Trade: Myers, Stafford, Armia, Lemieux, + Low 1st for Kane, Bogosian, and Kasdorf

dudacek

Stafford was even more productive with the Sabres in 2010-11 (over the whole season, but especially during the middle of the season) with centers like Roy and the Tin Man than he is in Winnipeg.  Then, he signed his contract.  Maybe this time will be different, but I wouldn't bet money on it.

I think Stafford's production is just illustrative of how important good centers are to production at wing.

Stafford and Myers aren't playing any better in Winnipeg, they're just getting better results because they're on a much better team.

They are playing better clearly. They are getting better results not only because their team is better, but the coaching is much better. Ted Nolan has some qualities I admire, but his coaching ability is not top quality IMO.

I don't see Nolan getting another NHL job after the Sabres let him go at the end of the season. Frankly, I think they kept Nolan as part of the tank. The team needs new direction behind the bench for sure.

Back to Winnipeg - I believe Murray lost that trade with the Jets by a large margin, but when you let your trading partner know that you covet a player (Kane) you lose bargaining leverage. I could understand Myers and Stafford, but to give up two of your top 5 prospects and a number #1 pick was way too much.  

They are playing better clearly. They are getting better results not only because their team is better, but the coaching is much better. Ted Nolan has some qualities I admire, but his coaching ability is not top quality IMO.

I don't see Nolan getting another NHL job after the Sabres let him go at the end of the season. Frankly, I think they kept Nolan as part of the tank. The team needs new direction behind the bench for sure.

Back to Winnipeg - I believe Murray lost that trade with the Jets by a large margin, but when you let your trading partner know that you covet a player (Kane) you lose bargaining leverage. I could understand Myers and Stafford, but to give up two of your top 5 prospects and a number #1 pick was way too much.

Can we at least wait until Kane plays a game before declaring the cost was way too high?

Can we at least wait until Kane plays a game before declaring the cost was way too high?

Plus I think it is easy to forget Stafford was gone anyhow. Looks like a lot on paper but time will tell. If Armia, Lemieux, and the first all pan out then he overpaid regardless of what Kane does. Murray played the odds that they won't and I am OK with that.

Watching the Stars broadcast of our game the other day, their pre-game team also mentioned how well Winnepeg did on that trade. They were highly generous of their praise of Myers but that Stafford was playing well too but getting the #1 pick was also over the top. They felt with Myers the Pegs could end up with the best and biggest D in the league and they will be tough come playoff time. It was interesting listening to a neutral voice on that but they agreed that was the biggest trade of the deadline.

Some praise for Bog's but Myers offensive skill was just what the Pegs needed on D. Almost no mention of Kane by the way.

Watching the Stars broadcast of our game the other day, their pre-game team also mentioned how well Winnepeg did on that trade. They were highly generous of their praise of Myers but that Stafford was playing well too but getting the #1 pick was also over the top. They felt with Myers the Pegs could end up with the best and biggest D in the league and they will be tough come playoff time. It was interesting listening to a neutral voice on that but they agreed that was the biggest trade of the deadline.

Some praise for Bog's but Myers offensive skill was just what the Pegs needed on D. Almost no mention of Kane by the way.

Not mentioning Kane is like leaving Forsberg out of the Lindros deal.

It's tough to mention Kane at this point because he hasn't played at all for the Sabres. I wouldn't worry about the national perception seeing as we knew this trade was a present value for future value type trade. I would sure as shite hope that Winnepeg would be benefitting in the short term since that was the whole point of the trade.

I'm not sure every trade needs a "winner" and "loser."  Murray moved pieces that didn't fit with what he is trying to do with his team.  I'm not concerned at all that the guys who were moved are producing with their new team given they're now in a new system.

Many on this board seem to discount that the reason we made the trade was to get Evander Kane.  Since he hasn't even set foot on the ice for the Sabres, I think it is too early to proclaim "winners" and "losers."

On that end, with this year's draft + Reinhart + Kane + Bogosian, we will soon have four former top-5 picks in the lineup.

They felt with Myers the Pegs could end up with the best and biggest D in the league and they will be tough come playoff time.

Biggest maybe, but unless he really steps up I don't think Myers as part of "best D in the league.  I was happy enough to have him but I think he was routinely outplayed by a kid playing regularly for the first time (Risto).  Even if Myers steps up his game in WPG, I would counter that the trade was a big part of the improvement (i.e., he wouldn't have improved as much in Buffalo).

I might also point out that the same may be true of Bogo.

Edited by Neuvichs Perchatka

Here's something to take away the sting a bit:

Old friend Joel Armia has zero goals in 14 games with St. John's since being dealt. He was blanked in his last seven as an Amerk.

Still a looong time until we can evaluate the trade, obviously. But after a month, it's fair to say that Jets fans have to be pretty happy. Myers has looked near elite at times. I've watched a bunch of their games and he is already a fan favorite (and their crowd is incredible, they would be great to see in the playoffs). He was having a very good year for us: 28-30 min a game, cut down on mental errors (although still there), and really built on a strong finish to the 13-14 season when Nolan came in. And now he is starring on one of the NHL's hottest teams. I'm happy for him and cheering him on. I'm just hoping Vandy pulls his weight in the trade. 

8 games!!

Here's something to take away the sting a bit:

Old friend Joel Armia has zero goals in 14 games with St. John's since being dealt. He was blanked in his last seven as an Amerk.

Still a looong time until we can evaluate the trade, obviously. But after a month, it's fair to say that Jets fans have to be pretty happy. Myers has looked near elite at times. I've watched a bunch of their games and he is already a fan favorite (and their crowd is incredible, they would be great to see in the playoffs). He was having a very good year for us: 28-30 min a game, cut down on mental errors (although still there), and really built on a strong finish to the 13-14 season when Nolan came in. And now he is starring on one of the NHL's hottest teams. I'm happy for him and cheering him on. I'm just hoping Vandy pulls his weight in the trade. 

8 games!!

I'm glad to see that Myers is doing well.  Armia, apparently, is destined for the AHL, so no real loss there.  

In a few months, Stafford will sign elsewhere for a five year deal as a top six RW and he will frustrate that team with streaks of inconsistency yet score 24 goals. He will have helped Winnipeg's playoff push but is one asset gone.

Myers will stay at his current level and be a decent #3D but never be a "tough" shut down D.

Armia may never make the next step and be an emergency call up for a few years and return to Finland for 2017.

Lemieux can break through as a 3rd or 4th line grinder with a scoring touch, but some tough guys will want to shut his yap and may knock him down a peg.

Draft pick is a wait and see, but Cheveldayoff has done well in recent years.

Kane can shut everybody up with a 30 goal season and some grit.

Bogo is our tough shut down D.

Kasdorf will probably fade away after a stint in Rochester.

Edited by French Collection

In a few months, Stafford will sign elsewhere for a five year deal as a top six RW and he will frustrate that team with streaks of inconsistency yet score 24 goals. He will have helped Winnipeg's playoff push but is one asset gone.

Myers will stay at his current level and be a decent #3D but never be a "tough" shut down D.

Armia may never make the next step and be an emergency call up for a few years and return to Finland for 2017.

Lemieux can break through as a 3rd or 4th line grinder with a scoring touch, but some tough guys will want to shut his yap and may knock him down a peg.

Draft pick is a wait and see, but Cheveldayoff has done well in recent years.

Kane can shut everybody up with a 30 goal season and some grit.

Bogo is our tough shut down D.

Kasdorf will probably fade away after a stint in Rochester.

Myers is playing more than anyone on the team and shut down Ovechkin a couple of games ago while averaging about .67 points a game.

Who knows where and what Stafford will do but he is looking good in a Jets uni right now. 16 points in 19 games and a +4 with 6 minutes in penalties.

Nobody knows if Armia and Lemieux will play in the NHL but most scouts think they will and will for years.

1st pick in a deep draft with Chevy's drafting history makes me optimistic.

Kasdorf will never have a career in the NHL.

Bogo gets hurt or has other "problems" and misses games ALL the time. He's played what 14 games and is a -2 with 32 penalty minutes. I'd take Myers every day all day over Bogo.

Kane? He averaged .3 goals a game for the Jets and gets 6m a year!!!!

A cancer in the room and most people are glad he is gone.

I will bet anyone that he is gone from the Sabres at the end of his contract if not before.

How is he going to feel when the number one draft pick gets all the limelight and he is playing second fiddle?

Myers would have to ###### the bed and Stafford would have to sign elsewhere plus Armia and Lemieux tank to even suggest the Jets didn't win this trade.

Edited by Ducky

Or maybe Myers and Bogo are both top-pairing defencemen playing different, but important roles for their teams, Kane becomes in Buffalo what circumstances meant he couldn't become in the Peg and two of Armia, Lemieux and the pick become useful NHLers, and both teams benefit?

Your comments on Bogosian sound a lot like what some people here were saying about Myers before the trade.

Edited by dudacek