GDT: 11/5/2014 Canadiens @ Sabres 7:30pm (MSG,WGR)

LGR4GM

What'd ol Mike have to say ?

Something like, "This is as good as a game as you want to see from the Sabres, I mean, as a Sabres fan. They need a franchise player and you want to see them get one after this season." Liam half heartedly said something about not wanting to throw away the season at this point but,…

Pretty funny, and awful.

Edited by SwampD

Something like, "This is as good as a game as you want to see from the Sabres, I mean, as a Sabres fan. They need a franchise player and you want to see them get one after this season." Liam half heartedly said something about not wanting to throw away the season at this point but,…

Pretty funny, and awful.

Gotcha. Thanks

Milbury's on board with the tank!!!!

If that isn't proof positive that a tank is a BS move I don't know what is.

weave 2014: Anticipating everything I would say.

Well, good news, guys: The chances of us drafting a generational talent are still pretty low. And we'll be back to being a mediocre team struggling to make one-round appearances in the playoffs in no time.

Well, good news, guys: The chances of us drafting a generational talent are still pretty low. And we'll be back to being a mediocre team struggling to make one-round appearances in the playoffs in no time.

#tankforever

weave 2014: Anticipating everything I would say.

I knew you would say that.

Just got home haven't read anything on the board but just want to say, I appreciate the effort they gave tonight. Got some value for the money for a change. I also appreciate that it was Montreal in the building. Lots of energy for both sides, players and fans. Their talent level was very noticeable. I think Cody Mac probably lead the team in ice time which was depressing but he was game. Gionta showed up. Expectedly. Georges was good but I have to say I was truly impressed with Neuivirth. He made some Miller saves. For me personally he emerged as the # 1 because of his technique. He was and made some positionally (sp) sound saves that we grew accustomed to Miller making. Yes I said that! He was every bit the goalie tonight that we expected out of Miller.

I feel bad for Enroth but I gotta say that Neuiverth or however you spell his name has EARNED the next start and Enroth can be pissed about it but he will start Saturday. UNLESS of course the guy whose name I don't think I am spelling right who has again earned the next start, wins and then what? I give it to him again because it is suddenly his team and all the ###### Nolan has said that someone will; emerge as the starter will have actually come to pass. Enroth will be very pissed again. And again, I will feel bad for him. But I don't see him here long term and I don't think as per GMTM standards he fits the mold anyway.

But there's the rub. Michael Neuvirth doesn't either. He's not big. He sure as hell played big tonight in front of my eyes though!

Sorry tankers, we gained a point. Much more importantly though, I was entertained and felt my money was well spent. Kudo's to the team and staff.

And maybe cause it was a weeknight game I had only one minor incident with Les Habitent fans and proudly say, I NEVER HEARD O'LAY ONCE THE ENTIRE NIGHT!

Last shout out to the doubters, Nikita Zadorov says suck it.

You don't think the Sabres have a decent shot at dfl?

That is two people tonight that apologized for the game tonight. Never. Apologize. for rooting on your team. Never.

Well the latter wasn't really an apology, more like a 'suck it' gesture.

1. Stafford can actually play good hockey. When he wants to. Which isn't often enough.

2. There was a series near the end of the third, where Montreal was offsides twice in about 30 seconds. How did 4 refs miss both?

3. Wasn't this a home game? Why did the cheers sound so damn loud when Montreal won?

You don't think the Sabres have a decent shot at dfl?

Well the latter wasn't really an apology, more like a 'suck it' gesture.

Thank you ink. I'm sorry for the long winded non space bar explanation I gave, although I did say I JUST got back from the game so I expect some leeway as a result but I want to thank you for noticing that there was no apology given for rooting for my team.

Not sure if there is some misinterpretation between what I am writing and what is being understood. So to be clear, screw Montreal. Thank you good night.

This was a really good effort by the Sabres. Again, laying down that foundation of playing good defense. They were able to keep the shots and chances down.

They have gotten points in 3 of their last 4 games.

Hodgson skated harder last night than any other previous game as a Sabre.

Late in the game with the Sabres buzzing and Ennis tries a nifty tip pass and turns the puck over. I hope the coaches drill him in practice today. This team doesn't have the margin of error where a careless play like that can be considered acceptable.

This was a really good effort by the Sabres. Again, laying down that foundation of playing good defense. They were able to keep the shots and chances down.

They have gotten points in 3 of their last 4 games.

Hodgson skated harder last night than any other previous game as a Sabre.

Late in the game with the Sabres buzzing and Ennis tries a nifty tip pass and turns the puck over. I hope the coaches drill him in practice today. This team doesn't have the margin of error where a careless play like that can be considered acceptable.

I'm happy with the effort too. I think Josh Gorges is the Sabre i'd want in my foxhole.

That was probably the most complete game I have seen all season. Some thoughts on it.

Zemgus Girgensons is going to be a good player. I am not sure how many points he will score but with real line mates he definitely has the potential to be better than we have seen so far. I forget this is technically his sophomore season and that he has only played 84 games in the NHL. Should be interesting to watch this guy develop. I really want to see Nick Baptiste on his wing in the future.

Tyler Myers... is playing much better than last year. I am fully convinced now he just doesn't have high end hockey IQ and that is why when asked to play under Rolston's thinking system he failed miserably. He was easily our go to defender (I don't care if meszaros had more ice time) and he pairs really well with Gorges because when Gorges sees Myers make his mental error, he cleans it up.

Gorges is a competitor. I love this guy. He was giving it to his old teammates last night and enjoying doing it. I wish we had more guys with enough talent to play but with that hatred of losing.

Andrej Meszaros is tank commander 2.0 the guy is horrific sometimes and Ristolainen plays a calmer/better game then him.

Zadorov... wonder how long he will hold a grudge against the guy who boarded him? My guess is forever. He had some good plays last night and a couple of times he was caught out of position. Like Risto he is very young so not really worried. No reason to put Benoit back in the lineup, Zadorov and Risto play better.

nice post.

Thanks.

I actually forget one player, Johan Larsson. I know a lot of people don't really see Larsson on the team long term or even at all (at least that is my impression) but I just want to say he could be a really solid 3rd line center. He skates well, has some offense, and importantly he battles. There were a few times last night I mistaked him for Zemgus for but a second because of some of his puck pursuits. I am not sure who is out (Foligno?) but Larsson played a very solid and respectable game. I don't see him have more than 10-15g and 25a in a season but I also don't ever see him being a minus -30. I hope they keep Foligno out (sounds like Flynn may be injured) and keep Larsson up.

I'm done with the tank in 68 games. I'm exhausted from rooting against my own team and I'm still not confident it's going to work anyway. A flat tire like Drew Stafford will move us up in the standings just enough to ruin it. Or Flynn. Or whoever.

Do I have to find the post where you promised you wouldn't be like this if we finished last a year ago? Or will you just remember and honor it on your own?

Do I have to find the post where you promised you wouldn't be like this if we finished last a year ago? Or will you just remember and honor it on your own?

I remember saying I'd believe it would happen when it happened. Not sure I promised anything about future seasons.

Last year was due to years of seeing the team "un-tank" in the 2nd half of the season so that we could draft Grigorenko instead of MacKinnon or Armia instead of Landeskog. The Sabres were consistently lousy but had just enough talent to collect points. The environment last year was finally so toxic that the latter gave out.

This year is different. The coach isn't a lame duck and the veteran leaders (Gionta, Gorges, Moulson) aren't just a bunch of guys waiting to be traded (Vanek, Miller, Ott); they're here for the long haul. Stewart *is* probably waiting to be traded but he still has enough pride to challenge Lucic to a fight. [Let that part sink in. Gaustad's best friend gets concussed by Lucic and he still needed a couple weeks to muster the courage to fight him. Stewart gave it a shot just to see if it would excite his teammates.] Girgensons and Ristolainen are each a year older; Zemgus looks like he's already the captain and Risto will probably take a step forward soon as well. We're probably going to have Zadorov in the line-up the rest of the year too. For all the crap we give Myers, he's been good and so has Ennis.

Our goaltending hasn't dropped off this year. Neuvirth has been stellar and Enroth has been good too.

The team came out completely flat a few times to start the season but I think 2-2-2 in their last 6 is more indicative of the rest of the season. We look like we're "Bottom 10" but not "Worst Team in the League." [Yes, I know their Corsi is terrible through 14 games, but I don't think that's predictive of the remaining games necessarily.]

The good news is that they're rounding into a team that will be fun to cheer for. The bad news is that ideally they'd wait another 68 games to do that.

I remember saying I'd believe it would happen when it happened. Not sure I promised anything about future seasons.

Last year was due to years of seeing the team "un-tank" in the 2nd half of the season so that we could draft Grigorenko instead of MacKinnon or Armia instead of Landeskog. The Sabres were consistently lousy but had just enough talent to collect points.

Does 2011 really count? That run to the playoffs started in January and I highly doubt that come April one person on this board or in this fan base was saying "...But Landeskog..."

We were ready to go on a playoff run and then use our new owner's deep pockets to make a jump to cup contenders. It didn't work out that way but I don't think that situation is comparable to the lockout season at all.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.