GDT - Amerks vs Hamilton (in Buffalo)

inkman

Here's a different way of looking at it. The talent gap between a team like the Ducks/Kings and the Sabres is about the same as between the Sabres and Amerks. The Ducks/Kings dominated us but still only won by a few goals each.

I think the talent gap is larger, and so is the speed a physicality of play. It's the one thing we always hear about prospects and European players coming into the NHL: the speed of play is so much faster Edited by WildCard

I think the talent gap is larger, and so is the speed a physicality of play. It's the one thing we always hear about prospects and European players coming into the NHL: the speed of play is so much faster

Yea but they're talking about playing in the league in general, not playing against the Sabres specifically :nana:

I think the talent gap is larger, and so is the speed a physicality of play. It's the one thing we always hear about prospects and European players coming into the NHL: the speed of play is so much faster

Hands and vision. Everyone can skate in both leagues. That's pretty much the same, but knowing what to do with the puck and being able to make it happen quickly is the difference.

Yea but they're talking about playing in the league in general, not playing against the Sabres specifically :nana:

:lol:

Hands and vision. Everyone can skate in both leagues. That's pretty much the same, but knowing what to do with the puck and being able to make it happen quickly is the difference.

Tell that to Reinhart :P

Just got home. A couple thoughts...

- Armia to Grigs and then Grigs(faceoff win) to Armia. Very nice.

- Makarov was good, but both Hamilton goals beat him blocker side.

- Considering tix were included in all STH packages for free, the crowd was really disappointing. I'm guessing somewhere between 3000-4000.

- Lot of wasted PP chances for Amerks. Could have put the game away.

If Grigorenko and Armia both hit all of the sudden it's not looking that hard to get back to respectable.

Next year being up grigs and Armia for the second line :)

I actually think this *is* the plan. Keeping them in Rochester all year means they play a lot, and they play a lot together. Carrier is the last part of that line too, and it sounds like he's doing well getting them room to work as well.

I actually think this *is* the plan. Keeping them in Rochester all year means they play a lot, and they play a lot together. Carrier is the last part of that line too, and it sounds like he's doing well getting them room to work as well.

Observing this very casually, it feels a bit like Pominville-Roy-Vanek, granted it is very early. Hopefully these guys can step in with a lot of the early success that those guys brought. And before anyone chimes in and talks about the way things ended for those guys, but you have to start somewhere. We would all gladly take the first year or two of their careers for just about any of our prospects.

I really can't see hodgson having much of a future on this team if he keeps up playing like this.

Always thought him and Grigs could mesh well.

Not that it is an excuse but talking about mixed messages.......today you belong at wing, today you belong in the middle, you are a natural wing, no you are our center, actually you are bad....try harder.

Observing this very casually, it feels a bit like Pominville-Roy-Vanek, granted it is very early. Hopefully these guys can step in with a lot of the early success that those guys brought. And before anyone chimes in and talks about the way things ended for those guys, but you have to start somewhere. We would all gladly take the first year or two of their careers for just about any of our prospects.

I think Grigs has the potential to be much better than Roy but I understand what you mean. It is a definitely possibility that these guys could replicate that lines success and hopefully eclipse it.

Just got home. A couple thoughts...

- Armia to Grigs and then Grigs(faceoff win) to Armia. Very nice.

- Makarov was good, but both Hamilton goals beat him blocker side.

- Considering tix were included in all STH packages for free, the crowd was really disappointing. I'm guessing somewhere between 3000-4000.

- Lot of wasted PP chances for Amerks. Could have put the game away.

What did you think of McCabe? I'm really liking his game. The little bit I've seen he's got my attention with his physicality. The rough stuff in the crease last night was borderline not cool (he almost pounded the guys head into ice) but was nice to see an Amerk/Sabre do it with authority.

Armia and Grigs seem to have developed some chemistry as the castoffs. Lets hope it continues

Went last nite. They looked more than just chemistry. There was some very good passing and play setups between not only Grigs and Armia, but the work by Carrier to allow these 2 to free wheel caught my eye in each of the 3 periods. I like this kid Carrier, fast and not one bit afraid to get in to the dirty areas along the boards and behind the net. He was solid as a winger for Grigs and Armia.

I think Grigs has the potential to be much better than Roy but I understand what you mean. It is a definitely possibility that these guys could replicate that lines success and hopefully eclipse it.

I'm not interested in a player-to-player comparison between these groups, but if you really wanted to, you'd have to ignore position and compare Grigorenko to Vanek. Both of those guys were the highest regarded prospect of each line.

Went last nite. They looked more than just chemistry. There was some very good passing and play setups between not only Grigs and Armia, but the work by Carrier to allow these 2 to free wheel caught my eye in each of the 3 periods. I like this kid Carrier, fast and not one bit afraid to get in to the dirty areas along the boards and behind the net. He was solid as a winger for Grigs and Armia.

Please, someone tell me this line can become a thing.

Please, someone tell me this line can become a thing.

I've only physically seen them this past game, but honestly 11, they did look like they were comfortable with each other. The only knock I have that line is that they did squander 3 or 4 decent opportunities by not hanging on to the puck. There was one time in the 2nd period where Armia had it along the boards and it looked like he gave up on the battle to back away, Carrier got there to help him late and the puck was already going back the other way, if Armia continues that battle, maybe Carrier gets that puck and Grigs is by the net almost unhindered waiting for it. I saw similar events in the neutral zone with that line, not really a concern as they are still jelling together, but I'm hoping they get better at supporting one another once in the offensive zone.

"Sometimes there's just that chemistry that hits," said Michael Futa, Kings vice president of hockey operations and director of player personnel. "[Toffoli and Pearson] are kids that were knocked initially for their skating. They've worked on their conditioning, their pace. … and when they threw Carter there in the middle, everything seemed to click all at once. Jeff is an incredibly responsible player who plays the game at an incredible pace. It's not too often you have a line where they're all really dangerous shooters. And the puck really flies off all their sticks. You have to be aware of their pace, of their work ethic on the wall and the fact that they could be shooting from everywhere.

lets hope grigorenko and armia become our pearson and toffoli.

What did you think of McCabe? I'm really liking his game. The little bit I've seen he's got my attention with his physicality. The rough stuff in the crease last night was borderline not cool (he almost pounded the guys head into ice) but was nice to see an Amerk/Sabre do it with authority.

Cant say I noticed him much good or bad.

I'm not interested in a player-to-player comparison between these groups, but if you really wanted to, you'd have to ignore position and compare Grigorenko to Vanek. Both of those guys were the highest regarded prospect of each line.

A thought came to mind....Vanek was 21-22 in his first NHL Season.

Grigorenko is still 20. He's in the right place. No need to rush him into this trainwreck.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.