(716) Food and Sport discussion

mjd1001

i went on Dec 31 for lunch... it was crazy busy but the staff is super nice. My cousin works for the Sabres so he emailed Dominic and got reservations but without that we only would have had to wait about 30 min they said. The astheics of the place are awesome, and I'd love to just hang out and watch the big screen all day, but the food is trying to be too fancy if you ask me. i don't like weird stuff, just regular (some would say boring) food is what I like so when everything has Aieoli (??) spread on it or some strange crumble cheese or stuff like that, I'd rather not be bothered. But I got the chicken finger sub without all that nonsense and it was good. Don't sit near the upstairs door, you'll be freezing cold (only like three tables along the edge but still wanted to mention it). The staff was super nice and attentive. The deserts are really good too.

Good deal. Everyone has said the staff is really nice. I was impressed with the menu on paper...I thought they had a good mix of standards and a little fufu. It seems like everyone is a bit underwhelmed though, especially given a wait.

Good deal. Everyone has said the staff is really nice. I was impressed with the menu on paper...I thought they had a good mix of standards and a little fufu. It seems like everyone is a bit underwhelmed though, especially given a wait.

Yeah looking at the menu, they do have Beer can chicken and pizza. Not too fufu, if you ask me.

According to all the hub bub, you'll need to get there 3 hours before game time.

Yeah, idk, I'm pretty confused there. It sounds like the place tells everyone 1-2 hour wait, but everyone here was seated within 10-30 mins.

Is that really any different that Pearl St Brewery, though? The one time I tried, that place was jammed even 2 hours ahead of time.

I've been there about 5 times before games, and never waited more than 15 mins.

Yeah, idk, I'm pretty confused there. It sounds like the place tells everyone 1-2 hour wait, but everyone here was seated within 10-30 mins.

I've been there about 5 times before games, and never waited more than 15 mins.

Huh... I must've just gotten unlucky, then. Figured that was the norm since it's a bigger place close to the arena.

Huh... I must've just gotten unlucky, then. Figured that was the norm since it's a bigger place close to the arena.

pearl st was pretty busy each time I went, just never waited long to sit. Maybe I've gotten lucky? Either way, it's either Pearl or 716 for my next visit!

Wait has gotten better. I walked in on a game night about 6:45 and got a table for 3 right away. Granted, it was a Tuesday. The food is good, but then I like Pearl and apparently people think that's disgusting; the two are very comparable to me. I'd agree that its not worth a 2-3 hour wait, but I'd wait a half hour or so without complaining.

Food is decent to average on an Excellent-Great-Good-Decent-Average-Underpar-Poor-Bad-Terrible scale. Prices are comparable to other sport bars. Menu isn't littered with things (a benefit) so it won't take long to pick something from the menu. Drinks are quite good if going to try different drinks. From talking with a few bartenders, they have bartended for years so if you have a certain drink you like that's not on the menu just ask for it. Wait time is decent now (30-45min). Still best to avoid the place for a 'quick' meal unless its appetizers at the bar or just drinks. Aesthetically stunning! Vegetarians are best to avoid it for food though.

Edited by Paul_K

Average chicken fingers. Poutine that was actually COLD--that's shameful. Good but not great pour on the liquor. Very good service. And the best hot barbecue sauce I've ever had, for those chicken fingers. Lots of kick. That TV is frightening to be close to.

We made it out there a couple weekends ago, got there right at opening so we got in right way, but when we left a bit more than an hour later, there was a line out the door.

I was impressed with what the place looked like, but the food was so-so at best. A couple of our dishes were "OK" but not great. Someone in our party ordered a veggie burger and it was cold. Not 'luke warm', but actually cold...room temperature or less. Compared to Pearl Street, I actually think the food at Pearl street is better than what we were served at 716. The other issue I noticed is that the place wasn't exactly spotless. Not disgusting dirty, but being one of the first people in the place, It looked like they could have wiped down the windows and run a vacuum over parts of the floor a bit better.

We might go back, but it won't be for a while...to see if they get things 'together' and running a bit better. I want the place to do well and for people to enjoy going there, just there is a lot of room for improvement.

Someone in our party ordered a veggie burger and it was cold. Not 'luke warm', but actually cold...room temperature or less.

If there is a vegetarian (vegan or gluten free person) I highly recommend Merge (http://mergebuffalo.com/). They do have meat dishes as well. Having been there numerous times and had a different drink and dinner each time I can't speak highly enough about the place. The food is great to excellent. Price is a bit more expensive (website has menu w/ prices). It's not a bar though. It's a pleasant restaurant, comfortable and casual. I go there in my Sabres' gear then walk to the stadium to work off the delicious food.

Wait has gotten better. I walked in on a game night about 6:45 and got a table for 3 right away. Granted, it was a Tuesday. The food is good, but then I like Pearl and apparently people think that's disgusting; the two are very comparable to me. I'd agree that its not worth a 2-3 hour wait, but I'd wait a half hour or so without complaining.

Was that a home or away game? Either way I still think it comes down to whether or not it's a viable place before any home games.

Was that a home or away game? Either way I still think it comes down to whether or not it's a viable place before any home games.

Home. Got pretty busy as we were leaving after the game. Even about a half hour after I got there there was a wait, but I never saw anyone waiting outside.

It's very viable prior to game nights if you don't need to have a table. If you show up at 6pm on a game night expecting a table then you're only fooling yourselve. It was always impossible at Pearl or Cobblstone to get a table at that time too. But, even if theres a wait, its usually very small to go in to the bar area. Once in the bar, its very easy access to get beers because they don't over pack the place and theres several bars. Ive gone there almost each game i've been too and always go to the bar. Longest ive waited was like 15 minutes. But once you're in, theres no wait.

We went to the Philly game on 1/17, got in and parked early (around 3 pm). Walked up to Canal side to watch everyone skate. The place was packed, it was 38 deg and partly sunny, the perfect winter day to be downtown. Walked over to 716 around 4-4:30, got in line to just get into the bar, we where told a five hour wait for a table. After a 10 minute wait standing outside we went in and had to go to a specific bar because of capacity codes. We got a drink and quickly figured out there was no way we were ever going to get food before the game started. So we left. The moral of the story, when 18,000 people have the same idea, there will be long lines.

We went to the Philly game on 1/17, got in and parked early (around 3 pm). Walked up to Canal side to watch everyone skate. The place was packed, it was 38 deg and partly sunny, the perfect winter day to be downtown. Walked over to 716 around 4-4:30, got in line to just get into the bar, we where told a five hour wait for a table. After a 10 minute wait standing outside we went in and had to go to a specific bar because of capacity codes. We got a drink and quickly figured out there was no way we were ever going to get food before the game started. So we left. The moral of the story, when 18,000 people have the same idea, there will be long lines.

Especially when we're talking about a nice winter Saturday after a cold snap. :)

• 2 weeks later...

It was just announced that Pizza Plant is opening inside the Marriott Courtyard hotel. Pegulaville/Canalside is still a work in progress. Isn't there a Hoffbrau Haus in the works too?

Was just at the original haufbrau haus in Munich yesterday. This will be fantastic for canalside even if its only half the experience that the original is. Pork knuckle, sauerbraten, sausage, dunkel, helles ......so awesome.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.