Free Agent Leaders Available

As long as Stafford remains, Brad Richards is safe, whether he's here or not.

I disagree. Nolan seems to have produced a passable version of Stafford.

Sabres fans love new toys, and will quickly get angry when they realize Richards isn't shiny, or new.

Given ages and their cap, Chicago would have to look seriously at moving Sharp or Hossa for cheaper, younger guys.

They are pieces five and six on that roster.

Hang on to all your core guys too long and you look like Vancouver.

But they lost in game 7 of the semis in OT to the team that rolled to the cup in the next round! I don't think they're ready for a revamping.

I suppose anything is possible next year but I'd be shocked if we saw them do a compliance buyout on either Hossa or Sharp.

Ott is the only person I want in FA. You know he loves the area and you can give him the C until Girgs or Reinhart is ready. Every post game interview he gave during that shitebag season was perfect (and you know the locker room speeches probably dwarfed the media given ones).

But they lost in game 7 of the semis in OT to the team that rolled to the cup in the next round! I don't think they're ready for a revamping.

I suppose anything is possible next year but I'd be shocked if we saw them do a compliance buyout on either Hossa or Sharp.

Oh, me too. And they don't need a revamping.

What I am saying is trading one of them for the going rate (a high pick, a good prospect and a young NHL vet) while you still can might be prudent.

That way you are continuing to develop affordable talent behind Toews and Kane.

Edited by dudacek

Nor should he. I'm certainly not advocating he should.

I agree that teams are unlikely to sign assets out of UFA that will have value in the future. Those guys don't often make it to UFA, and if they do, they're not signing with a bottom feeder.

Accepting that reality. I see two options: Trade current potential and futures for real assets now that also have some future value <or> Sign FAs that have much less value now and will be virtually useless when the time comes at the cost of nothing but money.

Working off those two options, I like the latter. I get to keep all my current prospects/picks so as to maximize my probability of developing the talent needed to contend. I also ice a significantly less talented team in '14-'15 which again improves my probability of drafting/developing the talent needed to contend.

That said, I would definitely be looking into the trade options. it's possible that some team might be willing to part with a current NHL leader with some gas left in the tank for some of our lesser prospects/picks. This is especially likely if that team is currently cap constrained. This would be a trade similar to the Campbell to Florida trade. You have to be on the lookout for these options.

@BuffNewsVogl

Sabres GM Tim Murray looking for older, character guys for roster. Says this free agent crop has plenty if that.

GM Tim Murray says again he has had talks with agents for Steve Ott and Matt Moulson. Doesn't know if Sabres are 1st on their list or 20th

Sabres GM Tim Murray says he'll be offering one- or two-year deals because he doesn't want prospects to be blocked by aging vets.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

internet law. Once nazism is invoked bans must follow

Godwin's Law! It pretty much always applies...

Godwin's law (or Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies) is an Internet adage asserting that "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1." —​ that is, if an online discussion (regardless of topic or scope) goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare someone or something to Hitler or Nazism.

Godwin's Law! It pretty much always applies...

Godwin's law (or Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies) is an Internet adage asserting that "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1." —​ that is, if an online discussion (regardless of topic or scope) goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare someone or something to Hitler or Nazism.

this is a more refined version of that law.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.