Trade speculation 2014-15

Hoss

Perron epitomized everything wrong with the Oilers. Lazy one-way player, a -17 this season was 3rd worst on the team, and only scored 5 goals. Replacing him with Derek Roy will be an improvement as Roy is a much more responsible 2-way player. Roy doesn't have the offensive flair that Perron had, but that's not what the Oilers need. Good maneuver by the Oil, don't see it as a tank move,

Never saw much of Perron, but if what you're saying is true then I agree with you; this isn't so much a tank move by Edmonton but a smart move for the long term. It's hard to go by +/- when judging someone as bad as Edmonton, taking a look at our's there are several players with horrible +/- that I know are great players only because I watch them every game.

Either way, this is a great trade by GM Mac T. Gets his first in a real deep draft, helps his tank, cures the locker room of some of the old mentality/cancer that might have been there...solid move Edmonton. Now lets hope Murray can counter and make a trade for more than just the tank.

Perron epitomized everything wrong with the Oilers. Lazy one-way player, a -17 this season was 3rd worst on the team, and only scored 5 goals. Replacing him with Derek Roy will be an improvement as Roy is a much more responsible 2-way player. Roy doesn't have the offensive flair that Perron had, but that's not what the Oilers need. Good maneuver by the Oil, don't see it as a tank move,

I think Roy going to Edmonton made Perron expendable. Perron is a very good offensive player. Yeah he might be -17 but Edmonton has tons of players in the minus. Smart move by Pittsburgh you get a damn good offensive player for a high first rounder. Again These are reasons why Edmonton is on this current streak of not making the playoffs. You don't get rid of solid talent for a player who might not play in the NHL and what I mean is that late first rounder.

This is my opinion but you don't trade good players just because they have value you want to build around them. Edmonton won that trade when they traded for Perron but get some players around him. All the talk about them moving Hall and Eberle. You don't move either one of those guys and you build around them. If your moving a player Yak is a player who is young but seems like a bust to me. He should be the player moved for another piece.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

I have no idea where you got this from--Perron is not a lazy one-way player. The entire team is a bunch of minuses because their goaltenders are having trouble stopping beach balls. If the Oilers had a few more Perron-quality players floating around the lineup they probably wouldn't be CHL juggernauts.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

Murray was a little slow on that Edm-Pit trade. Would've like to have seen Stafford/Stewart sent that way for that 2015 1st. Just hope Murray has something better in the works.

We don't have anything that the Penguins would give their 1st for with an expiring contract, and we aren't trading any young guys. All of the guys who will go at the deadline won't help the tank anyway. The sell-off scenario you keep calling for to start a torpedo towards edmonton isn't gonna happen.

We don't have anything that the Penguins would give their 1st for with an expiring contract, and we aren't trading any young guys. All of the guys who will go at the deadline won't help the tank anyway. The sell-off scenario you keep calling for to start a torpedo towards edmonton isn't gonna happen.

Well it did happen, only it was last year with Miller/Vanek/Pommers.

The only thing left is scraps like Stewart, Stafford and maybe one of our goalies. Not exactly top bait material there.

Well it did happen, only it was last year with Miller/Vanek/Pommers.

The only thing left is scraps like Stewart, Stafford and maybe one of our goalies. Not exactly top bait material there.

Yeah I know it happened last year, but he's been calling for one this year, and like you said, what's there to sell off probably won't drop us enough to be a threat to the bottom couple teams that will be there, especially if the young kids get better and better as the season goes on.

Agreed there isn't much left that would be able to be traded. I'd start with the two UFA goalies. Trade Enroth for sure, maybe Neuvirth as well but it also might be good to keep him around because his upside is better. Then move on to Ennis, although might be useful as a 2nd or 3rd liner in the future, trading Ennis neuters the top line and he'll never be worth more than he is now. Next is Myers maybe worth more in a trade than on the roster. If that is what it takes to complete the tank, I don't have a problem trading any of them. The only off-limit players are the youngsters, unless of course someone is willing to extremely overpay.

Edited by respk

Agreed there isn't much left that would be able to be traded. I'd start with the two UFA goalies. Trade Enroth for sure, maybe Neuvirth as well but it also might be good to keep him around because his upside is better. Then move on to Ennis, although might be useful as a 2nd or 3rd liner in the future, trading Ennis neuters the top line and he'll never be worth more than he is now. Next is Myers maybe worth more in a trade than on the roster. If that is what it takes to complete the tank, I don't have a problem trading any of them. The only off-limit players are the youngsters, unless of course someone is willing to extremely overpay.

You do realize that eventually we will have to field a competitve roster right? Both of these players bolded are relatively young and on pretty good contracts. Trading them would push back the rebuild by at least a few seasons. It is nearly impossible to have a playoff worthy team when every player you are rostering is a first or second year player. The "hand the keys to the youngsters" strategy is mostly why Edmonton is so terrible. They have plenty of talented guys in Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yak, Drasatl, but they are still terrible because those players are expected to lead/carry the team as twenty-somethings. This isn't Madden on NHL15 where you can just make any team dynamic work.

As much as I would've liked it too, neither Stafford nor Stewart would fetch a 2015 1st from Pitt

Could they fetch a 1st from someone else? Stafford doesn't seem much different from Perron in terms of numbers. Stewart's game seems like a better fit for a playoff run.

Never saw much of Perron, but if what you're saying is true then I agree with you; this isn't so much a tank move by Edmonton but a smart move for the long term. It's hard to go by +/- when judging someone as bad as Edmonton, taking a look at our's there are several players with horrible +/- that I know are great players only because I watch them every game.

Either way, this is a great trade by GM Mac T. Gets his first in a real deep draft, helps his tank, cures the locker room of some of the old mentality/cancer that might have been there...solid move Edmonton. Now lets hope Murray can counter and make a trade for more than just the tank.

Totally agree with the bold. Smart move for Edmonton, and nice return.

Ennis is easily replaced in FA if needed. He probably isn't a key component if the Sabres are to reach the playoffs and beyond. Myers - Somebody has to overpay greatly to get Myers. He could be the top pairing defenseman here, but if someone is willing to overpay with a top six scoring forward+ pull the trigger. As to leadership, we still have all 3 captains and Girgensons going forward. The more I hear about the prospect pool it becomes clear that the Sabres are missing top 3 forward talent. Right now there is Reinhart, maybe Grigorenko and maybe Armia. Everyone else seems to top out at 2nd or 3rd line. I believe McEichel is key for this reason and am hoping Murray can figure it out. I will agree though it appears that it gets more difficult by the day given Edm is leading the way.

Ennis is easily replaced in FA if needed. He probably isn't a key component if the Sabres are to reach the playoffs and beyond. Myers - Somebody has to overpay greatly to get Myers. He could be the top pairing defenseman here, but if someone is willing to overpay with a top six scoring forward+ pull the trigger. As to leadership, we still have all 3 captains and Girgensons going forward. The more I hear about the prospect pool it becomes clear that the Sabres are missing top 3 forward talent. Right now there is Reinhart, maybe Grigorenko and maybe Armia. Everyone else seems to top out at 2nd or 3rd line. I believe McEichel is key for this reason and am hoping Murray can figure it out. I will agree though it appears that it gets more difficult by the day given Edm is leading the way.

I don't think a team can be bought like that. We tried that when Pegula first started with disasterous results. The teams that make cup runs usually have a group of players that have been playing with each other for multiple years, that is supplemented by a trade deadline rental with enough skill to boost scoring. The Ennis/Girgs/Moulson line chemistry and success is what all the lines need to develop to be a consistent cup contender. Why break up one of the building blocks?

You say somebody has to overpay for Myers to be traded, well by all indications GMTM is asking a high price and no team has made the trade. If you can get a first line player then sure trading Myers is a no-brainer, but your initial post made it sound like the Sabres should trade him away to help with the tank. Doing that just creates another hole to fill and leaves us even younger on the blueline.

Yeah I know it happened last year, but he's been calling for one this year, and like you said, what's there to sell off probably won't drop us enough to be a threat to the bottom couple teams that will be there, especially if the young kids get better and better as the season goes on.

Buffalo is last in the NHL with 1.84 G/GP, 2nd last with 3.34 GA/GP, last place in 5on5 GF/GP, the worst power play converting at a weak 9.4%, 27th in the NHL on the PK at 76.7, last in S/GP at 23.2, last in NHL in SA/GP with 35.4, last in the NHL in the faceoff circle with 44.5%.

Players with expiring contracts with a decent chance to be shipped are Stafford, Stewart, mezaros and either Neuvirth or Enroth. All of whom I would ship in a heartbeat for fair market value. All of whom would impact our ability to win games if they were moved.

We ARE a threat to select first overall in this draft, IMO were the biggest threat to do so. That's with our current roster, once we move some guys, which we will, that pick is ours!

Buffalo is last in the NHL with 1.84 G/GP, 2nd last with 3.34 GA/GP, last place in 5on5 GF/GP, the worst power play converting at a weak 9.4%, 27th in the NHL on the PK at 76.7, last in S/GP at 23.2, last in NHL in SA/GP with 35.4, last in the NHL in the faceoff circle with 44.5%.

Players with expiring contracts with a decent chance to be shipped are Stafford, Stewart, mezaros and either Neuvirth or Enroth. All of whom I would ship in a heartbeat for fair market value. All of whom would impact our ability to win games if they were moved.

We ARE a threat to select first overall in this draft, IMO were the biggest threat to do so. That's with our current roster, once we move some guys, which we will, that pick is ours!

I just want either McDavid or Eichel. I don't want Buffalo with the 4th or 5th pick this year. Hopefully Carolina can start alittle winning streak now that Jordan Staal is back.

don't care what people think about that Pens trade but they won that deal hands down. This is the reason why EDM has been rebuilding forever. They have no clue on what their doing. Perron will be real good on the Pens and that first probably won't amount to much for at least 3-5 years.

Losing the S boys and the goalies will hurt the team big time. That's 2 top six forwards, (on this team), and the only goalies with any proven track record. I'd be surprised if they won more than 5 games after reading them away. Although replacing Miss Zero with Pysyk probably gets a game or three in the win column.

If we take Hanifin then we need to move a defenseman for a scorer because that's what this team lacks. Top flight scoring

I hate to use you as the example but I can't listen to "we need first liners" or "top flight scoring" posts anymore. Yeah, so does every team in the NHL. US probably more so but every team wants to add scorers and not 3rd and 4th liners. Minus the 2007 Sabres.

Losing the S boys and the goalies will hurt the team big time. That's 2 top six forwards, (on this team), and the only goalies with any proven track record. I'd be surprised if they won more than 5 games after reading them away. Although replacing Miss Zero with Pysyk probably gets a game or three in the win column.

I hate to use you as the example but I can't listen to "we need first liners" or "top flight scoring" posts anymore. Yeah, so does every team in the NHL. US probably more so but every team wants to add scorers and not 3rd and 4th liners. Minus the 2007 Sabres.

I couldn't agree more. Although I am surprised this roster won 5 games.

Would Strome or Hanifin help us a lot? Yeah! Do we need Eichel or McDavid? Nope, we will be fine without them. However, after all the times I got ridiculed for cheering for this team, McDavid or Eichel will make me say it was all worth it

Apparently Perron asked out. That changes the dynamic of the trade considerably. In hindsight, MacT did alright.

Feel sorry for guys like Hall and Eberle. I would want out if I'm either one of those guys. That team is a revolving door. Problem is the door is all the good players going and replaced with players not as good. And then they wonder why they haven't made the playoffs since who knows when.

Apparently Perron asked out. That changes the dynamic of the trade considerably. In hindsight, MacT did alright.

You guys do realize Perron is a pretty darn good player on a super ###### team with no direction. Yeah they got a first rounder that will be in the 22-30 range. But it's Edmonton drafting so they don't have a great track record outside their top picks. So u wait 3-5 years for development of that pick if he even pans out.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

Feel sorry for guys like Hall and Eberle. I would want out if I'm either one of those guys. That team is a revolving door. Problem is the door is all the good players going and replaced with players not as good. And then they wonder why they haven't made the playoffs since who knows when.

You guys do realize Perron is a pretty darn good player on a super ###### team with no direction. Yeah they got a first rounder that will be in the 22-30 range. But it's Edmonton drafting so they don't have a great track record outside their top picks. So u wait 3-5 years for development of that pick if he even pans out.

I don't feel sorry for Hall or Eberle. They feel sorry enough for themselves. I think that they play like their pouting, refusing to buy into anything, any coach is selling.

As far as Perron goes, Edmonton ships a good player that in my opinion, never really fit in with Edmonton, for a 1st round pick in a deep draft year(with lots of solid defensive prospects) and a depth forward. Considering the market has been quiet and he apparently asked for a trade, they made out alright in my mind.

I don't think moving Ennis is smart. If we had a real first line and he was on the second line playing against teams 2nd and 3rd liners I think he would be much better. Ennis is a very good player.

Could they fetch a 1st from someone else? Stafford doesn't seem much different from Perron in terms of numbers. Stewart's game seems like a better fit for a playoff run.

I doubt we could for Stafford: he's already shown all of his cards, teams know what he is and what he can bring, at least Perron is slightly younger and not on the decline of his career. I think Stafford hit his best 2-3 years ago, and I'm pretty sure every GM can recognize that.

Stewart could fetch a first, but it depends how desperate someone is for a playoff player like him. My worry is that we'll get into a Islanders-Vanek situation from last years deadline and be unable to unload the players we want because of so many other teams attempting to lose to the bottom and selling.

Meh. I think Edmonton could've gotten much more for Perron. This seems like a weak move just to sell him off. I think other teams would've offered their first as well as a decent prospect. Klinkhammer is basically worthless.

See above. I think Mac T made a preemptive move based on last years buyer's deadline. He got a good return, he helped his tank, and he took out a big buyer from the deadline. Smart move.

I wouldn't mind if we ended up with hanifin or strome.

I don't think we take Hanifin if it's between him, Marner, and Strome when we pick. I'd take Marner just because I feel like we already have a Strome in Reinhart, but Murray likes his players big, and Strome at 6'3 brings that over Marner's 5'11.

I don't think moving Ennis is smart. If we had a real first line and he was on the second line playing against teams 2nd and 3rd liners I think he would be much better. Ennis is a very good player.

Thank you. Selling off assets doesn't mean selling off everything that will fetch you a return. We need some vets to help the youngsters along the next few years, take the pressure off them and show them the ropes, and Ennis and Moulson provide the perfect age and scoring ability to be those guys.

Edited by WildCard

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.