GDT: Carolina at Buffalo 7PM Sept 23 Preseason WGR 550 No TV

Brawndo

I love the way the WinPhone works, but the apps just aren't there.

Me too but they have to increase market share before they get more apps.

It will take at least 40-50 games for Samson to 'click' as it were and he may not be ready this year. He isn't going to be Nathan MacKinnon-esque

He showed me nothing other than a bad giveaway that sticks out. No point in having him here to develop. Back he goes.

Any estimate on how many people were there?

I'm guessing no more than 10k.

I agree with that and think closer to 8K and I was expecting 12K

Give him his nine and then send him back with a workout and nutrition plan. See you next summer stronger, bigger, and more mature. Absolutely no point in subjecting this kid to an 82 game beatdown on a team that is going nowhere.

Don't let his draft position change a thing.

This is the gospel on this KID.

The weird thing about the stall incident is that I didn't see a whole lot happen, they were on the end boards near the bench and it looked like a small topple over each other, it wasn't a thundering hit or anything dirty from where I was sitting, then you just saw stall on the ice in a lot of pain. It sucks to get injured in preseason for sure, especially when it's gonna be long term-ish

Funny I was saying the same thing. It was an innocent harmless check on the boards and then down he goes. Knew he was in trouble as you don't see hockey players writhing in pain like that with their arms over their head. Freaky bad luck.

Lemieux stood out to me every shift he had. Always around the puck. Pretty fast and aggressive. Him and girg on a line together would be fun to watch.

I was kind of stunned at how small Lemieux was. The kid has game though and makes himself noticeable every shift it seemed. Will be a beast in a full size body.

I don't care where he was picked in the draft. The kid needs to go back to juniors period. If Drouin can go back as the 3rd overall pick then Samson can go back as the 2nd.

Have any of you folks making the comparison to Jonathan Drouin ever actually looked at Drouin's record? Even after the "extra" year in Juniors, Drouin has played three seasons with a total of 128 games in Juniors. In comparison, Sam Reinhart has already played in 3 full seasons and part of a fourth, for a total of 203 games. Reinhart already has 60% (75 games, a full season's worth!) more games in Juniors than Drouin and if he goes back again this year he will have more than doubled Drouin's experience.

It is a horrible comparison!

Have any of you folks making the comparison to Jonathan Drouin ever actually looked at Drouin's record? Even after the "extra" year in Juniors, Drouin has played three seasons with a total of 128 games in Juniors. In comparison, Sam Reinhart has already played in 3 full seasons and part of a fourth, for a total of 203 games. Reinhart already has 60% (75 games, a full season's worth!) more games in Juniors than Drouin and if he goes back again this year he will have more than doubled Drouin's experience.

This is a great point. I think everyone agrees he belongs in the AHL, but that's just not an option. It's decently a grigorenko situation. However, I don't think going in the NHL when you aren't ready is a path that should be taken

This.

If Reinhart goes back that is fine but it isn't a Drouin situation.

Did anyone see video highlights of this game? They showed some on the news here in NC and the quality was so bad that it looked like the lights were out in the arena. I'm just curious where that video came from and if you may have gotten it on the news up there as well. The only thing they showed was the Staal injury.

Remember that Sam Reinhart will take time. He isn't going to come in and light anything up. I would play him every preseason game and his 9 NHL games before deciding. Sam is going to be one of those players where one week he will struggle and then the next week it just clicks into place and the game slows down for him again. When that happens is anyone's guess.

Remember that Sam Reinhart will take time. He isn't going to come in and light anything up. I would play him every preseason game and his 9 NHL games before deciding. Sam is going to be one of those players where one week he will Istruggle and then the next week it just clicks into place and the game slows down for him again. When that happens is anyone's guess.

The kid is 18. Realistically could have a 15+ year career. Is 6 more months in juniors going to hurt him? Where he is at physically scares me.

I have a very physically gifted 17 year old. Much bigger and stronger than Samson. The thought of putting him out there for 82 games would scare the hell out of me.

Not to mention living the NHL lifestyle. That is another part I don't feel these kids are ready for. I understand the NHL is unique in getting these kids going ASAP but that is a lot to put on a kids plate.

Remember that Sam Reinhart will take time. He isn't going to come in and light anything up. I would play him every preseason game and his 9 NHL games before deciding. Sam is going to be one of those players where one week he will struggle and then the next week it just clicks into place and the game slows down for him again. When that happens is anyone's guess.

I do not worry about Reinhart's ability to see and understand and anticipate the NHL game. Save perhaps for the physical aspect of it.

Where he is at physically scares me.

This is what I worry about. Did anyone see Zemgus truck him during the prospect camp? Z let him off easy, and still got him good. There's no need to expose Reinhart to that sort of nonsense this year.

I suspect it will be EXACTLY the Drouin situation. He just isn't ready for prime time yet, for whatever reason. Just like Drouin. Doesn't make him a lesser prospect than any other, just not ready yet. No shame in drafting him for that.

And the more I see (and mostly hear) of the kid, the less elite potential I get. Again, no shame in that. It may very well be one of those draft years where there simply were not elite level forwards to be had. Doesn't mean he can't/won't develop into good 1st line talent, but I'm not sure I am seeing a kid that will be spoken about when All Star game selections are being made in the future. Right now I am hoping he develops into the center equivalent of his Dad, although I'm not convinced how likely that is.

I suspect it will be EXACTLY the Drouin situation. He just isn't ready for prime time yet, for whatever reason. Just like Drouin. Doesn't make him a lesser prospect than any other, just not ready yet. No shame in drafting him for that.

And the more I see (and mostly hear) of the kid, the less elite potential I get. Again, no shame in that. It may very well be one of those draft years where there simply were not elite level forwards to be had. Doesn't mean he can't/won't develop into good 1st line talent, but I'm not sure I am seeing a kid that will be spoken about when All Star game selections are being made in the future. Right now I am hoping he develops into the center equivalent of his Dad, although I'm not convinced how likely that is.

Way too soon to make this call, although I admit to being similarly concerned.

Way too early to say what his ceiling is, obviously. Even so, didn't we read that a comparable NHL'er would be a guy like Adam Oates? That'd be fine by me. Plenty fine.

I see the "elite concerns" are shared. I have no need or expectation for the kid to become elite. It was a thin year -- we heard that a thousand times. He looks to be a layup-probability to become a good top-6 forward ("good" as in he'd be top-6 on any team in the league). I'll take it.

I'm surprised by the difference in general tone between the assessments of the 18-year-old Reinhart and the 24-year-old Manuel. I'm talking about the assessment of Samson's potential, not the people who are saying he's just not there yet.

Maybe it's all different posters, this forum sometimes appears to my brain as a singular, schizophrenic collective voice, but I think there are probably some individuals on the "too soon to judge EJ" train on a collision course with the "Samson is not who we thought" train.

Edited by Glass Case Of Emotion

Way too soon to make this call, although I admit to being similarly concerned.

Way too early to say what his ceiling is, obviously. Even so, didn't we read that a comparable NHL'er would be a guy like Adam Oates? That'd be fine by me. Plenty fine.

I see the "elite concerns" are shared. I have no need or expectation for the kid to become elite. It was a thin year -- we heard that a thousand times. He looks to be a layup-probability to become a good top-6 forward ("good" as in he'd be top-6 on any team in the league). I'll take it.

I know it is early. But my recollection the few times we've had real high end talents is they've shown it in their first camps. Same with reports from other teams about high end rooks. Not consistently, but it's there. Noone seems to be commenting on this with him so I assume he's not showing it much.

Yeah, Adam Oates equivalent would make me more than happy. Oates gave up his senior year in college to play in the pros. Samson may very well take that long to make the roster here too. My point being, exactly the Drouin situation.

I'm surprised by the difference in general tone between the assessments of the 18-year-old Reinhart and the 24-year-old Manuel. I'm talking about the assessment of Samson's potential, not the people who are saying he's just not there yet.

Maybe it's all different posters, this forum sometimes appears to my brain as a singular, schizophrenic collective voice, but I think there are probably some individuals on the "too soon to judge EJ" train on a collision course with the "Samson is not who we thought" train.

I'm on the pffffft.... it's the Bills, wake me when they are worth watching train. :P

Well the media came in and blew smoke up everyones ass after the EJ pick but has clearly doubted the Reinhart selection to some extent preaching caution. I believe the caution is a product of the Grigorenko debacle and Tim Murray himself not kissing Reinhart's backside.

18yr old (almost 19) Samson will easily take a few years. I would guess as I have stated it will be 40-50 games of NHL before things start to click for him. If he doesn't make the team that's fine. Not worried at all.

Well the media came in and blew smoke up everyones ass after the EJ pick but has clearly doubted the Reinhart selection to some extent preaching caution. I believe the caution is a product of the Grigorenko debacle and Tim Murray himself not kissing Reinhart's backside.

18yr old (almost 19) Samson will easily take a few years. I would guess as I have stated it will be 40-50 games of NHL before things start to click for him. If he doesn't make the team that's fine. Not worried at all.

I know i really shouldn't ask, but... what?

Edited by qwksndmonster

I really think Reinhart will be a very good to great player (not based on my expert scouting, but just what I have heard), but what I do feel VERY strongly about is the timeline for him to contribute to this roster should be starting with the 2016-2017 season. If he comes banging down the door before then, then great.

The only thing is, the optimal situation in my mind would be onre more year in Junior and then one year with the Amerks....but NHL rules say he won't be eligible for a full year in the AHL until 2 more full years in Junior, correct?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.