Samsung Galaxy S4

inkman

Me too. (I have a five). Simple. Efficient. No issues whatsoever.

But I still have considered hopping to Samsung next year.

I'm the kind of person where, if it isn't broken, and there are no problems with it, I'm not changing. It's not that I don't like change, but when it comes to electronics, I don't have the patience to re-teach myself something all the time. I'm too busy immersing myself in one of 3 things: my relationship, my sports, or my engineering skills (I take classes and have signed up for a lot of professional societies so that I can be up to date on everything I do). I just don't have the time to learn a new phone, when I can just keep getting my iPhone updated :angel:

I'm the kind of person where, if it isn't broken, and there are no problems with it, I'm not changing. It's not that I don't like change, but when it comes to electronics, I don't have the patience to re-teach myself something all the time. I'm too busy immersing myself in one of 3 things: my relationship, my sports, or my engineering skills (I take classes and have signed up for a lot of professional societies so that I can be up to date on everything I do). I just don't have the time to learn a new phone, when I can just keep getting my iPhone updated :angel:

Respectable. Good luck with the engineering!

Yeah, I am really impressed with the build quality. The aluminum case just makes it feel so much more sturdy. The front facing speakers make so much more sense. Not like I'm going to make it my primary audio source, but it is nice when watching videos. I still have the M7, not due for an upgrade for a few months. But, Sprint and HTC still gives us every update. Kit Kat 4.4.2 and HTC Sense 6.0. What's the biggest difference between the M7 and M8?

Honestly the biggest differences are the internal hardware. Significantly faster chip and much improved battery life. Screen is a little bigger and the LCD a little better color quality, but nothing huge. The chip doesn't even really matter right now, but I think it will once Android L is released. Oh, and the body is 90% aluminum rather than 70%, but I doubt it's actually noticeable.

It has been on the phone for a while, but Samsung phones have a translator app built in. You can either type or speak your phrase (or pick pre-loaded ones) and the app will translate to text or will speak the translation. I'm sure there are other apps like this available on both iOS and Android, but for a freebie, it works pretty well.

Choosing between iPhone and Android has always been mostly a personal preference, but Samsung has come up with some pretty good features lately. (I have the Galaxy Note 3, which has a stylus you can write, draw or point with. I don't use it a lot, but it's nice to have it when you need it. Ever try signing your name on an iPhone with your finger?).

Big issue found over the weekend. People with iPhones trying to text me. Apparently you need to jump through 15 hoops in order to continue receiving texts from iphones. The simple fix is having the sender turn off imessage. Asking everyone if my contacts to do this is unreasonable. So I had to go into my old phone, put my old sim card in and turn off imessage on that phone. Then I had to go to Microsoft and delete my device from my profile. This has solved 80% of the problem. Still working on the other 20%.

Big issue found over the weekend. People with iPhones trying to text me. Apparently you need to jump through 15 hoops in order to continue receiving texts from iphones. The simple fix is having the sender turn off imessage. Asking everyone if my contacts to do this is unreasonable. So I had to go into my old phone, put my old sim card in and turn off imessage on that phone. Then I had to go to Microsoft and delete my device from my profile. This has solved 80% of the problem. Still working on the other 20%.

Yea, when you change from iphone to something else you have to deactivate your own iMessage before doing so or nobody can send you texts.

Yea, when you change from iphone to something else you have to deactivate your own iMessage before doing so or nobody can send you texts.

no you don't. People with iPhones just need to re-send a couple of message as texts, and then the phone will recognize it within I think 30 days.

my cousin switches back and forth like crazy, and I can always tell when he switches from an iphone to something else. It takes a couple weeks to recognize, but it eventually will. If the sender doesn't delete the conversation, and sends you more than a text every once in a blue moon, it'll recognize quicker.

no you don't. People with iPhones just need to re-send a couple of message as texts, and then the phone will recognize it within I think 30 days.

my cousin switches back and forth like crazy, and I can always tell when he switches from an iphone to something else. It takes a couple weeks to recognize, but it eventually will. If the sender doesn't delete the conversation, and sends you more than a text every once in a blue moon, it'll recognize quicker.

If you want it immediately you do it the way I said. If you want "within 30 days," then this works.

Honestly the biggest differences are the internal hardware. Significantly faster chip and much improved battery life. Screen is a little bigger and the LCD a little better color quality, but nothing huge. The chip doesn't even really matter right now, but I think it will once Android L is released. Oh, and the body is 90% aluminum rather than 70%, but I doubt it's actually noticeable.

The Max version is tempting. Supposedly they're looking at a October/November release. Nothing concrete though.

If you want it immediately you do it the way I said. If you want "within 30 days," then this works.

Your method is still not fool proof as iphone users are having to send me emails telling name their messages aren't going through. Maybe it just takes time but this is getting more frustrating. I need to be in contact with work 24/7.

Your method is still not fool proof as iphone users are having to send me emails telling name their messages aren't going through. Maybe it just takes time but this is getting more frustrating. I need to be in contact with work 24/7.

https://supportprofi...pportProfile.do

Go to edit products and delete your device.

Edited by Tankalicious

• 2 months later...

The microphone (speak-to-text) actually works surprisingly well most of the time, but SwiftKey is definitely the way to go otherwise. I use a combo depending on where I am when I'm texting (don't want to be that idiot talking into their phone at the grocery store).

So does anyone have a good keyboard app to download? The auto correct and "Sym" key are really annoying with the default keyboard.

Been using swype.

Love hearing that peopel are moving away from Apple. I've had a S3 for 3 years and it still does everything I need it to do. Might upgrade with S6, but as of now I see no real benefit the S3 has stood the test of time in the smart phone industry

Been using swype.

Love hearing that peopel are moving away from Apple. I've had a S3 for 3 years and it still does everything I need it to do. Might upgrade with S6, but as of now I see no real benefit the S3 has stood the test of time in the smart phone industry

Yup. I had the s3 and now have the s5. A few friends were pushing me to get an Iphone so I played around with theirs and hated the thing. No removable memory and I can't take the battery out, also the ihone seemed slower but I don't know how many apps they had going so

The difference for me is the apparently lack of planned obsolescence in the Samsungs. My Galaxy S3 runs like the day it was new. The updates and the apps haven't slowed it down. Minus the battery life which has decreased a bit (nowheres near as bad as my last iphone over the course of two years), I expect this phone should last me another two years without issue. Four years for an iPhone? Fuggiddaboutit.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.