Trade speculation 2014-15

Hoss

I hope we don't trade anyone until the trade deadline, and maybe not even then. I want more time to determine what we already have. I like the makeup of the young contributors and want to see how for they grow before we think about moving them. We have enough assets to make moves on draft day if we need to address some holes.

I hope we don't trade anyone until the trade deadline, and maybe not even then. I want more time to determine what we already have. I like the makeup of the young contributors and want to see how for they grow before we think about moving them. We have enough assets to make moves on draft day if we need to address some holes.

This is the same reason I see no rush in trading Myers. You've got until next year or even the year after to trade him. We've got all the time in the world.

It is unlikely we would see a major move before the week of the deadline. By all accounts trade chatter is not very high right now around the league.

It is unlikely we would see a major move before the week of the deadline. By all accounts trade chatter is not very high right now around the league.

Insider Liger... Guys like Dreger have said there is a high level of talk from some teams. There's a trade freeze in three days. I remember the same thing happening last year, though. A lot of talk leading up to the freeze and then absolutely nothing happened.

Should the Sabres acquire Hall Nolan will certainly help him with attitude issues. Nolan is a motivator who pushes for a strong work ethic, team-work, and results. The Sabres already have leadership to help Hall fit in seemlessly. A concern though would be who should play on the same line as Hall. I am not a fan of breaking up the Moulson-Girgensons-Ennis line. They are a great 2nd caliber line (best line the Sabres have). I think a Foligno-Hall-Gionta(Stafford) is a good line for the season.

Who to trade? Ristolainen-Zadorov should be immovable. They are fantastic on the ice together. I don't think any of the 1st rd picks should move either. The draft is deep enough for all the players the Sabres might get to be NHL caliber players. Some combination (3) of Stewart, Myers, Enroth/Neuvirth and Grigorenko, Pysyk, Ruhwedel, McCabe. Only 2 D-men should be traded at most. This sort of trade would help Edmonton and the Sabres. We wouldn't deplete our team much either.

Sure, but the Kings didn't give up a guy like Risto for Gaborik.

I think everyone here would trade Deslauriers, a 2nd and a 3rd for Hall -- which is pretty much what the Kings gave up for Gaborik.

Well if we want to be totally fair, Hall is worth much more than Gaborik. Gaborik was much older, has a longer injury history, and was a pending UFA. My point wasn't about relative trade value anyway, I was solely arguing that his leadership should be irrelevant, and that it really is okay to have a hired gun or two on the team.

I think he's talented. I just don't care. I'm not giving away any of the bright spots on this team right now in a season where we're supposed to be building the foundation for years to come. If you want to send veteran players to Edmonton by all means, but don't give our high talent blue liners up. They're all we've got.

I don't think Hall is damaged goods or incapable of producing in Buffalo. I just am not sure this would be the correct move for Buffalo at this time given the price that will probably be involved.

Seguin got traded for Loui Eriksson and Reilly Smith with the additions of Matt Fraser and Joe Morrow. So if Buffalo were trading for a similar thing you are probably talking Myers and maybe Hodgson if they believe in him (doubtful) or someone like Zemgus plus Luke Adam and Pysyk or McCabe. That would be in the rough ball park of a deal we see. I think that just might be too much.

That's kinda what I was getting at. He should be considered risky thereby making his trade value less. No way I'm giving up big pieces for him. Is he actually damaged goods? Maybe, maybe not. I know years of futility hasn't helped anybody on that roster.

The fact is, I doubt that Murray is willing to give up big pieces for Hall. And I doubt MacTavish is thinking three above average players and a draft pick equals an elite player so he won't make a deal unless there is a big piece involved. Basically the chances of this deal ever being made is slim to none.

Taylor Hall would be welcome on my hockey team, but not at the price it would take to get him. I would thus oppose any reasonable trade offer from Edmonton or that we are seeing up-thread. Mainly for reasons that D4rk gives. It's also the same reason why I cringe at the "Murray can just make trades to get the tank back on track".

A trade for Hall would involve the guys that we'd need to dump to resume a tank, and in both cases, it kills one of if not the most important part(s) of the rebuild; the fact that we are a young team growing together, forming a core that hopefully does much better than the previous one. Early on this season we heard the guys talking about how the room has never been closer, and it didn't mean much to me then, because we were so bad it kind of overshadowed that point. But now we're seeing that comradery manifest itself on the ice. I'd like to watch that grow as talent is infused over the next year or two. I don't want to blow it up by taking out two of the key pieces for one winger when it has barely begun.

Should the Sabres acquire Hall Nolan will certainly help him with attitude issues. Nolan is a motivator who pushes for a strong work ethic, team-work, and results. The Sabres already have leadership to help Hall fit in seemlessly. A concern though would be who should play on the same line as Hall. I am not a fan of breaking up the Moulson-Girgensons-Ennis line. They are a great 2nd caliber line (best line the Sabres have). I think a Foligno-Hall-Gionta(Stafford) is a good line for the season.

Who to trade? Ristolainen-Zadorov should be immovable. They are fantastic on the ice together. I don't think any of the 1st rd picks should move either. The draft is deep enough for all the players the Sabres might get to be NHL caliber players. Some combination (3) of Stewart, Myers, Enroth/Neuvirth and Grigorenko, Pysyk, Ruhwedel, McCabe. Only 2 D-men should be traded at most. This sort of trade would help Edmonton and the Sabres. We wouldn't deplete our team much either.

Welcome! Good 1st post -- keep 'em coming.

I think it's time for MattPie's Second Trade theorm: the more pieces you need to add to a trade idea to make it look balanced, the less likely it's going to happen. If Edmonton sees Hall (for example) as their 3rd best player (for example), they're not going to take 3-4 of Buffalo's 7-12th best players and some picks in trade. They're going to be looking at Buffalo's top few players and start from there with one or maybe two add-ons. In this case, they'd be looking at Risto, Zadorov, or maybe Grigs.

EDIT: In short, ss the differential of the number of pieces in a trade proposal increases, the probability of that trade happening decreases.

Edited by MattPie

I save the R word for very particular occasions and this Risto for Hall garbage is one of those occasions. We're sitting on what might turn into the best defense we've seen in years for this team and you want to trade away a crucial part of it?

Retarded. You've all gone full retard.

This is over the line, and people here have complained about it in both the past and present. Please refrain.

I have to say I agree with your point but not your choice of words. Risto and Nikita could be their Keith and Seabrook and should be going nowhere

I don't see a better way to express my dislike with proper emphasis. I guess I could post a video of someone chopping their own penis off with scissors but that would probably be too offensive. If I could come through the keyboard and slap people I would but I can't do that either.

I have to say I agree with your point but not your choice of words. Risto and Nikita could be their Keith and Seabrook and should be going nowhere

And Hall could be our Kane. Would you rather have Keith or Kane? I'm sure many will say Keith (I might, too, fwiw) but preferring Kane isn't exactly an indefensible position.

I don't see a better way to express my dislike with proper emphasis. I guess I could post a video of someone chopping their own penis off with scissors but that would probably be too offensive. If I could come through the keyboard and slap people I would but I can't do that either.

Cmon. You can't seriously be this thick headed and really believe that there's no way to express your extreme disagreement without using a derogatory term that's offensive to thousands... Right?

Scissors don't chop!

:lol:

Cmon. You can't seriously be this thick headed and really believe that there's no way to express your extreme disagreement without using a derogatory term that's offensive to thousands... Right?

Sure mom. And don't play outside, you might skin your knee.

:lol:

Sure mom. And don't play outside, you might skin your knee.

Come on, d4rk, they're right on this one.

I'll say it again, since it seems to be getting lost. Look at established market value.

The best comparison to Hall who was recently traded is Kessel.

Both are/were elite scoring wingers who are top 10 scorers in the NHL

Kessel went for two firsts and a second.

We will have to move one of our key chips: Reinhart, Myers, Zads, Girgs, Risto or this year's top pick.

We should not have to move two or three of them.

If we offer all three first rounders this year, they will have to pay attention, assuming they are fully embracing the tank. This is exactly the type of move Murray said he wanted to make,

Also, Hall is a hard worker on the ice, fast and a little on the reckless side.

And I would bet good money that playing with him with Hodgson gives us a legitimate second line,

Edited by dudacek

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.