GDT: Leafs at Sabres 9-26-2014 7PM

spndnchz

Ok so say he's willing to take $25 million over 5 years. Do you sign him then? What type of contract would you offer him that you think he'd actually be willing to sign?

Yes, I would sign him for 5/25. Of course that is assuming he continues his play from the 2nd half of the season last year and he continues his desire to be the/a team leader moving forward. The Sabres won't have any monumental contracts to deal with in the next few years, they can afford it. I think it's important to have a few veterans, keeping a players that's been with the team is a plus.

The good:

Torrey Mitchell and Cody McCormick played exactly how I want my fourth-liners to play. Loved their hustle and their edge.

Jake McCabe looked like an NHL defenceman.

Tyler Myers was very solid. Minimized mistakes, made plays.

Chris Stewart finished and drove the net like a legitimate power forward.

The bad:

Cody Hodgson looked selfish. He has to play a give and go game to be effective and it wasn't there.

I hate the fact Mike Weber has become the latest whipping boy, but tonight he deserved it.

Michal Neuvirth better put that one in a garbage bag and bury it in the backyard.

The worth mentioning:

Marcus Foligno wasn't outstanding, but he did play a hard, basic game. It was a good sign.

The first line played like an OK second line. Gionta was OK.

Risto and Zads were unremarkable but dependable.

Meszaros is faster than I thought he would be and definitely an upgrade on McBain and Tallinder.

Schaller had a good, physical first, but kinda faded as the game went on. Flynn was Flynn, didn't hurt his chances.

Reinhart didn't looked overmatched. He was responsible and he wasn't getting pushed around. But he wasn't creating offence either. He could have been Flynn.

The good:

Torrey Mitchell and Cody McCormick played exactly how I want my fourth-liners to play. Loved their hustle and their edge.

Jake McCabe looked like an NHL defenceman.

Tyler Myers was very solid. Minimized mistakes, made plays.

Chris Stewart finished and drove the net like a legitimate power forward.

The bad:

Cody Hodgson looked selfish. He has to play a give and go game to be effective and it wasn't there.

I hate the fact Mike Weber has become the latest whipping boy, but tonight he deserved it.

Michal Neuvirth better put that one in a garbage bag and bury it in the backyard.

The worth mentioning:

Marcus Foligno wasn't outstanding, but he did play a hard, basic game. It was a good sign.

The first line played like an OK second line. Gionta was OK.

Risto and Zads were unremarkable but dependable.

Meszaros is faster than I thought he would be and definitely an upgrade on McBain and Tallinder.

Schaller had a good, physical first, but kinda faded as the game went on. Flynn was Flynn, didn't hurt his chances.

Reinhart didn't looked overmatched. He was responsible and he wasn't getting pushed around. But he wasn't creating offence either. He could have been Flynn.

I completely agree with the full assessment.

Anyone else a little surprised and underwhelmed by Reinhart? I would still take him 2nd overall if given the choice again but man does he look timid out there. Even during an average or below average draft year I don't want our 2nd overall pick to ever be compared to Flynn (which was accurate IMO). He will be good in time but he has done nothing so far to prove he's worthy of making the team IMO.

I completely agree with the full assessment.

Anyone else a little surprised and underwhelmed by Reinhart? I would still take him 2nd overall if given the choice again but man does he look timid out there. Even during an average or below average draft year I don't want our 2nd overall pick to ever be compared to Flynn (which was accurate IMO). He will be good in time but he has done nothing so far to prove he's worthy of making the team IMO.

Crazy thing is that Bennett is getting a lot of buzz out of Calgary. I'm thinking it's based on his skating ability. I like Reinhart a lot but after watching him play a couple of games he needs more speed. The kid is destined back to junior. The kid would absolutely have to Wow the coaching staff and GM Murray and I highly doubt that's happening. I wouldn't rush him at all. No need to play him on the third line. I'm just wondering if Grigs is more ready than Reinhart right now?

Reinhart's strength is reading the game and slowing it down.

Right now the holes are opening and closing more quickly than he's used to. He has to adjust.

The thing is, it's not going to help him make the adjustment playing against juniors.

He needs to be challenged by NHL speed.

It will be a very interesting discussion Tim Murray and staff will be having.

I expect he will get three more exhibition games and nine in the NHL.

But he is going to have to show some improvement.

I was not impressed with the Sabres play, overall.

Stewart had a good game, but the players we will be "counting on" weren't there (I.e. Staff, Mouls, Ennis, Gionta, Hodg).

Reinhart, Schaller, and Zadorov were invisible. Foligno blended in, which at this point in his career, sucks.

If you are pulling for the tank, then it was a good game. Toronto looked terrible, and still won.

Mentally Reinhart seems capable, but think his body will betray his NHL chances for this year though. I'd still give him 9 games though, he needs NHL competition to adjust better, then send him down with a nice list of goals with the carrot dangling to return after the deadline if he massacres the Junior leagues and grows a tad. Contract be damned in that case if you get the idea. I wish he could play in the AHL though.....

1st line was spotty in performance, Stafford seems driven though. Moulson and Ennis had iffy games but did show flashes of skill.

Hodgson looked oddly greedy; what changed over the summer? He used to be almost too giving before. Stewart looked very good, tapered off in the 2nd, seem to awaken in the 3rd again though.

Everyone else just looked their part, Risto wasn't great but wasn't bad, Zadorov needs AHL time it would seem.

Mentally Reinhart seems capable, but think his body will betray his NHL chances for this year though. I'd still give him 9 games though, he needs NHL competition to adjust better, then send him down with a nice list of goals with the carrot dangling to return after the deadline if he massacres the Junior leagues and grows a tad. Contract be damned in that case if you get the idea. I wish he could play in the AHL though.....

1st line was spotty in performance, Stafford seems driven though. Moulson and Ennis had iffy games but did show flashes of skill.

Hodgson looked oddly greedy; what changed over the summer? He used to be almost too giving before. Stewart looked very good, tapered off in the 2nd, seem to awaken in the 3rd again though.

Everyone else just looked their part, Risto wasn't great but wasn't bad, Zadorov needs AHL time it would seem.

Maybe he is being coached to be greedy.

Crazy thing is that Bennett is getting a lot of buzz out of Calgary. I'm thinking it's based on his skating ability. I like Reinhart a lot but after watching him play a couple of games he needs more speed. The kid is destined back to junior. The kid would absolutely have to Wow the coaching staff and GM Murray and I highly doubt that's happening. I wouldn't rush him at all. No need to play him on the third line. I'm just wondering if Grigs is more ready than Reinhart right now?

Ya if he was wowing the coaching staff then I would have no problem keeping him up but that's not the case at all from the (admittedly) few games I've seen of him so far. He appears destined for the whl unless something drastic changes.

Here's the thing with Reinhart: he doesn't have a game that's going to jump off the ice and wow you. Stylistically, he's much more Bergeron than Kane. So I really don't think that's the criteria we should use to decide if he stays or goes.

I thought his defensive zone work was the best part of his game last night. That can't be a bad thing, right?

Nope. Loved it. Seriously, my goal is for him to get to Bergeron's all around game. Then we get our offensive dynamo next draft (or Grigs develops, either way).

I keep thinking of his really good backcheck late in the third last night when Meszaros and Weber were both flat footed and ripe for the picking. He took away the pass in the middle of the ice and it was perfect. That's the kind of stuff we need from him. It's that ability to read the play and his skating that are going to allow him to hang on this team.

I don't think he's going back to juniors even though I support that move. If he can play well in his own end then that will justify keeping him here until the offense starts coming.

Here's the thing with Reinhart: he doesn't have a game that's going to jump off the ice and wow you. Stylistically, he's much more Bergeron than Kane. So I really don't think that's the criteria we should use to decide if he stays or goes.

If Reinhart remains a Sabre this season you will see a steady constant improvement with minor and temporary drops sprinkled in as his brain adjusts to the speed and style of the game.

Mikhail Grigorenko is looking very solid for a 20yr old mid 1st round pick.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.