Current Carrion Hockey League Standings

Taro T

Cheating is a poor choice of words but gets his basic thought down.  It is most certainly against the spirit of the rules, as evidenced by the leagues decision to alter the rules of the lottery to try to discourage further tanking.  (yeah, I know you think it won't be effective, but it is evidence of the league wanting to discourage it)

This isn't directed at you, specifically, weave, or anyone else, for that matter. Just a rant inspired by your post. It's been edited to be as non-offensive as possible.

The league disapproves of it because not every team can tank for several seasons and come out on the other end stronger than before. You know very well the Sabres' fan-base will grow after the tank is done. Chicago tanked. Pittsburgh tanked. Edmonton keeps tanking. Whatever the league decided isn't just about what the Sabres are doing.

The league has to respond to all 30 teams. 27 of those teams are probably complaining, loudly, to the league offices. It's not that it's not fair, because it IS. The rules that are written allow the Sabres to do what they're doing. They allow Arizona to do it. They allow Edmonton to do it.

The Sabres aren't skirting anything - they're using the system to reinforce the team and try to go win a Cup for their fans. There's nothing for the other teams to complain about. Again, at least the Sabres are working WITHIN THE SYSTEM. The problem, this year, is Eichel and McDavid. That's why the other teams are complaining. No matter what system was in place, even a 1-30 odd lottery system where every team had a chance, someone would be complaining, because it's McEichel, and the odds aren't good enough.

Seriously, if tanking truly rubbed the league the wrong way, why don't they come out and bar Darcy Regier from working anywhere within the league? Because he blatantly started it here, and then Arizona mysteriously started to overtly tank once Regier landed there.

Why hasn't the league done something about Edmonton? Why didn't they do something about Pittsburgh? Come on. Are you angry about the tank, or just that the Sabres have sucked the past several seasons now?

Current standings through games played 3/22.

Team         GP  L  W OT PT MPP PR RPTC CPM

Buffalo      72 45 20  7 97 117 20 18   18.6

Arizona      73 44 21  8 96 114 18 19   14.3

Edmonton     72 39 20 13 91 111 20 24   12.1

Toronto      73 40 27  6 86 104 18 29    9.4

Carolina     71 35 26 10 80 102 22 35    8.6

Columbus     72 35 33  4 74  94 20 41    8.0

CPM = per sportsclubstats.com and lottery weighting - last updated 3/22 in AM

DD's keeping the pressure on.

4 teams in action on Monday. All but DD's & BJ's.

This isn't directed at you, specifically, weave, or anyone else, for that matter. Just a rant inspired by your post. It's been edited to be as non-offensive as possible.

The league disapproves of it because not every team can tank for several seasons and come out on the other end stronger than before. You know very well the Sabres' fan-base will grow after the tank is done. Chicago tanked. Pittsburgh tanked. Edmonton keeps tanking. Whatever the league decided isn't just about what the Sabres are doing.

The league has to respond to all 30 teams. 27 of those teams are probably complaining, loudly, to the league offices. It's not that it's not fair, because it IS. The rules that are written allow the Sabres to do what they're doing. They allow Arizona to do it. They allow Edmonton to do it.

The Sabres aren't skirting anything - they're using the system to reinforce the team and try to go win a Cup for their fans. There's nothing for the other teams to complain about. Again, at least the Sabres are working WITHIN THE SYSTEM. The problem, this year, is Eichel and McDavid. That's why the other teams are complaining. No matter what system was in place, even a 1-30 odd lottery system where every team had a chance, someone would be complaining, because it's McEichel, and the odds aren't good enough.

Seriously, if tanking truly rubbed the league the wrong way, why don't they come out and bar Darcy Regier from working anywhere within the league? Because he blatantly started it here, and then Arizona mysteriously started to overtly tank once Regier landed there.

Why hasn't the league done something about Edmonton? Why didn't they do something about Pittsburgh? Come on. Are you angry about the tank, or just that the Sabres have sucked the past several seasons now?

Well said.

I'm interested in hearing how they might feel too, it might be bittersweet at first but I imagine any resentment would be gone when the team became a contender.

Same question can be applied to the tankers: would you still root for Eichel or McDavid if we don't land them? My immediate reaction is weird

-If we get McDavid I will wish Eichel success, but only so much as to not eclipse McDavid's

-If we get Eichel, I passionately want Eichel to win more Cups than McDavid, regardless of his stats (mostly because I think rooting for Eichel to have better stats than McDavid would be a losing battle)

-If we get neither of them, I will wish Eichel success, and probably despise McDavid, because I'm a jealous ex watching his old girlfriend. I will probably only root for Eichel because he's an underdog in McDavid's shadow. 

So, call it what you will, but that's how it all shakes out for me at the moment. 

Separately, this is the first Arizona game I've seen all season, is anyone else watching it?

They had a two on one and the Arizona player inexplicably pulled back and waited for another teammate to come down towards the net before failing a cross-crease pass. Just seemed like he intentionally ###### it up

I started out as an anti-tanker.  But I also realize that I can't directly influence the team; whether they are actually tanking or not is not under my control.  I think it's a little, um..... illegitimate but I also understand that other teams have done it and it is, like it or not, a strategy to improve the team. They weren't going to make the playoffs anyway, so they could try to improve the team using the existing players (knowing that there would be a big turnover anyway), or they could just.... well... tank.

I'm not crazy about purposely losing games by not trying, but I'm not crazy about losing games while trying your best to win either, and that's what it had come to.

So earlier this year I wouldn't say I wanted the team to tank, but when they did lose I would use the tank as a consolation - the worse the do, the better the player they get at the end of the year.  At this point I want to see McEichel in a Sabres uniform come October.  I still figuratively hold my nose at the concept of purposely losing but hell if that's what it takes, that's what it takes.

I have this weird feeling of destiny though; I think whether the Sabres come in 30th, or 29th, or 28th, they're going to end up with McEichel.  And even if they don't, they'll end up with a much stronger team than they've had in a generation.

Of course I've been a pathetic to Buffalo sports since 1962.  I cynically expect the worst, but I have to hope.

I think the Tank embodies that cynicism and hope perfectly.   

Arizona will garner three, or less, outside of our head to head games. Buffalo, six or more. Two regulation losses to the Yotes, for us, or it's hope for the magic ping pong ball. NHL speak, of course.

One down.

yotes lose win every third period in last 20 games .. head to head for hanifin... totally blows and im a positive person.. i stayed and was still rooting getting friends to stsay, after reichs interception to make it 35... but help me be positive here, please.

Edited by K8prisoner

Now that we're in the final stretch, I'm starting to follow the CHL matchups nightly.  I can see how so many of you went batshit insane earlier on in this season.

I'm quoting you again. It's batshit time no?

This is getting tight. Let's say BUF gets a CHL loss tomorrow. That puts it at 1 point heading into the first ARI game. I could see BUF losing the lead here this week, but will come down to the final week, could go either way, but I trust GMTM has something up his sleeve.

10 games left folks. It's been clear for a while now the home stretch will be a tight one. There are players with contracts on the team who know the score. They know why they're there, and they know what the fans want. They know what the plans are after this season. I'm not suggesting they're in on the tank, but I am suggesting they can't avoid its effects.

This isn't directed at you, specifically, weave, or anyone else, for that matter. Just a rant inspired by your post. It's been edited to be as non-offensive as possible.The league disapproves of it because not every team can tank for several seasons and come out on the other end stronger than before. You know very well the Sabres' fan-base will grow after the tank is done. Chicago tanked. Pittsburgh tanked. Edmonton keeps tanking. Whatever the league decided isn't just about what the Sabres are doing.The league has to respond to all 30 teams. 27 of those teams are probably complaining, loudly, to the league offices. It's not that it's not fair, because it IS. The rules that are written allow the Sabres to do what they're doing. They allow Arizona to do it. They allow Edmonton to do it.The Sabres aren't skirting anything - they're using the system to reinforce the team and try to go win a Cup for their fans. There's nothing for the other teams to complain about. Again, at least the Sabres are working WITHIN THE SYSTEM. The problem, this year, is Eichel and McDavid. That's why the other teams are complaining. No matter what system was in place, even a 1-30 odd lottery system where every team had a chance, someone would be complaining, because it's McEichel, and the odds aren't good enough.Seriously, if tanking truly rubbed the league the wrong way, why don't they come out and bar Darcy Regier from working anywhere within the league? Because he blatantly started it here, and then Arizona mysteriously started to overtly tank once Regier landed there.Why hasn't the league done something about Edmonton? Why didn't they do something about Pittsburgh? Come on. Are you angry about the tank, or just that the Sabres have sucked the past several seasons now?

Chicago didn't tank. They were just bad.

When Pittsburgh tanked, the NHL changed the rules. When Ted Black blabbered during that press conference last March, the league changed the rules further.

There is a difference between tanking and sucking.

Tanking is bad.

10 games left folks. It's been clear for a while now the home stretch will be a tight one. There are players with contracts on the team who know the score. They know why they're there, and they know what the fans want. They know what the plans are after this season. I'm not suggesting they're in on the tank, but I am suggesting they can't avoid its effects.

But there are others that are ZFG and are listening intensely to Nolans instructions. Or the goalies sponging up everything Irbe has been offering them. I really don't buy that anyone on the team is in on a tank. If that were true we would have wrapped up 30th a long time ago instead of the stupidity we now find ourselves in.

I'm starting to feel like this. Many of you may not know what this is though sorry.

220px-Duelweaver.jpg

Magic Numbers for games played through 3/22 (20 days left in the regular season)

Carolina - 6
Toronto - 7
Edmonton - 15
Arizona - 18

Nashville, Montreal, NY Islanders, Anaheim, NY Rangers, Tampa Bay, Detroit, St Louis, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Washington, Minnesota, Vancouver, Calgary, Winnipeg, Los Angeles, Boston, San Jose, Dallas, Ottawa, Florida, Colorado, Philadelphia, New Jersey, Columbus - Clinched

Nobody can clinch for the next three days at least.
Current worst case: 7.5% (6th place) in the lottery 

What the hell, the Sabres are BAD. If they weren't just simply bad...we wouldn't be talking about tanking. Why can't we be bad, too?

This.

Tanking would be calling up and starting an ECHL goalue and sitting Ennis and Risto down the stretch.

The Sabres are just bad, they aren't intentionally throwing games by scratching healthy players.

An analogy for the Tank (or whatever you prefer to call the last two seasons).

There was a man who bought a home in a quaint old neighborhood.  He'd admired the house for some time; in fact it was featured in an annual home tour of the area some time ago.  He put in his application to home tour for the coming year.  One rainy day, he noticed his wall was wet.  When the storm was over he called in a roofer.  The roofer said there was a hole in the roof, but he could patch it for a reasonable price.  The next time it rained, the man's home was dry.  But that winter due to the snow and ice his roof started to sag.  He was a little freaked out but a carpenter friend was able to rig a support to hold up the main beam and his roofer friend was able to staunch the leak.  By this time he realized that the last time the home tour chose this house, the previous owners had covered up all the problems and presented the very best face he could that year.  It was on the tour alright, but it sure didn't win the top prize.  

The spring storms came and the many shingles blew off and once again, his roofer friend was able to patch things up but he advised him that he really needed a new roof - new decking, everything.  He realized that before that, he'd have to have the main beam and some of the rafters replaced.  But it was almost time for the home tour committee to come by.  It was another rainy day and obviously it was in no condition to show, but since he'd applied to the neighborhood association they insisted on touring the home.  They got a hearty laugh and left.

An avid preservationist, the current owner decided it was time to do it right.  He hired a contractor to bring rebuild the rotted parts of the house.  This involved removing the whole roof, and replacing a lot of the structure.  He couldn't help it; it had to be done.  The house was a shambles, but soon most of the structure was replaced and the new roof finally installed.  He was so please with the result he applied to the home tour the very next year.  Although the home was in much better shape, there was still a lot of work to be done inside.  He didn't get chosen that year either.

The following year his home was selected for the tour.  He was very pleased but he still didn't win the best home prize. The home was much better but there were still a lot of little things to iron out.  Over the next year or two he took care of all the details and finally not only was his home selected for the tour, it won grand prize.

We're at the end of the second paragraph of the story, folks.

Would you say that by doing the necessary repairs he was "throwing" his chance at the home tour grand prize?  Well in a way he was, but it had to be done.

If you want to call that tanking then yes, the Sabres are guilty of it the last couple seasons.  But it had to be done.

Rebuilding is a multi year proccess of tearing your team down tactfully, getting good return for your expiring assets and drafting wisely.

Tanking is intentionally throwing games over a short period of time in a desperate attempt to improve your draft position.

If anybody is tanking it's the Coyotes.

All of these points have been talked about in the past. 

Chicago didn't tank.  Nor did Edmonton. Or the latest incarnation of Pittsburgh.  They were inept teams for various reasons not related to intentionally losing. Bankruptcy, cheapskate ownership, poor hockey decisions.  In Edm case, they still are inept.

Yes, the league as a whole is what is affected.  I made that argument for why it shouldn't be allowed to happen when "suffering" was announced.  And I stated this past weekend that no fan should have to endure Buffalo or Arizona in their arena.  It is a league issue most definitely.  

Noone is suggesting the Sabres aren't using the system that is in place.  Not sure why this keeps getting brought up.

And to answer your final point,, I hate the tank itself.  I developed a hatred for P-burgh when they tanked for Mario.  Hated Mario, and hated the team for it. Still do.  I hated Quebec for tanking repeatedly, ending with the Lindros fiasco.  Still hated them in Colorado.  Hated Ottawa for many reasons, among them the tank job for Yashin.  Hating tanking teams is not new ground for me.  I am being consistent.  I don't want Buffalo to do it because other teams did it.  Just the opposite.  I don't want my team to be like them.  I hate that I hate what MY team is in the process of.

Edited by weave

I have a very serious question: how are you going to reconcile the players acquired helping the team when they were acquired through a method you so strongly detest, and don't even think they should have gotten? Say we're in the playoffs against Boston and Reinhart scores a clinching goal...any mixed emotions there? 

I had a feeling when emotions are running high you would come in with a very good question.

I have given this serious thought.  

I have less of an issue with Reinhart, as last season was somewhat different in my view then this season's blatant tank job.

That said, I would have a very difficult time cheering a Sabre victory, even a Cup final game 7, if one of the big 2 in this coming draft scored it.

If that makes me not a "real" Sabre fan, so be it.

All of these points have been talked about in the past. 

Chicago didn't tank.  Nor did Edmonton. Or the latest incarnation of Pittsburgh.  They were inept teams for various reasons not related to intentionally losing. Bankruptcy, cheapskate ownership, poor hockey decisions.  In Edm case, they still are inept.

Yes, the league as a whole is what is affected.  I made that argument for why it shouldn't be allowed to happen when "suffering" was announced.  And I stated this past weekend that no fan should have to endure Buffalo or Arizona in their arena.  It is a league issue most definitely.  

Noone is suggesting the Sabres aren't using the system that is in place.  Not sure why this keeps getting brought up.

And to answer your final point,, I hate the tank itself.  I developed a hatred for P-burgh when they tanked for Mario.  Hated Mario, and hated the team for it. Still do.  I hated Quebec for tanking repeatedly, ending with the Lindros fiasco.  Still hated them in Colorado.  Hated Ottawa for many reasons, among them the tank job for Yashin.  Hating tanking teams is not new ground for me.  I am being consistent.  I don't want Buffalo to do it because other teams did it.  Just the opposite.  I don't want my team to be like them.  I hate that I hate what MY team is in the process of.

I'm not sure you are correct about Chicago not tanking.

Chicago absolutely unloaded their roster at the deadline in 2006 (4 trades for picks with no NHL players in return). They then suffered for another season. Toews + Kane later, 2 cups.

We're just tanking harder.

I had a feeling when emotions are running high you would come in with a very good question.

I have given this serious thought.  

I have less of an issue with Reinhart, as last season was somewhat different in my view then this season's blatant tank job.

That said, I would have a very difficult time cheering a Sabre victory, even a Cup final game 7, if one of the big 2 in this coming draft scored it.

If that makes me not a "real" Sabre fan, so be it.

Whoa, whoa.  I'm not saying you are not a real Sabres fan--if you post on this site, you are either a troll (unlikely) or a Sabres fan.  But I do not understand this at all.  If Connor McDavid or Jack Eichel becomes the best player in the NHL while wearing a Sabres jersey, I will not have the slightest issue with it.  I will be ecstatic.  So will 99.9% of Sabres fans.  Having a player like Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux or Sidney Crosby happens very, very rarely--if ever.  I'm not saying McDavid or Eichel is the next Gretzky, but if either becomes that good, I will be in my absolute glory.

Maybe you are in the .1% of fans who will be unhappy if that happens.  But I'm willing to bet good money that you will be cheering wildly if McEichel buries a Stanley Cup wining goal.  I don't know you at all, but you are human, and apparently a Sabres fan.  You will find a way to let yourself enjoy good things, should they come to pass.

And I'll add--whether we get McEichel or not, we already tanked.  Would you feel better if we tanked and ended up with Strome or Marner?  Or are you saying that you can never cheer for the Sabres again?  Because the tank already happened, whether it proves successful (McEichel) or not.

Edited by Sabrestrike

I'm not sure you are correct about Chicago not tanking.

Chicago absolutely unloaded their roster at the deadline in 2006 (4 trades for picks with no NHL players in return). They then suffered for another season. Toews + Kane later, 2 cups.

We're just tanking harder.

Bill Wirtz was still in control of the team until he died in 07 and it was pretty widely known that he was milking the Hawks for every nickle of profit he could.  He didn't want to pay vets.  He wanted cheap players on his roster.  It was not manipulation to lose to get a top pick.