2015 IIHF World Juniors

WildCard

McDavid looked merely pedestrian in that 2nd period but that may have something to do with that blocked shot ? Samson has a couple assists but the thing that stands out to me more is how easy he is to push off the puck.

Sam strikes me as an outside guy. He did last year and still does. Not sure how much stronger he'll become on the puck but he's a rare breed that can change I think.

Reinhart isnt flashy but quietly puts up points. Yes we know he needs to put on more muscle. So if Buffalo finishes with the third pick do u pick up that defenseman from the USA and trade Myers for some offense? It should be interesting to see how Canada plays against Eichel because right now he looks pretty darn good.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

Reinhart isnt flashy but quietly puts up points. Yes we know he needs to put on more muscle. So if Buffalo finishes with the third pick do u pick up that defenseman from the USA and trade Myers for some offense? It should be interesting to see how Canada plays against Eichel because right now he looks pretty darn good.

If I'm at 3 my first call is to 4 to see how much they would give for the chance to take Hanifin. If it's not significant then I take Hanifin. If it is then I move down and take Strome.

Sam strikes me as an outside guy. He did last year and still does. Not sure how much stronger he'll become on the puck but he's a rare breed that can change I think.

I'm hoping the rest of this season and the offseason he bulks up a bit. My other thought is with his game being the cliche'd ' cerebral ' game that maybe he just doesn't waste much effort fighting through ? I'm not sure. I really haven't watched him play that much.

If I'm at 3 my first call is to 4 to see how much they would give for the chance to take Hanifin. If it's not significant then I take Hanifin. If it is then I move down and take Strome.

Whoever is sitting at 3 will have numerous offers. All one needs to do is look at Eckblad in Florida. And Hannifan is supposedly better than him.

I watched most of the Canada-Slovakia blowout to see how Reinhart's game looks. He made a great no look pass for his first assist, and he seems to see the ice well in the offensive zone. He is definitely not physical on the puck, and I'd like to see him shoot more - which are the same criticisms made by many posters here about his brief time with the Sabres. I did not see any of the games he played with the Sabres (living in Bruins land).

If I recall, CoHo had a solid World Juniors, playing a similar style. I think we'd all agree that it'd be a major disappointment if Reinhart turned into that type of pro! At this point, Sam reminds me a lot of Pierre Turgeon. I guess that would not be a bad result, but he would then be an ideal #2 center long term, not a cornerstone. Not a fan of the tank, but who wouldn't love McEichel and Reinhart as #1 and 2 centers?

PS I just reread the above before posting, and I realize I sound like Captain Obvious, without a fresh point to be found! Oh well, guess that's why I mostly lurk.

Happy New Year to all! I'll be reading often, because this is one of the best sites around!

I watched most of the Canada-Slovakia blowout to see how Reinhart's game looks. He made a great no look pass for his first assist, and he seems to see the ice well in the offensive zone. He is definitely not physical on the puck, and I'd like to see him shoot more - which are the same criticisms made by many posters here about his brief time with the Sabres. I did not see any of the games he played with the Sabres (living in Bruins land).

If I recall, CoHo had a solid World Juniors, playing a similar style. I think we'd all agree that it'd be a major disappointment if Reinhart turned into that type of pro! At this point, Sam reminds me a lot of Pierre Turgeon. I guess that would not be a bad result, but he would then be an ideal #2 center long term, not a cornerstone. Not a fan of the tank, but who wouldn't love McEichel and Reinhart as #1 and 2 centers?

PS I just reread the above before posting, and I realize I sound like Captain Obvious, without a fresh point to be found! Oh well, guess that's why I mostly lurk.

Happy New Year to all! I'll be reading often, because this is one of the best sites around!

Post more often. We need more posters. And don't worry we are all Captain Obvious at times. If I had a dollar for everytime I have posted or read that we need McEichle my kids would have had their best xmas ever.

Please post more. And don't worry about being Captain Obvious; my posts are all terrible and it never stops me.

Whoever is sitting at 3 will have numerous offers. All one needs to do is look at Eckblad in Florida. And Hannifan is supposedly better than him.

Most of the talk to get to one last year was to draft Reinhart, actually. At least from Vancouver's standpoint.

Most of the talk to get to one last year was to draft Reinhart, actually. At least from Vancouver's standpoint.

I think he's just talking about the impact that a stud defensive prospect could make immediately since Eckblad has proven to be able to contibute right away and Hanifan has been rated better than Eckblad by many people.

Most teams drafting near the top tend to draft forwards with all else being equal because defensive players tend to take longer to develop but once McDavid and Eichel are off the board Hanifin is pretty much the consensus #3 and with the success of Eckblad teams who need defense now would be more willing to offer assets to try to move up and get him.

I don't think his point has anything to do with Reinhart or drafting 1 or 2 since it's almost a guarantee at this point that McEichel go 1 and 2.

I think he's just talking about the impact that a stud defensive prospect could make immediately since Eckblad has proven to be able to contibute right away and Hanifan has been rated better than Eckblad by many people.

Most teams drafting near the top tend to draft forwards with all else being equal because defensive players tend to take longer to develop but once McDavid and Eichel are off the board Hanifin is pretty much the consensus #3 and with the success of Eckblad teams who need defense now would be more willing to offer assets to try to move up and get him.

I don't think his point has anything to do with Reinhart or drafting 1 or 2 since it's almost a guarantee at this point that McEichel go 1 and 2.

Thank you for answering that for me. Exactly what I meant.

I like when somebody mentions a prospect and they're automatically liked and assumed to be first-round talents.

Don't know anything about Bondra other than that he isn't really considered a top prospect. Could rise fast, though. He's producing at a higher clip (more points in a third of the games this year compared to last).

Watched both US and Canada games yesterday. My takeaways:

• Eichel is freaking awesome. Far and away the best game of anyone I saw yesterday. Elite with his passing and his puck handling, but he's also big with an edge and such a smooth skater. Coaches rode him hard. He seemed to be on the ice every second shift and he always had the puck.
  • McDavid has a great burst and hustles. Looked good but didn't match the hype.
  • Hanifan skates really well, but was otherwise unremarkable. Not on the power play. Coaches seemed to prefer Werenski, but he wasn't exactly a standout either.
  • USA really seemed to stack its ice time and mix up the lines a lot; their top five or six guys played a ton. The bottom guys sporadically.
  • Compher was in the bottom half. Started as the fourth line centre and a second-unit PK guy. Only sporadically got ice time in the second period, and not at all in OT. Seemed to play a little more in the third with the game on the line. He skated hard and looked for contact, but didn't show any playmaking ability. To be honest, he reminded me of Torrey Mitchell.
  • Fasching was another story. One of the most noticeable American forwards. Caused a lot of turnovers and was a bull along the wall and in front of the net. He doesn't have elite skill, but he's big, faster than I thought and might have enough skill to play in the top six. He and Larkin played a regular shift together at even strength and were the number one PK unit.
  • Larkin was the second-best American player, IMO. There's some Zemgus in that kid.
  • The Reinhart line toyed with the Slovaks. Duclair and Domi looked very skilled on his wings. Nick Petan and Brayden Point (skilled little guys we could have had in the second round) flashed a lot of skill as well. I wonder if that will translate to tougher opposition.
  • Samson's vision and positioning at the this level is everything they say. First unit PP, first-unit PK, first line ice time. He's always going to leave the highlight reel guys wanting more, but coaches and people who appreciate the nuances of the game have to love this guy. His no-look pass out of his skates on the first Fabbri goal was a thing of subtle beauty.

Edited by dudacek

He's currently not projected as a first round pick. Limited exposure and he has work to do on his game. supposedly skates really well and is an offensive guy. Someone to watch at worlds.

Don't know anything about Bondra other than that he isn't really considered a top prospect. Could rise fast, though. He's producing at a higher clip (more points in a third of the games this year compared to last).

Thanks, if nothing else the kids got size.

I like when somebody mentions a prospect and they're automatically liked and assumed to be first-round talents.

Because people don't usually bring up 5th round talent, so assuming he's a 1-2 round pick isn't far fetched.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.