OT: Is the world series, and baseball, done as a major sport?

mjd1001

For me personally, it's just not a game I'm inclined to enjoy much. Can't watch it on TV because of the pacing/length, and it's still "meh" in person because I don't recognize or fully understand the subtlety of what's going on. And really, this becomes a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The biggest change they could make to get somebody like me more interested are rules to push the pace of play. Less time between pitches, less manager-umpire arguing, no trips to the mound for managers, etc. For hardcore fans I'm sure this is part of the appeal, but for somebody who was always a casual watcher, this stuff killed it for me. Some may prefer to keep it the way it is, but if there's any interest in growing the game, these things have to change.

For me personally, it's just not a game I'm inclined to enjoy much. Can't watch it on TV because of the pacing/length, and it's still "meh" in person because I don't recognize or fully understand the subtlety of what's going on. And really, this becomes a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The biggest change they could make to get somebody like me more interested are rules to push the pace of play. Less time between pitches, less manager-umpire arguing, no trips to the mound for managers, etc. For hardcore fans I'm sure this is part of the appeal, but for somebody who was always a casual watcher, this stuff killed it for me. Some may prefer to keep it the way it is, but if there's any interest in growing the game, these things have to change.

A "pitch clock" is proposed every few years and is rejected every time. I don't know why they don't at least TRY it, in spring training, in A-league, somewhere.

In all fairness, the batters stepping out of the box after every pitch doing their "routine" is also not helping.

You're right, and many of the proposals I've seen eliminate that, too. There's no need for that nonsense. Compare to another stop-action bat-and-ball sport, cricket. If the batsman isn't near the wicket when the bowler delivers the ball, that's his problem. There's none of this stepping out to touch your knee three times nonsense.

You're right, and many of the proposals I've seen eliminate that, too. There's no need for that nonsense. Compare to another stop-action bat-and-ball sport, cricket. If the batsman isn't near the wicket when the bowler delivers the ball, that's his problem. There's none of this stepping out to touch your knee three times nonsense.

You are right about not trying different things in the preseason in an attempt to find out what works. Just stick your head in the sand and let the games get longer and longer.

A "pitch clock" is proposed every few years and is rejected every time. I don't know why they don't at least TRY it, in spring training, in A-league, somewhere.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/mlb/diamondbacks/2014/10/01/arizona-fall-league-speed-games-major-league-baseball/16563839/

I used to be a pretty big baseball fan. But my favorite team is/was a west coast team. Living on the other side of the continent means I don't get to watch my primary reason for being a fan very often. And...... I cut the cable/satellite cord a couple years back. Now I can only legally watch a handful of games each season.

The combination of the two has turned me into only a very casual fan. I don't care that I am missing the WS because of my work schedule. I would have cared in the past.

Edited by weave

This will lower batting averages and take even more hitting out of the game. Batters need their routines. They are fundamental to the hitter. If the batter thinks he's getting a hit because he adjusted his batting gloves in between pitches, or because he spit on his shoe or because he wears ladies underwear, then he is! Every ballplayer knows that the streak must be respected.

Someone post that line from Bull Durham.

This will lower batting averages and take even more hitting out of the game. Batters need their routines. They are fundamental to the hitter. If the batter thinks he's getting a hit because he adjusted his batting gloves in between pitches, or because he spit on his shoe or because he wears ladies underwear, then he is! Every ballplayer knows that the streak must be respected.

They'll adjust. Hell, they had to adjust to get to this point. Games have added 20 minutes in 10 years.

They'll adjust. Hell, they had to adjust to get to this point. Games have added 20 minutes in 10 years.

Yes. So often people worry about small changes like this destroying or changing the game... It won't. These are professionals who are great at adjusting.

Yes. So often people worry about small changes like this destroying or changing the game... It won't. These are professionals who are great at adjusting.

I'm sure someone argued that night games would damage the game too. The players will adjust just fine, and they'll have new routines. :)

Make the fields smaller. Make the games 5 innings. Baseball would be awesome then.

Funny you should say this - next year, watch the Little League World Series. (Not just the final game; they play for over a week before that). Their games are much shorter and the field is smaller (of course).These little guys (and gals, too!) play great baseball at a much faster pace than MLB. I watched some amazing plays in this year's series.

As for the majors, niggling little things keep chipping away at its popularity. Steroid use (no matter how you feel about it, the adverse publicity drags the whole sport down), slow play, huge salaries... Back in the day (say the 1920s up until free agency came in), the average ball player's salary was about 6 times the average working stiff. Joe Lunchbucket could still identify with the players. Today, the disparity in average salaries is through the roof. Also, with no salary cap, a team like the Yankees spends more on players for one season than the federal government earmarks for cancer research drug trials. That is scary....

Edited by Sabre Dance

They will adjust, as stated above. They adjusted when they were told they couldn't chew tobacco anymore, and that's a chemical dependence. They can rub their crotch seven times, spin around, and pat the top of their helmet twice while standing in the batter's box if they really have to.

I just don't think that people who aren't watching or dislike baseball will all of a sudden be like, "Oh wow, they shortened games by 20 minutes. I LOVE baseball now!"

I just don't buy it.

It's the exact reason that many people mention first when talking about why they don't watch anymore.

Oh yea, here's an idea too: get rid of the 7th inning stretch. In the least physically straining sport do you really need extra time with two and a half innings left?

(I get that it's really so ballparks can sell a shitload of beer before closing off the taps)

Oh yea, here's an idea too: get rid of the 7th inning stretch. In the least physically straining sport do you really need extra time with two and a half innings left?

(I get that it's really so ballparks can sell a shitload of beer before closing off the taps)

Why do you hate America? :)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.