Random Hockey Trivia

shrader

It's a tough one. I'd almost accept a word picture of a few — that guy from **** who did that one game and sounded like ****. I had to Google one of the names.

I have now looked it up so I will refrain from further participation. It's a tough one, to be sure.

I missed one of Shader's, so my numbers above are two off.

We have 15 with names on cup of 20

1 of 2 that played on team that won cup, but left off

I didn't look at staff

Lacombe, Normand – Edmonton 1988 {1}

Barrasso, Tom – Pittsburgh 1991–92 {2}

Andreychuk, Dave – Tampa Bay 2004 {1}

Mogilny, Alexander – New Jersey 2000 {1}

Paille, Daniel – Boston 2011 {1}

Sarich, Cory – Tampa Bay 2004 {1}

Boucher, Phiippe – Pittsburgh 2009 {1}

May, Brad – Anaheim 2007 {1}

Plante, Derek – Dallas 1999 {1} – 1999 – played 17 games for Chicago, and 16 games for Dallas, did not qualify, engraved on cup.

Haller, Kevin – Montreal 1993 {1}

Campbell, Brian – Chicago 2010 {1}

O'Donnell, Sean – Anaheim 2007 {1}

Krupp, Uwe – Colorado 1996; Detroit 2002 {2} 2002 missed over 60 games injured, played 8 regular season & 2 playoff games. Name was left off cup.

Hogue, Benoit – Dallas 1999 {1}

Priestlay, Ken – Pittsburgh 1992 {1} – 1992 – played 49 regular season games; played in the minors early during the playoffs, but was recalled later; name still included on cup.

Wiemer, Jim – Edmonton 1988 {1} – 1988 – played 12 regular season, and 2 games in the Conference Finals. Left off for spending most of season in the minors.

Brayden McNabb played in the AHL last year.

John Cullen didn't win a cup

In conclusion, for the 3rd or 4th recount

19 names on the cup

3 played for the winning team, didn't get name on cup

Plante, Derek – Dallas 1999 {1} – 1999 – played 17 games for Chicago, and 16 games for Dallas, did not qualify, engraved on cup.

Krupp, Uwe – Colorado 1996; Detroit 2002 {2} 2002 missed over 60 games injured, played 8 regular season & 2 playoff games. Name was left off cup.

Priestlay, Ken – Pittsburgh 1992 {1} – 1992 – played 49 regular season games; played in the minors early during the playoffs, but was recalled later; name still included on cup.

Wiemer, Jim – Edmonton 1988 {1} – 1988 – played 12 regular season, and 2 games in the Conference Finals. Left off for spending most of season in the minors.

Dykstra Steve – Edmonton 1988 {1} – 1988 – played 42 regular season games, but name left off the Stanley Cup because he split his time with Buffalo and Edmonton. - undrafted, first signed with Buffalo

Hartman, Mike – NY Rangers 1994 {1} – 1994 – only played 35 regular season games injured, so name was added cup.

Shane Hnidy - Hnidy Shane – Boston 2011 {1} – Left off only playing 3 regular season, & 3 playoff games.

Smehlik, Richard – New Jersey 2003 {1}

Sutton, Ken – New Jersey 2000 {1} – 2000 – played only 6 regular season games, spent most of season in minors did not qualify, still included.

Zigomanis, Mike – Pittsburgh 2009 {1} – 2009 – Only played 22 regular season games injured, included on the cup at request of Pittsburgh.

Edited by rakish

I missed one that Taro named, so add one to all the totals

Danny Gare did not win a cup

Not to quibble, but ...

The original question stated that 2 former Sabres played for the SC winner the season that team won the SC but weren't included on the SC. Gare played for the Eulers in '87 but retired mid-season. So, he did play for them a season they won.

BTW, EXCELLENT question. :beer:

Edited by Taro T

Not to quibble, but ...

The original question stated that 2 former Sabres played for the SC winner the season that team won the SC but weren't included on the SC. Gare played for the Eulers in '87 but retired mid-season. So, he did play for them a season they won.

I would agree, excellent question. I may use it myself once I can confirm the exact numbers.

Not to quibble, but ...

I think it's a fair complaint, I was working off the wikipedia article and they list the borderline players, then state whether they were on the cup or not, that's what I was trying to get at with the 'season' language. I didn't forsee someone like Gare, since the page doesn't list players leaving midseason.

I tried to look at everyone that won their first cup after 1970, but between wine and fatigue, I missed at least two.

I am very impressed at how sabrespace did, I expected maybe 10 total. thanks for playing.

I missed one of Shader's, so my numbers above are two off.

We have 15 with names on cup of 20

1 of 2 that played on team that won cup, but left off

I didn't look at staff

Brayden McNabb played in the AHL last year.

John Cullen didn't win a cup

Cullen didn't win a Cup, but he didn't get his name on it despite how many games he played for the Pens?

• 1 year later...

Yeesh, it's been longer than I thought on this thread.  And I could swear we had a larger one somewhere.

Trivia Question: Aside from Buffalo, what other U.S. City is home to exactly 1 NHL team, 1 NFL team, and neither an NBA nor an MLB team?

You may not need to dig toooo deep to find the answer, but it is still interesting that only one other sports town like ours exists!

Edit: Hint , if you want it:

The Bills played an away game in this city this past fall...

Edited by Cereal

I had to run through the NFL divisions in my mind, but that definitely wasn't the city that would have come to mind right away.

I had to do it the other way, since I don't know if I could exhaustively list all the teams in the NFL. I think I have it, and checking the hint would fit my guess.

I had to do it the other way, since I don't know if I could exhaustively list all the teams in the NFL. I think I have it, and checking the hint would fit my guess.

The NFL division structure is much easier for me to go through in my mind.  I still can't get over this 7 vs. 8 thing in the NHL.

• 1 year later...

Yeesh, it's been longer than I thought on this thread.  And I could swear we had a larger one somewhere.

Trivia Question: Aside from Buffalo, what other U.S. City is home to exactly 1 NHL team, 1 NFL team, and neither an NBA nor an MLB team?

You may not need to dig toooo deep to find the answer, but it is still interesting that only one other sports town like ours exists!

Edit: Hint , if you want it:

The Bills played an away game in this city this past fall...

So, "Vegas" will become the third U.S. City with exactly 1 NHL team, 1 NFL team, 0 MLB teams, and 0 NBA teams, along with Buffalo and the city alluded to in the above post.

I guess the short list of sports towns that are just like Buffalo is now even stranger, huh?

By the way, I wonder if kids these days consider a "Big Four" in American pro sports leagues?  It was definitively those four when I grew up in the nineties.  Was it something else before that (like in the 60s, 70s, 80s)?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.