Islanders Watch - Tank Commander II

X. Benedict

Well, lets see...

The Islanders have played Carolina twice (yeah the team WE just beat) and were outshot 43 - 27 against the now 1-3 Rangers. I'm not worried - their schedule has been the reverse of our schedule. Give it time.

No worries.

Edit: there -> their (oops - typing to fast)

Edited by Eric in Akron

Well, lets see...

The Islanders have played Carolina twice (yeah the team WE just beat) and were outshot 43 - 27 against the now 1-3 Rangers. I'm not worried - there schedule has been the reverse of our schedule. Give it time.

No worries.

That's a good point. Now I'm chuckling at the guy in my fantasy league who signed Nelson and Boychuk this week.

Isles have a truly elite center about to bust out in a big way, better goaltending, a better defense, some good kids on the way up like Strome and Samson's bro Griffin, they're about to move to Brooklyn, it's the last season on the Island, Wang has announced he's selling the team, and the players have to finally have confidence that Garth knows what he's doing and/or ownership is finally serious about winning. There are so many factors swinging the Islanders' way right now I'm kind of surprised Taro elected to put them in the league. They are clearly going to finish last and might even have to be relocated to the bigs before too soon.

Isles have a truly elite center about to bust out in a big way, better goaltending, a better defense, some good kids on the way up like Strome and Samson's bro Griffin, they're about to move to Brooklyn, it's the last season on the Island, Wang has announced he's selling the team, and the players have to finally have confidence that Garth knows what he's doing and/or ownership is finally serious about winning. There are so many factors swinging the Islanders' way right now I'm kind of surprised Taro elected to put them in the league. They are clearly going to finish last and might even have to be relocated to the bigs before too soon.

You've crossed a line here PA. A line you cannot retreat from. I suggest you seek professional help. :)

They have talent, no doubt. The issue is more organizational depth than anything. Adding a legit D pair at the last second raises their prospects for sure. I'm not ready to call them a playoff team yet though.

The Garth stuff is a funny inclusion in the post. I'd say it is a very safe bet that he will be sent packing shortly after that new ownership takes over. Maybe no in-season, but he will be gone before the draft.

The Garth stuff is a funny inclusion in the post. I'd say it is a very safe bet that he will be sent packing shortly after that new ownership takes over. Maybe no in-season, but he will be gone before the draft.

New ownership takes over majority control in two years. How is it funny? He addressed the team's glaring needs. Although it's a safe bet he's a goner, what if the Isles make a decent run in the playoffs? And then get better next year in Brooklyn?

Went w/ the charter members provided in the other thread. As I've mentioned in the CHL standings thread, I'll bump them if this initial burst proves enduring. Expecting if that happens for Filly to take their place, but it seems a little premature for relegation just yet.

New ownership takes over majority control in two years. How is it funny? He addressed the team's glaring needs. Although it's a safe bet he's a goner, what if the Isles make a decent run in the playoffs? And then get better next year in Brooklyn?

Then we will have to kick them out of the CHL for sure.

I hadn't heard the two year thing. It's kind of odd that word of that came out so far ahead of time. Anyway, I find the inclusion of Snow to be funny because of the suggestion that he knows what he's doing. This will be his 9th season there and he has been very consistent at putting bad teams out there. Maybe this year's team does work out, but given his track record, I would be leaning towards this being a blind squirrel (paging Wilbur) scenario. His proven track record of suck is too much to overlook.

I gotta say I will be so happy if the Islanders are in the playoff race at Christmas and watch it slowly slip away into a decent lottery pick — kinda like the Canucks' season last year.

And that isn't entirely because of the Sabres — the Islander bandwagon is starting to piss me off.

I gotta say I will be so happy if the Islanders are in the playoff race at Christmas and watch it slowly slip away into a decent lottery pick — kinda like the Canucks' season last year.

And that isn't entirely because of the Sabres — the Islander bandwagon is starting to piss me off.

The Islanders are a playoff team or pretty darn close to it barring injuries to key players. Say what you want they needed defense and acquire two pretty good ones in Boychuck and Leddy. As much as we all want to finish bad when they had the fifth pick last year I was hoping they would give us that pick but I knew Garth would make some moves to get Buffalo out of the McDavid sweepstakes this year. I will say we won't be getting a lottery ball from the Islanders.

Well the speculation that the Islanders may be benefiting from a softer opening schedule, one thing to remember is they also currently have 3 defenders on the injury list. da Haan, Visnovsky, and Carkner are all out but da Haan and Visnovsky are nearing a return.

De Hann was a -7 last year and Carkner was a -10 (2 of 3 worst Isles Dmen in terms of +/-). Visnovsky is a good player though.

Just like Weber was god awful last year, with Leddy and Boychuk on the team my guess is that De Haan and Carkner may have different roles this year.

That very well may be. De Haan was a 1st round pick although I was surprised he went as high as he did as I attended a lot of Generals games in his draft year. Carkner is a boarderline AHL player though.

Oh yea Carkner is not that good at all. He is similar to Weber is some ways. De Haan I honestly think has upside and is still relatively new for a defender.

Yeah but they still won. Islanders with the moves they made are a playoff team and if u don't think so then your gonna be disappointed. I know it's early but the additions of Leddy and Boychuck are huge. Throw in Strome and Reinhart and they have a solid squad. We are not going to get a lottery ball from the Islanders it's all up to Buffalo to do that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.