Samsung Galaxy S4

inkman

The difference for me is the apparently lack of planned obsolescence in the Samsungs. My Galaxy S3 runs like the day it was new. The updates and the apps haven't slowed it down. Minus the battery life which has decreased a bit (nowheres near as bad as my last iphone over the course of two years), I expect this phone should last me another two years without issue. Four years for an iPhone? Fuggiddaboutit.

THIS. There is no reason my iPad 2 should be as bad as it is now, because it was perfectly functional before installing iOS 8. With Android phones it's sometimes annoying that they'll stop releasing updates sooner than you think they would, but at least they won't push an update that your phone can't handle and effectively kill it.

I had an S4. Damn thing almost caught fire. Melted the outer case and burned my fingers when I went to pick it up in the morning.

Same battery, same cord. a full year from a new plan. F' Samsung.

I've noticed mine getting really warn. Sounds like I need to keep an eye on that.

I had an S4. Damn thing almost caught fire. Melted the outer case and burned my fingers when I went to pick it up in the morning.

Same battery, same cord. a full year from a new plan. F' Samsung.

I've noticed mine getting really warn. Sounds like I need to keep an eye on that.

OEM battery or aftermarket?

That'd be OEM (original equipment manufacturer). Do you leave it plugged in / charging for long periods of time, or does it overheat during regular use?

Given my need to have it functioning, from work and my wife with the baby, I have it plugged in 8-10 hours a day.

Given my need to have it functioning, from work and my wife with the baby, I have it plugged in 8-10 hours a day.

Oh yikes, that might be part of the problem... does your battery drain that quickly on its own, or do you use it a lot? If on its own there should be settings you can change (screen brightness, etc) and/or battery preservation apps you can use to help.

THIS. There is no reason my iPad 2 should be as bad as it is now, because it was perfectly functional before installing iOS 8. With Android phones it's sometimes annoying that they'll stop releasing updates sooner than you think they would, but at least they won't push an update that your phone can't handle and effectively kill it.

Sounds like I lucked out being too lazy to update to ios 7. Did Steve Jobzz really have that much to do with routine updates? How can apple be so terrible?

Oh yikes, that might be part of the problem... does your battery drain that quickly on its own, or do you use it a lot? If on its own there should be settings you can change (screen brightness, etc) and/or battery preservation apps you can use to help.

Unplugged my phone at 7 am this morning. It's at 68% and falling. Any setting suggestions are appreciated.

Unplugged my phone at 7 am this morning. It's at 68% and falling. Any setting suggestions are appreciated.

That is fast! I have a Nexus 5 so not exactly the same, but with routine use (checking a few times during the day and a couple phone calls, some longer) it's still at 50% after 24 hours. There's a couple tips here for the S4 that might help:

http://www.androidcentral.com/top-tips-saving-battery-life-samsung-galaxy-s4

In general, screen brightness, wifi, GPS/location services, and bluetooth will all cause a quicker drain, so if you're not using those all the time it's good to disable them until you need them.

My brother has the s4, and he's a big fan of purchasing increased capacity batteries. If you don't want to increase the depth of your phone, then buying a simple replacement battery shouldn't be too expensive.

Edited by qwksndmonster

It depends on how much messing around you want to do. I keep my GPS services off as turn my screen brightness to the lowest setting manually. That helps a lot with battery life. If you don't want to lose those functions or have to keep turning them on and off, I'd recommend checking out a new battery. The OEM ones are known to have issues with heating up.

FYI Lithium Ion batteries overheat when they are charged and/or discharged at too high of a rate, not generally when they are plugged in too long. Plugging in too long may affect longevity and ability to hold a charge (it depends on whether your charger has the ability to sense charge level and turn off).

I'm really liking this new SwiftKey keyboard. Thanks to all who recommended it.

And to anyone looking for a phone upgrade, I recommend LG. I have had the G2 for a year and a half and it's just great. My techie friends have the new G3 and that phone is amazing.

I have the S5 and I have it on the first power saving mode. The thing easily lasts all day and is really great. No overheating issues to report and it outlasts my friends Iphone 5.

Define "lasts all day". When you get home there is 5% left or you don't have to charge it again until you go to bed.

Even when they stop releasing official updates for Android phones, if you have a popular model there's almost certainly custom roms you can load with the newest android version.

Define "lasts all day". When you get home there is 5% left or you don't have to charge it again until you go to bed.

I used it quite heavily yesterday and when I went to bed I had 27% left. My screen is on auto-dim and I have the first level of power saving on. I also keep the GPS off.

There is Power Saving Mode and Ultra Power Saving Mode. I use the 1st one.

I used it quite heavily yesterday and when I went to bed I had 27% left. My screen is on auto-dim and I have the first level of power saving on. I also keep the GPS off.

There is Power Saving Mode and Ultra Power Saving Mode. I use the 1st one.

I've made all the recommendations in this thread except I need the screen brightness slightly higher than the bottom setting. Current percent at 84% after 4 hours off charger.

its not about the samsung galaxy but I dont wanna open a cellphone thread for one comment...

I am so jealous that you guys have the Motorola Droid Turbo (aka Moto Maxx)... I want it! I want! I want! Sadly it looks as if they dont release it in europe, let alone germany. ###### it Motorola...

• 11 months later...

Samsung Galaxay is nice, but most of the phones have an issue, just hope you notice it before warrantee expires.

They sometimes shut down because of an error with battery, wich mine has but only started after i had it more than a year.

Rocking the Galaxay S-plus. But when it comes to smartphones, i think Samsung still is the best you can get.

My s4 the bed. I replaced the screen after breaking and it died a slow death. Just over a year. Multiple issues. The new screen caused all sorts of touch issues but the nail in the coffin was the battery charge port. It got all loose and wiggly like my iphone.

The issue is me. I use my phone too much while charging. It puts force on a area that should not have any. So, I got an s6 active with insurance and wireless charger. Think I got my bases covered.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.