Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

How does extending Kyle Williams for another year at $10.5M give the Bills relief from his $6.4M cap hit?

Kyle Williams - DL - Bills

Bills signed DT Kyle Williams to a one-year, $10.5 million contract extension through 2017.

Williams was scheduled to count $6.4 million against the cap this season, and this is likely a move to help knock that number down after the Bills' recent spending spree. Soon-to-be 32-year-old Williams has really blossomed into one of the best defensive tackles. He has 20.5 sacks over the past three seasons.
Edited by That Aud Smell

How does extending Kyle Williams for another year at $10.5M give the Bills relief from his $6.4M cap hit?

Kyle Williams - DL - Bills

Bills signed DT Kyle Williams to a one-year, $10.5 million contract extension through 2017.

Williams was scheduled to count $6.4 million against the cap this season, and this is likely a move to help knock that number down after the Bills' recent spending spree. Soon-to-be 32-year-old Williams has really blossomed into one of the best defensive tackles. He has 20.5 sacks over the past three seasons.

In the NFL the salary hit is based off the average of the bonuses plus the salary, so the cap hit can shift around a bit year to year. I would guess that the $10.5 number is low on bonuses/guaranteed and high on salary, which would knock down the cap hit this year.

I think :unsure:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/hanging-it-up-retirement-is-the-latest-nfl-trend/

http://grantland.com/features/sam-bradford-st-louis-rams/

In an effort to continue my "Sam Bradford is overrated" campaign, I direct your attention to the above article from Bill Barnwell. In the first article feel free to skip to the Bradford-Foles section.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/hanging-it-up-retirement-is-the-latest-nfl-trend/

In an effort to continue my "Sam Bradford is overrated" campaign, I direct your attention to the above article from Bill Barnwell. In the first article feel free to skip to the Bradford-Foles section.

Very interesting stuff there TrueBlue. It appears that Bradford is the actual captain checkdown all along...

Pretty interesting article.  Doesn't paint a pretty picture.

In the NFL the salary hit is based off the average of the bonuses plus the salary, so the cap hit can shift around a bit year to year. I would guess that the $10.5 number is low on bonuses/guaranteed and high on salary, which would knock down the cap hit this year.

I think :unsure:

Right. I don't get it.

I understood that the annual cap hit is your base in that year plus the pro-rated share of the signing bonus over the life of the deal.

So, I'm just unclear on how an extension through 2017 lowers the cap hit this year.

Was this a re-structuring? Is he taking less money this year? Was the extension paid in part as bonus? Does the extension get the benefit of his entire existing contract's numbers? Is the extension guaranteed?

Many questions.

Right. I don't get it.

I understood that the annual cap hit is your base in that year plus the pro-rated share of the signing bonus over the life of the deal.

So, I'm just unclear on how an extension through 2017 lowers the cap hit this year.

Was this a re-structuring? Is he taking less money this year? Was the extension paid in part as bonus? Does the extension get the benefit of his entire existing contract's numbers? Is the extension guaranteed?

Many questions.

Can you tell I tried to help explain and then halfway through my original post I got confused and just punted the question? :lol:

Whatever his bonuses are to this point now will be spread out one extra season.

If you have four spoons of peanut butter for two pieces of bread then it's two spoons per bread but then suddenly somebody gives you two more pieces then it'll be one spoon per.

Whatever his bonuses are to this point now will be spread out one extra season.

If you have four spoons of peanut butter for two pieces of bread then it's two spoons per bread but then suddenly somebody gives you two more pieces then it'll be one spoon per.

but don't you add an extra $10M in peanut butter to spread?

Or is this where my bonuses vs. salary thoughts come in?

Good reads. Based on this, Bradford is exactly what I DON'T want in a Bills QB - a dinker and dunker. That is one of my biggest complaints about EJ, just like it was about Captain Checkdown Edwards - they never throw the deep ball. You have to at least TRY.

Good reads. Based on this, Bradford is exactly what I DON'T want in a Bills QB - a dinker and dunker. That is one of my biggest complaints about EJ, just like it was about Captain Checkdown Edwards - they never throw the deep ball. You have to at least TRY.

You have to throw it AND complete it OR draw the PI like Flacco does ALL the freakin time..

but don't you add an extra $10M in peanut butter to spread?

Or is this where my bonuses vs. salary thoughts come in?

That's where that comes in. It's probably mostly in guaranteed salary in that $10.5M so it wouldn't spread.

Chip Kelly claims he was offered a first-round pick for Sam Bradford this morning.

That's where that comes in. It's probably mostly in guaranteed salary in that $10.5M so it wouldn't spread.

Chip Kelly claims he was offered a first-round pick for Sam Bradford this morning.

At least we know it's not the Bills. Unless it's a pick in 2016. Please no...

Exactly--all depends on what the $10 million is. If it's just base salary on the 3rd season, then it only counts against the cap in that season.

so just spitballing, K Williams gets a standard $250k workout bonus and a $9.75M salary that year, which would lower his cap hit this year since only the $250k is added to the spread but is spread over another year. The extended year cap hit however, is the $9.75 + avg of bonuses throughout the contract.

Got it :thumbsup:

Cardinals are the only team that comes to mind.

The Bills announced that Harvin is in town... I really don't get it. He's been labeled a locker room cancer, tried to fight his teammates, gets hurt often and is at a position that the team doesn't need to spend highly on.

Doug Whaley even said during his presser that the cap space is getting eaten up... So what's the plan? Let Harvin eat up the rest?

The Bills announced that Harvin is in town... I really don't get it. He's been labeled a locker room cancer, tried to fight his teammates, gets hurt often and is at a position that the team doesn't need to spend highly on.

Doug Whaley even said during his presser that the cap space is getting eaten up... So what's the plan? Let Harvin eat up the rest?

This has to be a Roman/Ryan move. Roman had a Harvin guy in Crabtree in SF

He apparently had a very good relationship with Rex Ryan and WR coach Sanjay Lal. So it is probably a visit to see the old staff and see what we have to offer.

Arizona won't be looking to acquire another QB with injury issues. Cleveland is the one that comes to mind. They have two firsts this year.

Completely slipped my mind  :doh:

Good call, they would definitely be the front runners for him. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.