Andre Benoit Signed By Sabres

Brawndo

It's just a guess at this point, but I think Risto will be ahead of Pysyk by the time the season starts -- so the question will be whether Pysyk is good enough to put Weber or Benoit into the #7 slot.

I'd argue Pysyk was better then Weber last year and should be this year. Pysyk is quietly very good.

It's just a guess at this point, but I think Risto will be ahead of Pysyk by the time the season starts -- so the question will be whether Pysyk is good enough to put Weber or Benoit into the #7 slot.

I'm just not sure because Risto may be the more talented of the two (along with the higher ceiling), but Pysyk just seems like he needs to get NHL time. He's been through the system and process for years now. Get him in Buffalo.

I also see no reason or indication that they both can't get heavy minutes in Buffalo.

I'd argue Pysyk was better then Weber last year and should be this year. Pysyk is quietly very good.

I'm just not sure because Risto may be the more talented of the two (along with the higher ceiling), but Pysyk just seems like he needs to get NHL time. He's been through the system and process for years now. Get him in Buffalo.

I also see no reason or indication that they both can't get heavy minutes in Buffalo.

I think that when Pysyk is on his game, he's better than Weber -- but I thought he was pretty up-and-down last year. He has very little physicality in his game, so his decision-making really has to be in a good groove in order for him to add value. That will probably improve over time.

OTOH, there isn't much nasty in the D group other than Weber, although I think Risto will deliver a good amount of physicality and Myers sometimes will as well. But if Weber is on his game, he provides an element that is otherwise in short supply.

Been saying for weeks now we'd sign one more affordable veteran defenseman. Guess Benoit is the guy. No way we'd go into the season with three rookies in the top-7 (Pysyk, Rudy, Risto). This adds one more veteran so we can have any two of Pysyk, Rudy, and Risto with the big club and the other in Rochester. The move makes a ton of sense.

There is no way Pysyk ends up in Rochester this year. He will be one of the top 4 guys.

There is no way Pysyk ends up in Rochester this year. He will be one of the top 4 guys.

Well, he spent half the season in Rochester last year, so TM and TN didn't think he was ready. And I think they signed Benoit at least partially because they aren't sure he'll be ready this year.

Well, he spent half the season in Rochester last year, so TM and TN didn't think he was ready. And I think they signed Benoit at least partially because they aren't sure he'll be ready this year.

I don't think him spending time in Rochester means he isn't ready. Same thing can be said about this season. Ready doesn't mean a player has to be with the NHL club.

Sometimes, like last year, it may be better to play elsewhere for a period of time.

This will be Pysyk's fifth season since being drafted. If he's not ready yet then we should be worried.

If last year was about playing your best players Pysyk, Risto and Larsson(?) would have been year. You can't keep telling a guy whose done all you asked to take one for the team and they know it. It cost these guys a lot of money to play for AHL money. There is no way they ask Mark to do that again. He was the good soldier last year and now is his time

Pysyk has paid his dues. He was ready last year and will be in Buffalo barring his game falling off the face of the earth, which it won't do.

Benoit is like Strachan and to a lesser extent, Meszaros and Weber:they are placeholders and obstacles. making sure the kids won't have to be in the NHL until they should.

Edited by dudacek

Or, Pysyk will be down, along with Risto and Grigs, because they don't need to clear waivers, Zad and Samson will be back in Juniors, and we will be purposefully icing a roster designed to lose games.

just a possibility.

Possible. But I don't think a guy like Pysyk really moves the needle. If they wanted to fully dive into this philosophy we'd still have a Scott and a McBain.

Or, Pysyk will be down, along with Risto and Grigs, because they don't need to clear waivers, Zad and Samson will be back in Juniors, and we will be purposefully icing a roster designed to lose games.

just a possibility.

I'm confused at the thought that all of these kids suddenly make us win games this year. In a couple years sure, but they're not taking us anywhere in 2015 if they're on the roster.

I'm confused at the thought that all of these kids suddenly make us win games this year. In a couple years sure, but they're not taking us anywhere in 2015 if they're on the roster.

I'm sorry, My intention was to indicate that we wanted to insulate the kids from the losing.

Zemgus gets to stay because he is immune to your failures.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.