GDT: Sabres at Huricanes 10-14-14 7:30PM NBCSN

spndnchz

I think most people will agree with you actually. Dork's views about hockey being adult entertainment and their etiquette around fans are in the clear minority. However you carried yourself pretty bad, with the you know, wanting to beat him up bit

It's okay to have goofy or minority opinions. Don't want to threaten people for it, that's all

It is D4rk, not dork. Part of what set this whole thing off was use of the name "dork". If you don't want to be bothered with the shift key, pronounce it "dark".

I was wrong for stating i wanted to knock his teeth down his throat. I apologize for that and realize that there is no place for it on here. In case you couldn't tell I can get a little worked up.

I enjoy this forum and it serves many purposes as we go through these tough times together as fans. Again, I apologize.

I practically grew up in The Aud. It was a rowdy place. It was also a place where hollered obsceneties got you warned by the ushers. X Benedict had it dead to rights. There is no need to use obscene language to get your point across unless you are a dullard. Intelligent folks (of which I am convinced all of us in the convo are) have plenty of avenues for adequate delivery of message that don't require obscene language.

This isn't really about kids at all. You are out in public. Give the public the respect it is due. Save the swearing for the dock yards and and home.

Absolutely. If some moron was sitting near me acting like he thinks is ok it would take all i have to not smack him. If it happened to be D4rk oh well. BTW, I have gone to over 100 games with my kids and never experienced anything remotely like D4rk stated as being ok.

This isn't about the 10-15 ###### in the arena that want to be fools. It is about the other 18k that want to enjoy their evening with whoever the hell they want to go with. God forbid - children included.

I'm curious, what exactly did he say? Because I'm the one that brought up 'adult entertainment' and we both agree about children and adult behavior at a sports game. Neither one of us said it's OK to go to a game and repeatedly throw around the obscenities and be a total distraction. What we did say is we shouldn't have to go to an arena and have to hesitate cheering or jeering in order not to offend a soccer mom who brought her two year old. We're not going to go to a game and swear non-stop. But, in the heat of the game we might let one slip. You know it, you've done it, we've all done it. I don't want to go to a game and have a couple with their faces buried in their cell phones or one with the toddler sneering at me just because I stand up to cheer my team (cleanly). I'm not looking for R-rated entertainment. But I sure as hell am getting sick of the G-rated entertainment. If you have a kid and you sneer at me for simply cheering on my team without doing anything over the line, I'll tell you to take it to Chuck E. Cheese if you don't like it.

Now, what is it that he said?

I'm curious, what exactly did he say? Because I'm the one that brought up 'adult entertainment' and we both agree about children and adult behavior at a sports game. Neither one of us said it's OK to go to a game and repeatedly throw around the obscenities and be a total distraction. What we did say is we shouldn't have to go to an arena and have to hesitate cheering or jeering in order not to offend a soccer mom who brought her two year old. We're not going to go to a game and swear non-stop. But, in the heat of the game we might let one slip. You know it, you've done it, we've all done it. I don't want to go to a game and have a couple with their faces buried in their cell phones or one with the toddler sneering at me just because I stand up to cheer my team (cleanly). I'm not looking for R-rated entertainment. But I sure as hell am getting sick of the G-rated entertainment. If you have a kid and you sneer at me for simply cheering on my team without doing anything over the line, I'll tell you to take it to Chuck E. Cheese if you don't like it.

Now, what is it that he said?

either you sat next to prudes or there is more to the story that we aren't getting.

Yeah every time I'm pretty much anywhere in public I want to ax murder everyone. The level of inconsideration is palletable. People running into you with their carts, standing in aisles chatting with Susie taking up the entire thing not even bothering to look if they are impeding anyone, people cutting in front of you without even a gesture. I prefer going to the crappy stores as I know there will be less people.

It's hard not to feel hostile and want to hurt these inconsiderate people. But friendly warning, the crappy stores are probably where the people with Ebola hang out.

Besides everyone focusing on "Me, me, me" and being inconsiderate to anyone else around, there is the observation of a certain journalist that Buffalo football fans are the drunkest fans in the league. Note, there are many mean and loud drunks. I'm sure this isn't just one man's opinion and I'm sure there is a certain amount of these drunks at hockey games making life miserable for anyone else around. Buffalo fans have got to rise above this bad reputation that they reportedly have earned.

http://www.foxsports...-the-nfl-081114

Edited by 716

I don't think anyone here is condoning "being a public embarrassment". But if I want to tell a referee to "go f*ck yourself" at the top of my lungs, I'm going to, because it's sports. And if the parent in front of me doesn't think their kid should hear that kind of language, take em to the BPO.

This one J

It is D4rk, not dork. Part of what set this whole thing off was use of the name "dork". If you don't want to be bothered with the shift key, pronounce it "dark".

No kidding? I always thought it was dork. D - four - R - K. Didn't realize the 4 represented an A, why don't he just use an A?

I don't think anyone here is condoning "being a public embarrassment". But if I want to tell a referee to "go f*ck yourself" at the top of my lungs, I'm going to, because it's sports. And if the parent in front of me doesn't think their kid should hear that kind of language, take em to the BPO.

It's not about that at all. I think there's a line that gets crossed and it's not going to be easily quantified. A guy yelling an expletive like that is hardly a bother in my book. Repeatedly yelling it and or devolving into something a little more personal might be a bit overboard. I've sworn at my kids and in front of them. In general conversation I tell them that people swear but by and large that its a crutch used by people and it makes the person sound less intelligent and demeans their own points they may be making.

Reminds me of a guy that watches the BIlls games at the Buffalo bar I go to here in Texas. Seems like every other word out of his mouth is the F-bomb and he doesn't just shout it, he screams it. Every. Single. Play. One of the most negative sports fans I've ever seen; when the Bills score, the best he says is, "IT'S ABOUT FXXXIN' TIME!" I sat next to him one game and learned my lesson. I went there last week, started to sit and noticed he was there and moved down several seats.

Now don't get me wrong, this is a bar. There's going to be some cussing, especially when you've got people from Buffalo watching a Bills game. I get it. But geez, not everyone wants to hear someone go off with F-bombs after every play. It's just boorish, infantile behavior.

As the owner I would ask the guy to leave.

I don't think it's about the kiddies. It's about the parents and their lack of parenting ability nowadays. The lack of control of parents respect for everyone else in public is what burns me.

I shouldn't have to have little Johnny kicking the back of my seat at Ruby Tuesday's while the parents do nothing other than say little Johnny stop that. Which of course he never does. To those type of parents I just want to say, that kid your insisting everybody notice is no more special than anyone else's. In fact your kid is an ugly baby.

Your kid is an ugly baby.

Parents like that should be punched in the head. That's a completely different issue than this. The foul-mouthed fan swearing up a storm is no more obnoxious that little Jimmy who won't sit the hell down and watch the game. They are nuisances that no one wants to deal with.

These are the same parents who give dirty looks at hockey games like it's not their job to tell their kids "Just because that man said it doesn't mean you can."

I was raised with an understanding that adults talk like adults, that I will witness it, and that I should not emulate it until I too am an adult.

Frankly I don't want to deal with people acting like morons either. If it's ruining my fun the chances are its ruining the fun for my child as well.

I think that's BS. I'll just sit on my hands with Chet and Muffy then and stuff my face with pizza logs. For the children.

Overboard. You went too far and you know it. No one is saying shut up and not cheer.

I have no problem coming up with creative cheers. I spent a large majority of my time in college doing just that. But if I want to let something vulgar fly I should be allowed to do so without getting the stink eye from mom and dad who will undoubtedly curse me out in secret the moment their kid repeats at home what I said at a sporting event. Like it's my fault.

Well, technically speaking, if a child hears you say that and they repeat the behavior it would be your fault as you were the one who committed the action that they repeated. I addressed most of your points in my first response above. It's the obnoxious fan that is the problem. The one that keeps yelling really obnoxious stupid, thoughtless comments that are more vulgar than just "You F'ing suck". Now, add a d word to the end of that and it's a bit overboard in my opinion.

There's a lot of extreme commentary over the past few pages. It's about respecting those around you. If you don't then you do fit into the category. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

There is a level of selfishness and crudeness in today's society. It didn't use to be that way. People really don't care what they act or sound like to others these days. I'll bet whoever would want to swear at the ref at the top of their lungs would pull this type of act in almost any other place. It brings down everybody else who's around.

Don't kid yourself, it's been like as long as there's been society (well at least American society and others too; other than Denmark and Canada). If anything, it's been whitewashed by movies or at best, class divisions in society made behaviour uncouth in some circles and those classes are the ones that mostly were written about.

Think of it this way: at the same time as all the prim and properness of books like Pride and Prejudice, people in port towns would regularly get drunk enough to wake up in the morning on a Navy ship at sea after being "(im)pressed into service". (see press gangs, impressment). I'm sure there were some obscenities shouted too.

No kidding? I always thought it was dork. D - four - R - K. Didn't realize the 4 represented an A, why don't he just use an A?

The 4 looks like a little like an A with one leg cut off. It's a pretty normal "leet" thing on the internets over the last 20+ years.

Yeah every time I'm pretty much anywhere in public I want to ax murder everyone.

I got a solid chuckle out of that.

I was wrong for stating i wanted to knock his teeth down his throat. I apologize for that and realize that there is no place for it on here. In case you couldn't tell I can get a little worked up.

I enjoy this forum and it serves many purposes as we go through these tough times together as fans. Again, I apologize.

Good man. Is it beer o'clock yet?

This isn't really about kids at all. You are out in public. Give the public the respect it is due. Save the swearing for the dock yards and and home.

Spot on.

Why is this even about children? Since when has it been acceptable anywhere to yell out random obscenities?

NSFW (or most places!)

Jeebus, the Sabres lose one game (did I do that right, Taro?) and it's a civil war in here. Imagine if they make a playoff run? It'll be like the slaughterhouse scene from "The Walking Dead." Well, I'll be cow-clocked!

wait. I always thought it was "dark" and then he started saying dork and I thought i'v been wrong this whole time. d4rk is it dark? It's not dork, right?

wait. I always thought it was "dark" and then he started saying dork and I thought i'v been wrong this whole time. d4rk is it dark? It's not dork, right?

It's dark. Anyone who used the internet in the 2000s should know that the number 4 is a substitute for the letter a. Does no one remember 1337?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet

You totally pwned those n00bs

:nana:

To be fair, it's certainly an outdated way of doing things. But back in 2001 or whenever the heck I started using it for AIM it was pretty normal.

Also, 13 year old me thought darksabre as opposed to lightsabre was pretty durn clever. :blush:

I keep using it at this point because it's had staying power amongst my various web uses, and I have this weird theory that username longevity will be something worth talking about in like 20 years.

"Well I started using this username back in 2001. Back when almost any username we wanted was available! Now you kids don't have anything clever left to use!"

This comment is not directed at anyone in particular, it is simply a truth:

Being easily offended is not validation of moral superiority.

Oh go ###### yourself. I know you're talking about me.

He was NOT! You ###### in the asser! His ###### for ###### comments were a vindictive barb at ME personally!

Well, I wasn't talking about me. #deal with it

Edited by Yuri Olesha

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.