GDT - Anaheim @ Buffalo 3pm

inkman

I just shake my head at Sabres fans. All off-season long there is this fascination with sucking to get the #1 pick. All off-season long fans talk about how bad this team is going to be. All off-season long all we heard from "experts" were about how bad this team was going to be. Now the season starts, and lo and behold, they suck. And now, three games into the season, fans are calling up like Chicken Little that the sky is falling and Nolan isn't the coach of the future................. three games into the season............... the last two against arguably the best two teams in the West. Un-freaking-believable. Was the effort there? Not really. But it's the 3rd game of the season. I swear, BFLO fans would bitch about how they got paid if they won the lottery.

I just shake my head at Sabres fans. All off-season long there is this fascination with sucking to get the #1 pick. All off-season long fans talk about how bad this team is going to be. All off-season long all we heard from "experts" were about how bad this team was going to be. Now the season starts, and lo and behold, they suck. And now, three games into the season, fans are calling up like Chicken Little that the sky is falling and Nolan isn't the coach of the future................. three games into the season............... the last two against arguably the best two teams in the West. Un-freaking-believable. Was the effort there? Not really. But it's the 3rd game of the season. I swear, BFLO fans would bitch about how they got paid if they won the lottery.

We know they weren't gonna be good but not this bad. We wanted to see improvement but still lose close games. But how can you say they are better when they are getting badly outshot every game. It's okay to lose as long as you play hard and your competitive but not okay when you are not working and getting outshot big time. This team right now looks worse than last year and I thought they would be somewhat better.

I expect they will win in Carolina and Florida, because those are games we wouldn't mind them losing.

Your probably right but if they lose both then we are in for a very unwatchable season. Last year I thought they were unwatchable for alittle bit and then came Lafontaine and Nolan and they became competitive and watchable at least somewhat entertaining. This year they are unwatchable right now. I mean I can't even remember them getting outshot this bad last year.

We know they weren't gonna be good but not this bad. We wanted to see improvement but still lose close games. But how can you say they are better when they are getting badly outshot every game. It's okay to lose as long as you play hard and your competitive but not okay when you are not working and getting outshot big time. This team right now looks worse than last year and I thought they would be somewhat better.

-It's 3 games into the season

-They played the Hawks and Ducks

-If you (not you personally) want losses, you can't be really picky about how they lose

-Wanting losses but expecting effort and improvement sort of contradict each other. Either that or it leaves a really fine line in terms of possible outcomes.

You can lose fine. But getting outshot this badly is unexceptable. They were outshot 44-12. Last year them being really bad weren't that badly outshot. Yes the Hawks and Ducks are good but are they that dominant where we can't get any shots. This team looks like it took a step back. I actually thought with the players they brought here especially on defense would help keeping the goals average down and help the breakout increasing our scoring chances. Instead the opposite is occuring right now. Don't get me wrong I don't want them to be that much better this year and I thought that with the additions of some players this offseason that they would be a more improved squad. At one point last year I thought they were unwatchable because of how bad they were and this year after just 3 games they look worse. It's not even entertaining.

Now you throw in some Myers trade talk. Does Murray want to get rid of all the players he wasn't involved with contract wise or what?

Edited by SabresBillsFan

I see a team that still is not on the same page with each other. They can talk teamwork and team concept, etc. but it isn't out there. There are guys who are just throwing pucks around without a care in the world. No patience, no ability to wait, just move the puck somewhere (always the wrong spot).

They still don't know how to beat the 2 man forecheck and until they do it will stay bad. For a new coach, I see the same style of hockey being played that happened under Ruff and Rolston. I find it rather amazing that there are so few differences.

Meszaros and Benoit need to have a seat. Even trying to lose is not reason enough to play those two. I'm not sure how to find the stats of how many times they've been on the ice when the opposition scores but it seems to be 75%-80% of the time or better.

The biggest problem I have is that two games in a row the opposition has taken some liberties with some Sabres players (spearing Myers, boarding Reinhart, viscious cross-check to Gorges) and there's no response. If the Sabres are going to take penalties they might as well make them count. Frankly I think Nolan has become too Zen. He needs some of his old school fire back. This team needs to start being a little more chippy on the ice. Perhaps they've given up on the season already? When a player stops taking pride in his play and not playing for his team and teammates then it indicates a problem somewhere. When many players do this, it indicates a very large problem. No matter less talented some of these players are they can still have pride.

That's the biggest issue I see right now. The rest is pretty much what I expected.

This roster can play better than this, and it will play better than this. They are mostly very young, and all essentially new to each other. Not one D-pairing played together last season. Not one line played together except maybe the Stafford-Moulson-Ennis line, and if they did, it wasn't often.

The March/April Roster last season played to it's fullest potential and went 3-16-2 (2 ROW).

If we don't have 4 wins by Nov 21st (our 21st game), I'll burn my Pominville Jersey. The "getting worse" is over for now. Despite the trouble so far, this is a better team than we ended with last year.

-It's 3 games into the season

-They played the Hawks and Ducks

-If you (not you personally) want losses, you can't be really picky about how they lose

-Wanting losses but expecting effort and improvement sort of contradict each other. Either that or it leaves a really fine line in terms of possible outcomes.

It is NOT that they played the Hawks and the Ducks.

And this ISN"T a matter of effort.

This is an incoherent system. The biggest change in hockey in the last 20 to 15 years has been in possession, and in contesting the neutral zone. Things Nolan apparently doesn't not believe in yet. Getting out-shot by 32 is hugely embarrassing. Nolan should be embarrassed. It was his job to have this team ready, if not to win, at least to give them the best chance of winning.

Perhaps Nolan has a solution, but it better be something more than try harder.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.