Neuvirth to Isles for Chad Johnson & 2016 3rd

Taro T

Johnson's first real season in the NHL was last year with BOS and he went 17-4, .925, 2.10. Granted this year's numbers aren't nearly as good, but he's been hot in Feb as pointed out by Gorby. He's locked up next year contract wise at a $1.3M cap hit, plus we get a 3rd rounder. I think GMTM may have won this one.

Pretty solid numbers. His numbers may not be great this year because of the team he's on, Halak's numbers ain't that great either. 

This is his 6th team and he hasn't even started 50 games?

Of course this isn't really a blockbuster trade, but I don't really get WHY NYI made this deal, and it made me suspicious that they know something we don't about Johnson. Then I remembered that their GM is Garth Snow.

Of course this isn't really a blockbuster trade, but I don't really get WHY NYI made this deal, and it made me suspicious that they know something we don't about Johnson. Then I remembered that their GM is Garth Snow.

they made the deal because Halak is injury prone and they are making a run as best they can.

I guess, why? Hackett will be allowed to walk. Neuvirth is a good goalie, and while this helps the tank, this doesn't help the Sabres after the draft.

Except it does. If it's the difference between the top two and three then it has helped immensely for the future.

You realize we didn't acquire Johnson for any real hockey reason, right?

You realize we didn't acquire Johnson for any real hockey reason, right?

Like I said, this is not a blockbuster trade, but I do believe there is value here. Johnson is locked up for a year (very cheaply) and might be developing into a legit starter (or solid back-up). Neuvirth is a UFA, and we get a 3rd rounder. Frankly I don't see any downside in this deal for us, unless Neuvirth backstops the Isles to the Cup Finals vs. the Blues and our remaining low 1st rounder is only #29. I'll take this deal all day long and twice on Sundays.

I've been trying to figure out the Isles' angle as well. Johnson has been a disappointment, but he's been coming on. How much of an upgrade is Neuvirth? I read that Capuano, the Isles coach, has talked about building in some rest for Halak down the stretch. I think the unknown variable is some concern on the Island that Halak is not going to hold up.

Like I said, this is not a blockbuster trade, but I do believe there is value here. Johnson is locked up for a year (very cheaply) and might be developing into a legit starter (or solid back-up). Neuvirth is a UFA, and we get a 3rd rounder. Frankly I don't see any downside in this deal for us, unless Neuvirth backstops the Isles to the Cup Finals vs. the Blues and our remaining low 1st rounder is only #29. I'll take this deal all day long and twice on Sundays.

Neuvirth is a big upgrade to Johnson. Many assumed Johnson was a product of a good Bruins defense and have been proven right so far. He's been terrible this year. Nothing he did in New York screams "developing." I highly doubt he's on this team next year.

Guess we're going to see Lindback in goal tomorrow then. It's so embarassing that they are talking on TSN that we traded him because he won us games, and that Tim had to get rid off him. "Neuvirth trade results in tanking"

This whole situation is embarrassing, but that doesn't make it untrue, Johnson was not brought in because hey think he is a better option then Neuvirth, they got rid of him because they didn't want to come up with an excuse for sitting him the rest of the year and he was playing well enough to possibly cost them the precious #30th spot. If they didn't care about that and they felt he was their goalie of the future he would have been made an offer to stay. This move was a dump to continue to lose and get another pick

Neuvirth is a big upgrade to Johnson. Many assumed Johnson was a product of a good Bruins defense and have been proven right so far. He's been terrible this year. Nothing he did in New York screams "developing." I highly doubt he's on this team next year.

Fair enough. But Neuvirth was gonna be gone no matter what (which is good for the tank considering how well he's played). Therefore ANYTHING we get for him is good, and we got a cheap goalie who can battle for a spot next year plus a 3rd rounder. Neuvirth could lead NYI to the Cup and we still have all the upside potential in this deal (limited though it may be).

Fair enough. But Neuvirth was gonna be gone no matter what (which is good for the tank considering how well he's played). Therefore ANYTHING we get for him is good, and we got a cheap goalie who can battle for a spot next year plus a 3rd rounder. Neuvirth could lead NYI to the Cup and we still have all the upside potential in this deal (limited though it may be).

I agree with this. The third is all that matters. Had to move Neuvirth and a third is just fine.

I know the almighty dollar speaks quite loud, but if you were outspoken about a team intentionally tanking, would you go back to that team's management when you became a UFA? I think we have seen the last of Neuvirth.

Because your agent would never talk you into a deal with a young and up coming team, with a fair contract, because they believe you were to good to get to 30th.  Your to good for us now, we need you next year, I'll pay a fair price.... but he will see right through that lie.

I think that this was a great move by Snow.

Johnson sucks and Halak is not as good as many make him out to be.

Neuvirth is inconsistent, but he is also capable of getting very hot.

If Halak is replaced for any reason, don't be surprised if Bjork grabs that crease and doesn't let go.

I hope that doesn't happen because I'd like to see Neuvirth back here.

Listen to his parting comments in context. Nothing there that would prevent him from coming back.

As for Murray, this was one part getting what he could for an asset, two parts tank.

He made it pretty clear he's had conversations about Subban and Jones types that still may come together for next year.

And there are free agents out there.

Johnson is an insurance policy that can play back-up if only one of those possibilities bears fruit.

And you know he will draft a big European with that third.

Edited by Djuda Chekhov

I hope that doesn't happen because I'd like to see Neuvirth back here.

Listen to his parting comments in context. Nothing there that would prevent him from coming back.

Yes, Harrington led him down the garden path. He asked Neuvirth what he thought about comments in the media about the Sabres tanking. I didn't take his comments as an indictment of the organeyezation — I don't know who I am anymore.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.