Sabres sign Tyler Ennis to 5 year / $23 M deal

Swedesessed

I think I've said here before, but any good team can (and often does) have 1 or maybe 2 small skilled forwards. The problem the Sabres have had in the past is that they've had 4-5 in the top six. Ennis will be an asset, either as a player or a piece in a trade down the road. He's plenty good to stay in the NHL.

Depending on the talent that Ennis will possibly be playing with? I think you can count on 15-20 goals about 40 points low end. High end? 20-25 goals 50-60 points in a single season. IMO, if Ennis is in the Sabres top 6 than the Sabres aren't were we all want to see them at as a franchise in the coming years. Ennis is a decent talented player, I'm not trying to drill on the guy. My end high end hopes and expectations for all these young kids the Sabres are accumulating will hopefully slot Ennis where I mentioned, a third line winger.

I think I'm where you are productivity wise, and I'd like his talent level to be on our borderline 2nd/3rd line, but that pay is very much in line with that production. So, he'll either fit in the cap and be value at his pay, or he doesn't fit in the cap (eventually we're going to have to make Chicago-like decisions and let go of good players) but his pay will be in line with his production and he'll be perfectly tradable.

I think Ennis' production will increase as the team gets bigger and better around him.

He hasn't got the goods to be a lead dog, but I think he can be very good riding shotgun for, say, a Jack Eichel.

Very few teams in today's NHL have players as good as Ennis on their third line.

I like the price and the term.

I also happen to like the player. At his best, he was 'greasy,' as Lindy described him.

Enzo can be a top 6 forward (wing) on a good NHL team.

He at least gives solid effort most of the time. Of Hodgson, Myers and Ennis....I'm most comfortable that Ennis comes closest to earning his entire contract.

I think I've said here before, but any good team can (and often does) have 1 or maybe 2 small skilled forwards. The problem the Sabres have had in the past is that they've had 4-5 in the top six. Ennis will be an asset, either as a player or a piece in a trade down the road. He's plenty good to stay in the NHL.

I think Ennis' production will increase as the team gets bigger and better around him.

He hasn't got the goods to be a lead dog, but I think he can be very good riding shotgun for, say, a Jack Eichel.

Very few teams in today's NHL have players as good as Ennis on their third line.

I agree with both of these.

$4.6 average is too much for Ennis. If everything works out as planned, meaning Sabres hit on majority of these top picks, you end up paying a lot of money for a smallish third line winger. It shouldn't be a problem cap wise considering most of the top young talent the Sabres hope to have over the next few years will be on entry level contracts or bridge contracts.

By that time the cap ceiling might be like 90 million. Its a reasonable contract.

He at least gives solid effort most of the time. Of Hodgson, Myers and Ennis....I'm most comfortable that Ennis comes closest to earning his entire contract.

I like the effort too. He seemed to really respond to Nolan and get after it, problem is his production was still pretty lame. Better teammates should help. Also from the limited exposure we have to his personality, he seems like a good dude / teammate to have (goofy interview series from a couple years ago, though I still don't get that sport goods store commercial).

I like the effort too. He seemed to really respond to Nolan and get after it, problem is his production was still pretty lame. Better teammates should help. Also from the limited exposure we have to his personality, he seems like a good dude / teammate to have (goofy interview series from a couple years ago, though I still don't get that sport goods store commercial).

I thought Rolston's use of Ennis was inexplicable at times. Nolan at least told the guy to just play his game of hockey.

Ennis is kind of like the kid in a pick-up basketball that runs the entire court well, but he's not your first pick once it turns into a half-court, no blood no foul game.

I'm not sure there's much to get. It's a play on those post-game and between period interviews where the player just spouts off some cliches instead of answering the question. Pominville was the king of it, I almost think the commercial was written for him before he left.

Interlocutor: "Tyler, the Bruins really took some stupid penalties out there last period. Is the team looking to take advantage of that and draw them into spending more time on the PK?"

Ennis: "This is a big game and the Bruins are a good team. If we step up and execute[0] our game plan, I think we can win it."

[0] That was a Bills thing a bunch of years ago, right? I remember it was stuck in my head for awhile.

For reference:

He finished second on the team in points (43) behind Hodgson (44). On a team full of clowns, that's respectable. Our best winger, Matty Mo, was on pace for 54 points. Our next best winger, Stafford, finished with 34. According to usage charts, Ennis was able to achieve this while playing against the toughest opponents (along with Stafford and Foligno). I'm not sure it's possible, but I'm comfortable saying that this team would've somehow looked a lot worse this past year without Ennis.

On a good team, Ennis is a 2nd line forward. Maybe, hopefully, we'll return to the days of '05-'07, when we had three legitimate scoring lines, and then Ennis will fit nicely on third line (not unlike how Derek Roy used to). That'd be fun.

This is a strong offering. He can play wing or center, put out 20+ mins per game and would be a great linemate for Reinhart. GO MURRAY GO! :thumbsup:

Barring great chemistry, I don't think you put Ennis on a wing with Samson. By all reports Samson isn't overly physical, so you'd have two "non-hitting skill players" on the same line, with whomever is on the other side. I think they'd get manhandled. Although if we're at the point where Reinhart is our 2nd center, we're in pretty good shape so I think it'd be fine.

I know Paul Hamilton repeats his same opinions on the air twice a day(morning and afternoon shows) for months on end, thinks the Sabres can only keep Ennis or Hodgson. He refers to them as the "same player", which I never understand what he means, and he never gets challenged on it by the hosts. I disagree, and if Hodgson can make a successful and permanent transition to wing, I think they both have a place on the Sabres...at least for the next 2-3 years

I know Paul Hamilton repeats his same opinions on the air twice a day(morning and afternoon shows) for months on end, thinks the Sabres can only keep Ennis or Hodgson. He refers to them as the "same player", which I never understand what he means, and he never gets challenged on it by the hosts. I disagree, and if Hodgson can make a successful and permanent transition to wing, I think they both have a place on the Sabres...at least for the next 2-3 years

Yea that doesn't make any sense to me. About their only similarities are ideally being second line players and being weak defensively. But they have very different strengths and styles offensively.

I'll put this here:

http://www.tsn.ca/bardown/Story.aspx?What%2bIf%2bEvery%2bNHL%2bPlayer%2bWent%2bHome%2bLike%2bLeBron&id=457388

It's a discussion if every NHL player tried to go to his home team (a la Lebron), who would be the top line. Why here? TSN picked Tyler Ennis for C in Edmonton.

So who's buffalo gonna have for a starting 5? Gionta, Callahan, Stempniak, Orpik? Who else? They went pretty far away from the team city, so we could definitely claim Dustin Brown based on this. Who plays goal?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.