The Science Thread

I am Defecting

It's amazing. We're on the threshold of nuclear fusion. Atom thick membranes are being developed to isolate salt from seawater. The power of the Sun, Wind, and Water are being harnessed on a mass scale. What are the dangers? What is the potential... of Science?

Kelly LeBrock. ;)

Thank's for starting this Yuri, I meant to a few days back but I got caught up in doing stuff. Anyways, let's get this thing kicked off:

This is easily my favorite Tyson clip I've found so far; I've posted it before in the Awesome thread, but I figured I do it again here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTZyVZBtP70

For those that have already seen this, or are looking for something else, I found this the other day and I thought it was pretty cool.

9781848311299-300x380.jpg

It's a series of brief summaries of theories ranging from psychology to the universe; It has pics, bios, easy explanations.... if you tape it to a 12 pack it's the perfect Christmas gift IMO.

Anyways, a few of the theories in there that grabbed me were the Dark Matter/Energy theory and the Anthropic Principle. The latter of which basically states that the insane amount of balances/circumstances necessary for intelligent life to first exist and then develop into such is astounding, leading for some to conclude that the universe is perhaps made solely for us, while others argue that it could point to the existence of multiple universes.

I have a lot more thoughts on this, but long posts suck, so I'll keep it a short intro at first.

Edited by WildCard

Thank's for starting this Yuri, I meant to a few days back but I got caught up in doing stuff. Anyways, let's get this thing kicked off:

This is easily my favorite Tyson clip I've found so far; I've posted it before in the Awesome thread, but I figured I do it again here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTZyVZBtP70

Just looking at Tyson's jacket in that and the Related videos, that seems to be his favorite jacket.

Just looking at Tyson's jacket in that and the Related videos, that seems to be his favorite jacket.

Definitely doesn't have the style Bill Nye does :lol:

More science for you, this time in the shape of news.

Ebola vaccines are coming along nicely

http://www.businessi...t-stage-2014-11

Developing a method for the immune system to target cancer cells

https://www.sciencen...m-cancer?tgt=nr

The LHC continues to have immense success, having results leading to the discovery of two new subatomic particles

http://www.huffingto..._n_6184878.html

And if you want to read the professional write up (lots of math and physics I don't understand here besides pie and gamma)

http://arxiv.org/abs/1411.4849 (short version)

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1411.4849v1.pdf (full write up) Thing has some 700 hundred authors but is only 10 pages :blink:

And we found out we can ship out and back in our DNA to and from space with reentry into an atmosphere without any damage to the strains; potentially big leaps for humans to colonize other planets.

http://www.scienceda...41126144150.htm

Edited by WildCard

So I took a Classical Mechanics course this semester without having taken Differential Equations yet and it has made me a sad boy :(

I like this thread. Hopefully we can all learn a lot from each other!

You can start by telling me what differential equations is :lol:

I only have to take Physics 1 & 2, both calc based. I love the insane discoveries and theories that come with physics, but I could never get interested enough in it to take it up as a major. The lectures are just too boring IMPO. I'm almost done with a math minor for programming, but I don't think I ever have to take differential equations.

Edited by WildCard

You can start by telling me what differential equations is :lol:

I only have to take Physics 1 & 2, both calc based. I love the insane discoveries and theories that come with physics, but I could never get interested enough in it to take it up as a major. The lectures are just too boring IMPO. I'm almost done with a math minor for programming, but I don't think I ever have to take differential equations.

Be grateful you don't. Power Series will make your head explode. In all seriousness, Diff Eq is pretty easy if you have to take it. If you took Physics at UB, it is a complete waste of time. Nothing but deriving equations, and absurd problems (i.e. the magical "frictionless surface"). Hopefully they breathed life into that curriculum since I went there, because teaching just theory without practical context is a sure fire way to turn off people's brains.

Be grateful you don't. Power Series will make your head explode. In all seriousness, Diff Eq is pretty easy if you have to take it. If you took Physics at UB, it is a complete waste of time. Nothing but deriving equations, and absurd problems (i.e. the magical "frictionless surface"). Hopefully they breathed life into that curriculum since I went there, because teaching just theory without practical context is a sure fire way to turn off people's brains.

I'll let you know, I'm taking Diff Eq next semester.

Anyways, a few of the theories in there that grabbed me were the Dark Matter/Energy theory and the Anthropic Principle. The latter of which basically states that the insane amount of balances/circumstances necessary for intelligent life to first exist and then develop into such is astounding, leading for some to conclude that the universe is perhaps made solely for us, while others argue that it could point to the existence of multiple universes.

I'll have to agree an insane amount of circumstances need to occur for life to happen. That said, our universe, and others, are so insanely, mind boggling large that I definitely believe there is intelligent life out there. Anything can happen, but I wouldn't wager we'll ever come in contact with them.

I'll have to agree an insane amount of circumstances need to occur for life to happen. That said, our universe, and others, are so insanely, mind boggling large that I definitely believe there is intelligent life out there. Anything can happen, but I wouldn't wager we'll ever come in contact with them.

I like to think of the universe as a Bob Ross painting. One little happy accident and boom! Life.

The biggest, most significant advances in human kind and science over the next 20 years will all be in Biology. IMHO.

No way. Forget about wearables. It will be all about implantables. I can't wait for my Facebook status to update automatically just by what I am thinking.

We are the Borg.

I continue to wonder at what point I'm going to want to become a hermit.

Imagine it, every thought an instant tweet, and being able to read everyone's tweets, which will be their every thought (complete with grammar and spell check) instantaneously,… It will be glorious.

And the implantable will know that I actually meant simultaneously and auto-correct it for me without me even knowing.

Science thread! Woo!

Let's get it started with how everything got started:

big-bang-theory.jpg

Bits I always thought were interesting:

Light as we know it didn't appear until about 300,000 years after the big bang, when electrons and protons finally cool down enough to combine into atoms. The first planets didn't really form until 1-15 billion years after the big bang, once the first stars started to die.

The danger is there will be a backlash from the "Jesus rode a dinosaur" people who would take us back to the Dark Ages.

Yep. There's no need to spend money on science, research, or cleaning up the environment when you believe that Jesus is not only going to put an end to the world but also going to do it during their lifetime since they are such special little snowflakes and God just can't wait to meet them personally.

I saw a website a few years ago that was offering to adopt the pets of all the zealots who will be taken to heaven during the rapture for a small fee. After all, they will be chosen to live in paradise but somebody will need to look after their lovable but soul-less furry friends. Easy way to make money by selling an invisible product to people based off hope and the fear of the unknown. If it had gained more traction and popularity I'm sure churches everywhere would be suing the guy for infringing on their turf, ha ha!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.