GDT: Kings at Sabres, 12/9/14, 7:30 pm, NBCSN

nfreeman

Forgive me for stating the obvious, but that was a helluva performance by Enroth.

As for whether the game was boring: I appreciated the tension, the bend-but-don't-break D and the killer goaltending but the Sabres didn't generate nearly enough offense. There wasn't enough pressure on the forecheck -- which there has been in a number of recent games. I suppose the Kings had plenty to do with that though.

They really could use about 5 good forwards.

Great game by Ennis.

Two things:

Can you just imagine what this team would be like with a real number one line? I think on a good team the Sabres' present number one is a number two line. Everything else remaining the same, including Weber, I think it could be one hell of team with this coaching staff and the mindset they're developing.

Another thing, Ennis, damn, boy, I had him mis-cast a few seasons ago when I thought he was being tainted by the old core. He doesn't quit. I know Z is everyone's vote for captain, but I'm beginning to think that Ennis could just as well become captain material.

Extremely low chance. Those types don't come out of nowhere.

This is true; they all come out of mommies.

I think with one more top 10 draft pick forward, we'll be the team with 10 20-goal scorers. It doesn't really matter how you get to 250 as long as you get there.

Getting McEichel just gets us to 280.

Zemgus, Moulson, Ennis, Reinhart, Grigorenko, Armia, 2015 1st Rounder, one defenseman and 2 of our 334 second round picks all could easily be 20 goal scorers.

kinda like the 05-06 team

I think with one more top 10 draft pick forward, we'll be the team with 10 20-goal scorers. It doesn't really matter how you get to 250 as long as you get there.

Getting McEichel just gets us to 280.

Zemgus, Moulson, Ennis, Reinhart, Grigorenko, Armia, 2015 1st Rounder, one defenseman and 2 of our 334 second round picks all could easily be 20 goal scorers.

kinda like the 05-06 team

That's assuming they all workout.

I think Kopitar was furious by the end of the game, he thrusted his stick into the concrete as they walked off after the game and I can understand why.

Most of the game Girgs was his shadow and he was flattened by a big 19 year old.

Great win!

The Legend of Zemgus grows. Really, I mean he's one of our best offensive talents and our best defensive forward. And he and Ennis are really clicking.

I think the New Core is starting to come together.

Line 1: ?, ?, ?

Line 2: Ennis, Gus, ?

Line 3: ?, Grigorenko?, ?

Line 4: Deslauriers, ?, ?

D1: Myers, ?

D2: Zad, Risto

D3: ?, ?

This is my projection on where we will be in a year or so. This is the start of the core. I put a question mark after Grigs only because he's not up with Buffalo yet (but has done a stint with the Sabres). Also, I could see Myers staying or leaving. The rest of the youth will come in and fill in the ?s.

But that's the beginning of the core as I see it. And several current players may still be here (Line 4 might not change from its current composition right away, for instance). But a year, 2, 3 years, down the road, these are the guys that will be at the center of it all.

Edited by Neuvirths Glove

I hear the argument that winning like this is "not sustainable." I agree, it's not. But the Sabres are learning how to win. First they'll win "non-sustainably" but then they'll close up the holes in their game. But for now, just win. Get used to what it feels like. And really, until the 3rd period, there wasn't the sense that the Kings were outplaying the Sabres. Both teams had their chances. I think the Sabres sat back a bit in the 3rd after the goal, but except for a couple shifts they played sound defense in their own zone.

Different sport. There are plenty of NFL bodies that are celebrated for being out of shape. I also question the "professionalism" of the NFL at this point.

You said "professional athletes." ;) Don't move the goalposts. We don't do that here. Right guys!? I know I don't do that. Ever.

Yes. Very entertaining from the tension/battle perspective.

A truth about this Sabres team that doesn't get enough posting: they hit.

Seventeen hits in the first period alone. In the latter days of Darcy's Darlings we'd need six or seven periods to reach that total.

And this was against the Stanley Cup champion LA Kings, hockey's heaviest team.

How long have we been waiting for a team that finished its checks?

Teddy is starting to make his mark.

And this is starting to become a team I can root for.

PS: Maybe Zadorov's best NHL game.

They hit because they don't have the puck. :lol:

I'll take every win. (Here's the but) But......this is more of what I expected to see at the start of the season. I'm okay with it, but we will win when hard work and luck team up.

This isn't a formula for winning consistently.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.