GDT:10-18-2014 Boston Bruins at Buffalo Sabres 7PM, MSG, WGR

Brawndo

I agree it would do some of the other players a favor by getting out of Buffalo. I think if anyone gets moved it's going to be players with expiring contracts. Stewart, Stafford, Mezaros, Benoit. Possibly Hodgson.

It's looking like the rebuild is going into 2015-16 season. Even if u get McDavid or Eichel their is no guarantee that Eichel comes out of college early and the rest of the players we draft are gonna need more time to develop. Plus now with the draft being hosted by Buffalo in 2016 I think their is no way Murray moves that first rounder.

This rebuild is going well past 15/16. More like 17/18.

I know it's the nature of internet chat boards to overreact to everything so it's probably unfair for me to bring this up...but I will anyway.

I remember people demanding this team be blown up and rebuilt after suffering the "indignity" of ninth place finishes. People really thought you could crash a team into a pile of pillows. That we'd wind up with a team of spunky lovable scamps who would play hard every night but fall just but we'd love 'em anyway.

Well this genetically modified puppy has morphed into a Frankenstein's monster. A grotesque mess that we are stuck with for years.

Not everyone that wanted to lose the core wanted to lose them for all draft picks and second tier prospects. There is more than one way to rebuild a team. I was never in support of ridding us of every player of consequence and getting future dividends as their only return.

This is a telling time for GMTM. If he is serious about competing for a playoff spot and not tanking, he has to make a trade. Getting shut out twice in your building necessitates this. He's not going to fire TN. So who he trades will be interesting. He needs to hit the "core" (I know, bad phrase) to show he is serious. Someone like Stafford, Ennis or Myers. Anyone else and it's just a token "shake up" trade and shows he's into the tank.

He has said multiple times this isn't a playoff team. He has never said he wants to compete for a playoff spot this season.

Side note: talk of a "core" shouldn't be had for a few years. There is no core.

He has said multiple times this isn't a playoff team. He has never said he wants to compete for a playoff spot this season.

I can't be bothered to go back, but TM most definitely did say before the start of the season that he expects this team to compete for a playoff spot. I don't think he said it in a way that he expected to make the playoffs. But he strongly suggested the team would be better than last season, and used the phrase "compete for a playoff spot" to make the point. Good enough to not be out of it before Thanksgiving certainly.

As good of players as they are I am sick of hearing their name. Not only that but can you imagine the expectation these guys will have if one comes here. Everything for the last two years has revolved around these guys. How will the 29 teams that don't get one of these 2 ever survive?

It's too late these guys are hyped like any other really good players in the draft. Crosby,Tavares, McKinnon and others were hyped for years. Unfortunately last year u didn't really hear so much about one guy standing out besides Ekblad and it's not like he was a force just a solid defenseman. I still think more players especially the ones with expiring contracts are gonna get moved before the deadline for a roster player, prospects or more picks.

So here's the burning question: I just moved out to the San Fran/Bay area and have been thinking about going to the upcoming game at San Jose; given how wretched this team is performing, do I dare spend $5 on an el cheapo ticket if I can find one, or is this just going to be a waste of time & money ?

I can't be bothered to go back, but TM most definitely did say before the start of the season that he expects this team to compete for a playoff spot. I don't think he said it in a way that he expected to make the playoffs. But he strongly suggested the team would be better than last season, and used the phrase "compete for a playoff spot" to make the point. Good enough to not be out of it before Thanksgiving certainly.

Complete smokescreen by Murray that's why he's a genius. I still think this is the main reason why LaFontaine left. I think he wanted to keep some players and the rest of the organization was already sold on the total rebuild.

A Google search shows absolutely no such comments. And there is no way it wouldn't come up if he said it, because that would've been laughed at and talked about over and over. The closest is that he said he would revisit trades near the deadline of the team isn't conpeting for a playoff spot. One article even said that they "wouldn't be shocked if Murray says that he expects his team to compete for a playoff spot in 15-16." That would clearly indicate that either the writer is a bad reporter or that he didn't say that this season.

The only thing a trade would accomplish right now is doing the guy you traded a favor by getting him the hell out of here. I am all for making a few moves but nothing is going to get this team close to "competing for a playoff spot".

Stewart and Stafford might get you a pick and a prospect. Yippee. A package of Myers/Hodgson is the type of deal i want to see.

So you're sick of the tank and were never a supporter of it.............. so you want to get rid of any talent we may have left...............

What was he supposed to say? Sabres fans are going to suffer? Oh wait..................

Amazingly, as bad as the Sabres are, they aren't ranked last in the league. We're still 1 point ahead of Edmonton, and tied with Winnipeg and Carolina in points. Granted, Edmonton has only played 5 games, and Winnipeg and Carolina 4 games vs 6 for Buffalo.

But if Buffalo wants the worst record in the NHL, they're gonna have to go out and earn it. They've got some stiff competition from those 3 teams.

I agree it would do some of the other players a favor by getting out of Buffalo. I think if anyone gets moved it's going to be players with expiring contracts. Stewart, Stafford, Mezaros, Benoit. Possibly Hodgson.

It's looking like the rebuild is going into 2015-16 season. Even if u get McDavid or Eichel their is no guarantee that Eichel comes out of college early and the rest of the players we draft are gonna need more time to develop. Plus now with the draft being hosted by Buffalo in 2016 I think their is no way Murray moves that first rounder.

Who would want Stafford, Stewart et al? Hodson? These guys are not valuable to anyone but us as salary floor insurance.

So you're sick of the tank and were never a supporter of it.............. so you want to get rid of any talent we may have left...............

What was he supposed to say? Sabres fans are going to suffer? Oh wait..................

I don't want prospect/pick type trades. If your entertaining trading Myers add Hodgson to it and make it a big one. The only way we remotely turn this thing around is with some luck and taking a few risks. Hodgson has talent but no heart. He will never be a player to count on.

There is not one player in this system i look at as untouchable. And that includes Girgs. When you are this bad you have to consider everything.

I blame the owner because he never should have signed off on it. He had the final say.

Why do you think The Owner cares what you think? People are still coming, he has his sights on a generational talent, he has cap room to play with and the pipeline looking like it will produce soon. Building a sustainable top tier team is in sight. He doesn't seem to worry about the instant gratification you seek. The blueprint is clear, and seems to be going according to plan. Your choice is to stop watching. Come back when they are good again and if not follow someone else. It is really a simple reality. I have afrustration as well but it is taboo here. I want to see the kids here learning on the job with a competent coach. I am not going to get that either. So were both screwed.

I don't want prospect/pick type trades. If your entertaining trading Myers add Hodgson to it and make it a big one. The only way we remotely turn this thing around is with some luck and taking a few risks. Hodgson has talent but no heart. He will never be a player to count on.

There is not one player in this system i look at as untouchable. And that includes Girgs. When you are this bad you have to consider everything.

TTurn what around? The race to the bottom is on track. I think the fo is quite content.

Not everyone that wanted to lose the core wanted to lose them for all draft picks and second tier prospects. There is more than one way to rebuild a team. I was never in support of ridding us of every player of consequence and getting future dividends as their only return.

I contend there was no other way to rebuild that team. The young talent was struggling, and the better talent was not elite. Deadline deals for picks and the raping of Garth were the only options. Deadline deals are almost by definition players for picks and prospects.

As has been mentioned, the process is in motion. Whether you like it or not. The process included stripping the team of almost all the players Darcy had a piece of, ridding the team of talent in place of high draft picks and being bad enough to be near the top of the draft. This is fact, this is reality. We can't go back and do it your way and trust me, I didn't want the tank either. So I guess I can sa that we can't go back and do it OUR way.

But, there are players that are untouchables and that includes Hodgson and Girgs. Hodgson was arguably the official beginning of the rebuild. Hodgson is playing terrible. Why? It's not because he's terrible it's because most of the team is terrible. There is not enough of a supporting cast to allow the talented players to showcase their talents. Girgs is untouchable. Why? Because if you get rid of him you're starting to defeat the purpose and prolonging this rebuild even further. The entire point of this tank and rebuild is to stock up on high picks and get through the tough times because there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

And don't say the owner is to blame. An entire arena full of fans booing Darcy, media trashing him every chance they got, and a team going downhill.......... even if the owner wasn't listening to the fans, he had no choice. Everybody knew it, most people went along with it. We talked all offseason about how bad this team was going to be. W've talked for two years about how we're going to be the worst team in the league. Now that it's happening, people are upset because they're losing? You cannot (not you personally now) ask for a tank season to get the best player in the draft in ten years and then turn around and bitch about how you're losing.

Why do you think The Owner cares what you think? People are still coming, he has his sights on a generational talent, he has cap room to play with and the pipeline looking like it will produce soon. Building a sustainable top tier team is in sight. He doesn't seem to worry about the instant gratification you seek. The blueprint is clear, and seems to be going according to plan. Your choice is to stop watching. Come back when they are good again and if not follow someone else. It is really a simple reality. I have afrustration as well but it is taboo here. I want to see the kids here learning on the job with a competent coach. I am not going to get that either. So were both screwed.

TTurn what around? The race to the bottom is on track. I think the fo is quite content.

This year is a lost cause. I am talikng the future. I am talking real life NHL players. Not kids with potential who are 2-5 years away. If this plan has the best possible outcome and we are a serious Cup contender in 3 years who do you think in tonights lineup is part of that team.

See - we have a LOOONG ways to go.

Edited by sicknfla

We're very weak down the middle (center and defense). We have a few descent scoring winger, but no one to get them the puck. We badly lack creativity on the offensive end. I don't think this team is well coached, but there is so little talent it really doesn't matter who the coach is.

...I'm not sure there is a trade out there that could make this team appreciably better. But, I do think Murray wants the team to be "his guys" so I don't think he is particularly tied to Myers, Stafford, CoHo, Weber, Jhonas or any other holdover I'm missing. If a trade is made (aside from dumping expiring contracts at the deadline) it'll be to bring in players who fit Timmy's vision of the team. That's why I think the Myers trade talk is out there. It's not that Tyler isn't a good NHL defenseman. It's that his game doesn't fit Timmy's vision and trading him could bring a huge return.

Amazingly, as bad as the Sabres are, they aren't ranked last in the league. We're still 1 point ahead of Edmonton, and tied with Winnipeg and Carolina in points. Granted, Edmonton has only played 5 games, and Winnipeg and Carolina 4 games vs 6 for Buffalo.

But if Buffalo wants the worst record in the NHL, they're gonna have to go out and earn it. They've got some stiff competition from those 3 teams.

True, but i do expect winnipeg to improve a bit, and carolina certainly with skinner and the staals back.

Edmonton however, they go to more sucking via trades for sure.

True, but i do expect winnipeg to improve a bit, and carolina certainly with skinner and the staals back.

Edmonton however, they go to more sucking via trades for sure.

Problem with Edmonton is on the backend. Their isn't much too talk about on their defense and goaltending remains suspect. Plus throw in Nail Yakupov who seems like a bust right now. I see them moving Nail for someone on defense and I think they make a trade real soon. Their a mess just like us but actually have a few talented players. Plus they aren't getting outshot by 2-1 margains either. Carolina will be fine when they get their key players back from injuries. Winnipeg competes hard as do Calgary. I can see us finishing last if they continue to keep this current lineup. They look worse than last years squad.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

I wonder what the shots on goal totals will look like after this one...

83-12

After the 1st period

Unless pucks bouncing off of Enroth that land on the Bruins net count as shots there's no ###### way we get 12 shots in a period tonight.

Sorry I was way off on the Bruins number.

This just occurred to me...TM talks a good game...what if the reality is he's a horrible GM too?

The only thing that concerns me is turning this team around is a huge task for even the best of GM's. Never mind a Cup - if he can manage to get us back to relevancy I will consider him successfull.

After all the talk with the Florida game being bad, I went to last night's game with a tiny glimmer of hope that we'd compete, maybe get physical, not expecting a win per say.... But what was out there was a massacre.

Sure we didn't get out shot as bad, but it seemed like we were on our heels all game again, and outside of delauriers there wasn't much action.

It'll be a long year..... Time to tailgate the only game I'll make it to this year... Cheers!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.