Cody Hodgson

darksabre

As much as I am filled with contempt and loathing for Hodgy at this point, I think there is a pretty good likelihood that (i) the Sabres will have a different coach on opening night and (ii) GMTM will want to give Hodgy another chance under the new coach.

Hodgson is not Murray's trade or extension, I don't see Murray giving a another chance and I haven't seen anything from Hodgson this season that makes me think he deserves another chance.

And, just because they will forever be intertwined, Kassian has 3 goals, 6 points and is a +4 over his last five games. 

Nobody on the broadcast calls him Hodson as far as I've heard.

Listen again.

When's the last time his name was called during a game? 

Now this, this is a point.  His name gets called about as often as Kassian's does.

Edited by Eleven

I don't think Hodgson gets bought out unless Murray plans on keeping Nolan long term. Yes, he's having an astonishingly bad season, but he did have several productive years in a row. Get a coach who understands how to maximize his abilities and I think you see that return. We also need help on the right side with trading Armia. This doesn't mean Hodgson plays out his contract, but I think he'll be put into a situation to recuperate his value so he can get a trade return.

There will be no need for help on RW after they trade for Kessel. Kessel-Grigorenko-Gionta takes care of RW for the next several years.

No room for one of the NHL's premier scorers on this team?

I'd much rather have a Phil Kessel on my team than continuously hoping one of these draft picks can play at a Phil Kessel level.

I don't want any draft picks to ever turn out like Phil Kessel. I know you get enamored with guys that can score but there is more to the game. If a player scores 30 but leads to the other team scoring double that, what have you really gained?

I don't want any draft picks to ever turn out like Phil Kessel. I know you get enamored with guys that can score but there is more to the game. If a player scores 30 but leads to the other team scoring double that, what have you really gained?

You gain a top 10 scorer. No one has claimed Kessel to be a Selke Award candidate. His offensive game is at such a high level it makes any defensive deficiencies well worth it. The Sabres would have to consider themselves fortunate if any one of these young kids drafted or soon to be drafted reach anywhere near Kessel's level. This entire "tank" scenario is based on the that very idea. Draft high in hopes of gaining an elite scorer. 

You gain a top 10 scorer. No one has claimed Kessel to be a Selke Award candidate. His offensive game is at such a high level it makes any defensive deficiencies well worth it. The Sabres would have to consider themselves fortunate if any one of these young kids drafted or soon to be drafted reach anywhere near Kessel's level. This entire "tank" scenario is based on the that very idea. Draft high in hopes of gaining an elite scorer.

I want an elite hockey player

It really depends on the price it would cost to get Kessel, innit?

I can see TM paying a high price in picks and/or prospects for one more guy in the near term, but not more than that. So one of Kessel, Hall/Eberle or O'Reilly. I think Kessel and Hall would both cost more than Kane cost.

It really depends on the price it would cost to get Kessel, innit?

I can see TM paying a high price in picks and/or prospects for one more guy in the near term, but not more than that. So one of Kessel, Hall/Eberle or O'Reilly. I think Kessel and Hall would both cost more than Kane cost.

The question for me is which one of those guys fits on a roster with Kane, Girgensons, Reinhart, McEichel, etc...

Kane-McDavid-Kessel looks pretty nice to me. 

I think my order of preference would be O'Reilly > Kessel > Hall. Assuming we get McEichel, I don't think scoring will be an issue, so I'll take O'Reilly's complete game (which would also help break Reinhart and McEichel into the league). I'd probably prefer Hall to Kessel because of age and contract, but he just cannot stay in the ice, and I'm not sure I want to expect to be missing a star player for 20 games every year.

My thought on Kessel--not sure why there's so much about him in this thread, BTW--is that it's ok for a team to have one guy who's an offensive juggernaut and a defensive liability.  But just one.

d4rk, I think Vanek is better defensively than Kessel is, but that's not the role we're talking about.

I also think that the Tim Horton's at Harborcenter would benefit greatly from Kessel's presence.

My thought on Kessel--not sure why there's so much about him in this thread, BTW--is that it's ok for a team to have one guy who's an offensive juggernaut and a defensive liability.  But just one.

d4rk, I think Vanek is better defensively than Kessel is, but that's not the role we're talking about.

I also think that the Tim Horton's at Harborcenter would benefit greatly from Kessel's presence.

Right, I think Vanek was better in his own end. I'm not expecting Kessel to be. I would have also preferred for Vanek to be more dynamic offensively over being a good two way forward. 

I guess the idea is that we want Kessel because he's Coy but with actual goal scoring ability. 

I want an elite hockey player

Being a top 10 scorer puts Kessel into that conversation. 

Right, I think Vanek was better in his own end. I'm not expecting Kessel to be. I would have also preferred for Vanek to be more dynamic offensively over being a good two way forward. 

I guess the idea is that we want Kessel because he's Coy but with actual goal scoring ability. 

Vanek, IMO, doesn't have Kessel's ability to create offense with speed. I have also thought Vanek to be more of a set play sniper where as Kessel as I see it is a more likely to create off transition. Not to say Vanek doesn't on occasion, just it's more in Kessel's wheel house.  It's like the difference between Vanek being a solid ground game and Kessel being the big play. 

Being a top 10 scorer puts Kessel into that conversation. 

Vanek, IMO, doesn't have Kessel's ability to create offense with speed. I have also thought Vanek to be more of a set play sniper where as Kessel as I see it is a more likely to create off transition. Not to say Vanek doesn't on occasion, just it's more in Kessel's wheel house.  It's like the difference between Vanek being a solid ground game and Kessel being the big play. 

I'm just imagining McDavid setting Kessel up. I like imagining that.  :wub: