Trade: Myers, Stafford, Armia, Lemieux, + Low 1st for Kane, Bogosian, and Kasdorf

dudacek

And how are we feeling this morning?  Starting to appreciate the thought of the below on opening night?

Kane-Eichel-Moulson

Ennis-Reinhart-Zemgus

Foligno-Ryan O'Reilly-Griggy

Deslauriers-McC-Kaleta

Bogo-Gorges

Risto-Nikita

Pysyk-Weber

I know I am.

I like

Kane-McDavid-Moulson

Stewart-Reinhart-Zemgus

Foligno-Griggy-Ennis

Deslauriers-Flynn-Rudewehl

Bogo-Gorges

Risto-Nikita

Pysyk-Free Agent Signing

And goalie...  hmm ... Buehler... Buehler.... Buehler...

Edited by wjag

He was an RFA then, his negotiation power was limited and he wanted to get paid after his rookie contract, which he has now.  UFA is a totally different ball game.

The Sabres MAY be worse, but the western conference is stronger, and the playoff race to the finish is going to be intense for pretty much every team in the West.  Edmonton also just lost their best player for 6 weeks to injury.  I personally think they will finish lower than the Sabres this season.

I like

Kane-McDavid-Moulson

Stewart-Reinhart-Zemgus

Foligno-Griggy-Ennis

Deslauriers-Flynn-Rudewehl

Bogo-Gorges

Risto-Nikita

Pysyk-Free Agent Signing

And goalie...  hmm ... Buehler... Buehler.... Buehler...

O.o

Dude, Rudy has totally shown he could be a 4th line grinder. :)

There are way too many players in the NHL who were Leafs fans growing up for them to all play for the Leafs.  

Lots of kids have no interest playing for their hometown, but the Canucks have had a good track record of bringing a lot of them on the team.  I dont think Reinhart has any desire to come to Vancouver, has never given me a reason to think that...Kane is another story though.

It'll be interesting to see in three years, but realistically fans of good players always want to believe they'll choose home-town over other considerations. Buffalonians were all over P. Kane until he signed that giant deal last summer (?) and were frothing at the mouth when it turned out Callahan was going to be traded from the Rangers last year. It could happen, but I think agents are always in a player's ear saying "big contract" or "put yourself in the best place for the next big contract". Perhaps Vancouver will be the right fit or Kane has a stronger than what seems normal drive to play there, but I wouldn't count on it, especially if Buffalo is turning/turned around by then.

Any sense that Vancouver was in on E. Kane? 

Either way, we don't really know what Kane's value will be in 3 years or if Benning (or whoever) Vancouver will have any interest

Yeah, everywhere I read said that Vancouver made the most sense as a landing destination for Kane.  The deals that were floating around were outrageous though, if that was the price I am glad they didn't trade for him, and better off to try again later.

Yeah, everywhere I read said that Vancouver made the most sense as a landing destination for Kane.  The deals that were floating around were outrageous though, if that was the price I am glad they didn't trade for him, and better off to try again later.

Anywhere outside the Vancouver media/forums? I don't pay attention to league-wide news (or frankly, Buffalo news other than what I read here) so I'm really asking. I've just seen hometown news being more hopeful than objective (Hi, Toronto!).

who did they bring home?

The 3 guys who publicly said they would love to come home to BC to play for the Canucks: Mitchell, Hamhuis and Garrison.

Anywhere outside the Vancouver media/forums? I don't pay attention to league-wide news (or frankly, Buffalo news other than what I read here) so I'm really asking. I've just seen hometown news being more hopeful than objective (Hi, Toronto!).

It was all over TSN, which is national news (mostly Toronto haha)

Teams calling Chevy about trading Myers by Dreger on TSN Insider Trading 

Dreger: "The Winnipeg Jets aren't done yet either. Obviously Kevin Cheveldayoff is still in the market. He wants to add a forward. Another top-9 if he can. Even better, a top-6 and he has some flexibility financially to do that. But this is curious. Teams are already calling and asking about the availability of Tyler Myers. He just acquired Tyler Myers from the Buffalo Sabres, and teams are wondering if Cheveldayoff would maybe flip Myers for that forward that he's looking for. It's not going to happen. At least not in-season. They want to make sure Tyler Myers is as good a fit as they think he will be in Winnipeg.

Here's  nice recap of Kane's "character issues"

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/a-timeline-of-kanes-indiscretions-with-jets/

Lots of smoke but very little fire. It will be interesting to see how things go for him in Buffalo, which isn't exactly a big city, but has a lot more experience dealing with — and probably different expectations of — rich young athletes.

I'm also very intrigued by reports that Kane's agent is very tight with Murray, to the point that he was strongly rumoured for a management job here.

It's Craig Oster, whom by the way, is also Ryan O'Reilly's agent.

Some very nice fuel for us message board conspiracy theorists.

I hope this deal doesn't come and bite us in the @ss. We gave up too much for these two. I don't care about Stafford and I know they wanted Lemieux but Armia and a first. Yes one of those two but not both. I know so many people I play hockey with saying Buffalo overpaid. I didn't mind Myers but I thought that Winnipeg was desperate to do a deal and who really knows what other teams were offering. Don't get me wrong Kane is a good player but their is a lot of issues here. Hopefully this works out like the McNabb trade.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

I hope this deal doesn't come and bite us in the @ss. We gave up too much for these two. I don't care about Stafford and I know they wanted Lemieux but Armia and a first. Yes one of those two but not both. I know so many people I play hockey with saying Buffalo overpaid. I didn't mind Myers but I thought that Winnipeg was desperate to do a deal and who really knows what other teams were offering. Don't get me wrong Kane is a good player but their is a lot of issues here. Hopefully this works out like the McNabb trade.

I'm with you.  Buffalo massively overpaid.  We shall see.

How is it massively overpayment?

The two D-men swap is a push. Stafford is a rental. It wasn't even a given if Armia was going to make the Sabres (oof), Lemieux is still 50/50 to be a NHL regular, and late 1st rounders are 50/50 at best for the same. That's and aweful lot of maybes for a 4th overall known impact player. That's worth it to me to know that we have a guy who can play next year, rather than wait three years to maybe find out if we hit on one of them.

Based on what criteria? The KNOWN quantitative assessments of the NHL players involved? Hardly. Kane is the best player in the trade and Bogosian and Myers are, at WORST, a wash, even though I give Bogosian the big edge in playing D. Advantage: Buffalo

Based on the UNKNOWN quantitative assessments of Armia and Lemieux? I don't see how it's even possible to venture a guess about those prospects given that collectively they've had a cup of coffee in the bigs. Advantage: push. 

Based on the lowest #1 draft pick in the upcoming draft? A player not even identified at this point? 

It will be several years before ANY of the prospects can even begin to factor in the equation. 

GO SABRES!!!

How is it massively overpayment?

The two D-men swap is a push. Stafford is a rental. It wasn't even a given if Armia was going to make the Sabres (oof), Lemieux is still 50/50 to be a NHL regular, and late 1st rounders are 50/50 at best for the same. That's and aweful lot of maybes for a 4th overall known impact player. That's worth it to me to know that we have a guy who can play next year, rather than wait three years to maybe find out if we hit on one of them.

The Sabres gave up 2 prospects and a #1 draft pick for a guy with a busted shoulder.

Kane for Myers is even up.  Is Bogosian and that K guy worth Stafford, Armia, Lemieux and a number 1 draft pick?  I think it is a massive overpayment.

Edit:

I should add, I like having Kane on the Sabres.  I just think the price was steep.

Edited by wjag

The Sabres gave up 2 prospects and a #1 draft pick for a guy with a busted shoulder.

Kane for Myers is even up.  Is Bogosian and that K guy worth Stafford, Armia, Lemieux and a number 1 draft pick?  I think it is a massive overpayment.

Myers and Bogosian even up (just about, throw in the meh goalie prospect and you're even). Kane for Armia, Lemieux, a first and a third (that we would've gotten for Stafford otherwise).

Edit:

I should add, I like having Kane on the Sabres.  I just think the price was steep.

What Tank said. Stafford had little value as an UFA after this season.

Edited by SwampD

Myers and Bogosian even up (just about, throw in the meh goalie prospect and you're even). Kane for Armia, Lemieux, a first and a third (that we would've gotten for Stafford otherwise).

Either I am over valuing Myers or you are over valuing Bogosian.

I think Kane for Myers could have been done, especially since the Winnipeg divorce was in progress.

What Tank said. Stafford had little value as an UFA after this season.

Stafford can be a 15-20 goal scorer on the right team.  I think you are undervaluing him.

Either I am over valuing Myers or you are over valuing Bogosian.

I think Kane for Myers could have been done, especially since the Winnipeg divorce was in progress.

Stafford can be a 15-20 goal scorer on the right team.  I think you are undervaluing him.

If he was signed he would have been worth more. Why would a team trade anything of value for a guy that could walk in 2 months?