Vanek in ROC court

bcsaberks

I wasn't clear. I know why he's getting the attention. He's a minor celebrity. Maybe it wasn't right to call it a perp walk, unless someone in the investigation tipped off the media.

I guess what I'm asking is why Vanek would be brought in as a witness, above so many others. Number of bets? Amount of bets?

Someone called a Rochester TV station and tipped it off that Vanek was in federal court. Could be a passerby, could be a clerk at the courthouse, could be anyone.

Why is he brought in? Possibly volume; possibly to show that the ring extended to betting a certain sport (Austrian soccer?) or something like that. It's really pure speculation. It's [puts on sunglasses] anybody's bet.

I wasn't clear. I know why he's getting the attention. He's a minor celebrity. Maybe it wasn't right to call it a perp walk, unless someone in the investigation tipped off the media.

I guess what I'm asking is why Vanek would be brought in as a witness, above so many others. Number of bets? Amount of bets?

My guess is he bet on Hockey, and has a deal to seal that evidence in exchange for his testimony.

• 3 months later...

Update http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/2014/10/30/internet-gambling-plea-rochester-mark-ruff/18168767/

Wolford said after the plea that the $230,000 was a small portion of the overall debt owed by the gambler who paid with an Islanders check. The total of the debt was more than $1 million, he said.

You'd think the Islanders would offer direct deposit.

Interesting. That and the Austrian Olympic hockey team drinking scandal while captain, the Edmonton offer sheet, the Montreal playoff follies all adds up to a player with a defective character, although supremely talented hands.

He's a jerky because Edmonton opened the brinks truck for him? Don't tell me he didn't have to sign, it was $50 million.

The report alleges that while a member of the Islanders, Vanek endorsed a pay-check in the amount of $230,000 to Mark Ruff to cover a gambling debt.

http://prohockeytalk...dering-scandal/

I never really pegged Vanek as a guy prone to excessive vices -- and yet, there's the boozing at the Olympics and now gambling debts into multiple six-figures.

Weird.

Makes me like him even more.

Makes me think he's a bit of a creep. I'm not a big fan of people who seem to present one way, and then have contrary stuff going on behind closed doors. Whatever.

It all makes sense now. Looking up at the board. The Vanek Face. He was seeing the out of town scores.

This is just a gem.

Makes me think he's a bit of a creep. I'm not a big fan of people who seem to present one way, and then have contrary stuff going on behind closed doors. Whatever.

Did you want him to walk around with a coffin nail hanging out of his mouth, wearing a Caesars Palace t - shirt with a flask of JD in his back pocket?

In a world where Patrick Kane was slammed for CELEBRATING WINNING THE FREAKIN" STANLEY FREAKIN' CUP!!!, can you blame him. Do our athletes have to be Puritanical robots? They aren't allowed to be people and have fun and make mistakes. And if they do there will be some TMZ type douchebag to exploit their fall.

[/minirant]

Update http://www.democrata...-ruff/18168767/

Wolford said after the plea that the $230,000 was a small portion of the overall debt owed by the gambler who paid with an Islanders check. The total of the debt was more than $1 million, he said.

You'd think the Islanders would offer direct deposit.

So if he owed a mill but only paid 230k he's ahead by 800k? Sweet.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.