Moulson-Girgensens-Ennis

Foligno-Fisher-Stewart

McCabe-Bogosian

Gorges-Pysyk

Ristolainen-Zadorov

(plus Weber)

Johnson

That's a very young and very physical defense behind a gritty, veteran group of forwards leading highly talented young forwards.

... And we have 3 wingers under 5'9"

Kane-McEichel-St Louis

Moulson-Girgensens-Ennis

Foligno-Fisher-Stewart

McCabe-Bogosian

Gorges-Pysyk

Ristolainen-Zadorov

(plus Weber)

Johnson

If I may...

Kane-McEichel-Ennis

Moulson-Reinhart-Girgensons

Foligno-Grigorenko-Gionta/Hodgson

Deslauriers-Larsson-Gionta/Kaleta/Hodgson

Edited by Ligerovich 4GM

1) Offer Marty St Louis a two year deal.  Great inspiration.  Awesome off-ice leader for the kids.  Still produces as a top-six right winger.  Trade him at the end to TBL to retire as a Bolt, if he wants.

2) Do some analytics and determine if Niemi or Fasth or Ramo or Gustavsson are worth going after.  If so, sign one to a three year deal.  Don't consider offer sheeting Holtby, despite his recent upturn. If all else fails, we must trade for a goaltender.

3) Figure out what Cody Hodgson's role is.  If he's not a top-three center, consider signing Mike Fisher.

This is what you get:

Kane-McEichel-St Louis

Moulson-Girgensens-Ennis

Foligno-Fisher-Stewart

McCabe-Bogosian

Gorges-Pysyk

Ristolainen-Zadorov

(plus Weber)

Johnson

St. Louis' wife and her family is from Greenwich CT, he ain't moving either

St. Louis' wife and her family is from Greenwich CT, he ain't moving either

Fair.  But it's only a year or two, and we have $Pegula to spend, within reason.  If he's out, I would think it's not because he wouldn't move away from CT, but rather that he wants to win another Cup before he's 43.

Mike Fisher is married to Carrie Underwood and they are about to have a kid, he will not be leaving Nashville.  

Outside of that, I actually like your points.  I think Hodgson might make a good fit on that 3rd line RW.  My only remaining question is Sam Reinhart? 

Also fair.

And, oops, forgot Samson.  Put him on 2nd line.  I don't mind passing on Fisher if he's Nashville-tied and putting Girgensens on 3rd line duty.  Maybe mix 2nd and 3rd lines somewhat to mix up size and skill.

... And we have 3 wingers under 5'9"

Not overly concerned about it, especially with:

• Their age.  Gionta and St Louis are transition pieces.
  • The size of the other  forwards.  Kane, Grigensens, Foligno, (Fisher), (Stewart), Deslauriers, McCormick, and Kaleta have zero problem holding their own.  Same with the D- Bogosian, Risto, Zadorov, and Weber haven't seemed to be in good moods lately.

Why do people keep putting Kaleta in next year's lineup?

I think he's played his last game as a Sabre.

I hope that's not the case.  Not because the Buffalo lineup is in desperate need, but really for Patty's sake.  I feel like he'd be willing to die for us.

Edited by Я знаю физика

I hope that's not the case.  Not because the Buffalo lineup is in desperate need, but really for Patty's sake.  I feel like he'd be willing to die for us.

Tim Murray says Zero Given.

Seriously, I hope the approach to Kaleta is "Patty, take a look around to see if you are a fit on someone's NHL roster. If not, come back and we will pay you an NHL salary to be a player-assistant in Roch, where you will teach the kids to bleed blue-and-gold, while learning to be a full-time coach.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.