Sabres sign Tyler Ennis to 5 year / $23 M deal

Swedesessed

So who's buffalo gonna have for a starting 5? Gionta, Callahan, Stempniak, Orpik? Who else? They went pretty far away from the team city, so we could definitely claim Dustin Brown based on this. Who plays goal?

I'm guessing Pat Kane makes it. :) We might be able to claim Moulson from Mississauga right? It's closer to Buffalo than some of the London-born players that are on Toronto's grid. the Folignos might fill a spot too.

Edited by MattPie

So who's buffalo gonna have for a starting 5? Gionta, Callahan, Stempniak, Orpik? Who else? They went pretty far away from the team city, so we could definitely claim Dustin Brown based on this. Who plays goal?

Nick Foligno, and how Far East can we go?

Jimmy Howard is from Ogdensburg - Erik Cole, Syracuse

I'm guessing Pat Kane makes it. :) We might be able to claim Moulson from Mississauga right? It's closer to Buffalo than some of the London-born players that are on Toronto's grid. the Folignos might fill a spot too.

I will never include Patrick Kane on a sabers roster. Even a roster from fantasy land. Every single other person is more probable.

Edit: and I seriously didn't even think about him...doh!

Edited by ubkev

NHLers worth a ###### that played this year with birthplaces listed in NYS north of Westchester:

LW:

Erik Cole

Marcus Foligno

Nick Foligno

Tim Kennedy

RW:

Kane

Callahan

Brown

Gionta

Stempniak

Jeremy Morin

Kaleta

D:

Bogosian (Massena)

Lashoff

Notables from Southern-most Ontario:

LW:

Ryan Sheahan (St Catherines)

Dan Paille (Welland)

Cal Clutterbuck (Welland)

RW:

Nathan Horton (Welland)

D:

Dan Girardi (Welland)

Ryan Ellis (Hamilton)

It's tough because there's "Born near Buffalo" and "Grew up Near Buffalo". Orpik, for instance, was born in San Francisco. Looks like Buffalo is OK on the wings with Folignos on the left and Kane and Callahan on the left. Sucderi or Orpik can play D. Not sure who would play goal, I think Syracuse is pushing it. Center is pretty thin. What else is new.

Probably should start a thread for this... mods?

Edited by MattPie

I'm good with the Ennis deal for now. Of course, if he turns into an injury prone, 10 goals a year player, we'll be hearing how Murray made a big mistake. While that can happen, so can him turning into an occasional 30 goal scorer. What is most likely, of course, is someplace in the middle.

Given a big role in the offensive zone, I think 20-25 goal seasons are what we should be hoping for reasonably.

I'm good with the Ennis deal for now. Of course, if he turns into an injury prone, 10 goals a year player, we'll be hearing how Murray made a big mistake. While that can happen, so can him turning into an occasional 30 goal scorer. What is most likely, of course, is someplace in the middle.

Given a big role in the offensive zone, I think 20-25 goal seasons are what we should be hoping for reasonably.

Agree. Always liked Ennis. Plays larger than he is. Great offensive skills. Gives all he has every shift. Doesn't throw teammates under the bus. A good Buffalo player in the right city.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's a cap recapture disaster waiting to happen, isn't it?

Only if you think there's a chance he'll retired before he turns 30. Even if we end up trading him, he's low risk to not play out the contract based on his age. Edited by Drunkard

Breakdown of the contract.

Pays 7.3 Million this year, followed by 4.75, then 3.65 Million the final three years.

Works for the team and is very easily trade-able if Murray desires.

Also makes him very tradeable if he doesn't fit anymore in 2 years time.

It would be great for this franchise if a player like Ennis outplayed their contract. It's a different outlook, short and long term, if Myers and Hodgson joined him.

It would be HUGE if two out of three of them played like solid top3/2 guys for the next 5 years. Other than Myers, I don't think anyone is counting on that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.