Christian Ehrhoff bought out; Signs with PIT, 1yr $4M

Hoss

The Predators will never spend to the cap and do not have to worry about peaking right at the moment that a Weber recapture penalty might apply.

I was referring to the "doesn't make teams better" portion. The Preds could finsh 26th without Weber just as easily as with him. No, I'm not advocating this, but that's the logic stated.

:lol:

Not familiar with hhim, who is he? I'd be willing to throw ssome money at him to fill in big minutes and provide some knowledge of what it feels like to win. If he's ready for it I say bring him up and oair him on the 3-4 pair

He wears #76 for the Canadiens and until folks in the available leaders topic straightened me out, I wanted TM to sign him to an offer sheet.

I was referring to the "doesn't make teams better" portion. The Preds could finsh 26th without Weber just as easily as with him. No, I'm not advocating this, but that's the logic stated.

Got it. I read his comment as stating that Ehrhoff doesn't make THIS team better, which is inaccurate (of course he does, he just doesn't make them better enough) and unnecessary.

Damn, you've got a good memory.

I'm still awarding myself Internet Points for starting a thread about it. Many, many points. You people think d4rk is the Internet King? Just wait and see.

:lol:

This is awesome and unexpected and I like it.

95% of the team had quit by that point in the season. If Ehrhoff is going to be the scapegoat, whatever, but he was far from the only one to mail it in.

I didn't have a huge problem w/ Ehrhoff having problems with being the only good vet leftvafter the bloodletting - it would take monstrous character to not be bothered by it. But if after the full summer he was going to still be sulking, then good riddance. (Not saying I know he'd be sulking, but TM who has spoken to him and his agent appears to think he would/will be. They don't need 'bad apples' leading these kids.)

Guest Sloth

Not the main reason Murray is having Ehrhoff bought out, but maybe a small part of it is his way of telling the NHL umm...."blank" you! Murray is not happy w/ the almost immediate changes being made to the NHL draft. Have hopes the NHLPA throws it out the window.

Edited by thanes16

Not the main reason Murray is having Ehrhoff bought out, but maybe a small part of it is his way of telling the NHL umm...."blank" you! Murray is not happy w/ the almost immediate changes being made to the NHL draft. Have hopes the NHLPA throws it out the window.

That is an interesting subplot. The NHLPA must love the fact that Ehrhoff will be getting a giant payday from two teams while also remaining in control of his destination. Murray may have bought himself an ally.

Right now I'm just cringing at some of the horrendous UFA contracts we're about to give out.

I think the UFA deals will be short-term overpayments, but not "horrendous" because not long-term.

I don't necessarily think that's fair to Regier. He had operated one way for his whole career here and then was given the green light to do whatever he wanted, having no prior experience doing something like that. It would be like being given a ford focus and told to drive the speed limit for 12 years and follow all the rules, then being given a Ferrari and told ignore all the rules and go as fast as you want. Is it at all surprising that he ended up crashing the car?

No, but he's still accountable.

Ristolenin is a better version of the Hoff

Murray must be pretty darn confident that the Sabres will be able to attract players in the coming UFA period. July 1st just got more interesting for me.

It really begs the question of how many UFA defensemen are going to be in the top 7 in October. Right now I'd guess at least 3.

Myers - UFA #1

Pysyk - UFA #2

Weber - UFA #3

#7: UFA #4

AHL: Risto, Rudy

Gone: McBain, Tallinder, Ehrhoff, Sulzer

So we all love Tim Murray. Great talent evaluator. Does his comment about Ehrhoff not improving teams move the needle for anyone?

Not "teams," as in "Ehrhoff can't help improve any of the teams in the NHL." He said "team" according to Vogl -- as in "Ehrhoff didn't help improve this team."

But I suspect you knew that and posted it as "teams" anyway.

Pernell Karl. Bring him to me.

Not gonna happen, but it would be awesome.

Anyone else think Brooks Orpik is about to get a two year hometown payday?

Yes.

Wasn't it announced yesterday that Murray most likely wasn't going to offer contracts to his RFA's including Ruhwedel, McBain and Conacher?

I think there was some backpedaling regarding Rudy.

I never thought it was fair to hold pre-2013 contracts liable for new salary rules.

Me too. The players got hosed on that one.

95% of the team had quit by that point in the season. If Ehrhoff is going to be the scapegoat, whatever, but he was far from the only one to mail it in.

True, but he was the highest paid and most veteran guy to do so. Pretty poor form considering how rich TP had made him.

Matt Coller had a good point on the "he doesn't want to be here" argument. Who does? Who wants to be on the worst team in the league?

I think there's a certain kind of player out there. Old guys or guys just playing for the love of the game. There are people who really like that mentor role. A contender won't take them but the Sabres will pay them with no expectation of them actually winning, just bringing the right attitude.

These guys exist.

The biggest problem as I see it is we were the lowest scoring team in the league by far last year and over 1/2 (53.3%) of all goals we scored were when The Hoff was on the ice (no one else was even close). He is the only defenseman we had that generated any sort of offense via breakout passes, on the power play, etc. So, I get the need to remove a terrible contract... but we better find a couple of overpriced veterans via trade or perhaps free agency who can move the puck and hopefully teach some of the young kids. Someone like Brian Campbell might fit the bill if Florida wants to unload his contract. Del Zotto of the Preds is on the block. Others?

Veeeerry interesting way of looking @ this. Don't know if it's on the right track, but I hope it did factor into TM's thinking.

Q: do compliance buyout $'s count against player's share of league revenues? If not PA would definitely be on board. If they are, they probably still are on board (because the PA seems to usually side w/ the bigger name/$'s players when these sort of issues come up, even though it takes money out of the average guy's pocket).

TMGM is exactly right. Unfortunately this was exactly the type of contract (back diving into retirement years) teams had to offer a decent UFA under the old CBA but with the rule change under the new CBA they're punished for those deals if they don't buy the player out now. Buffalo has no choice but to buy him out; otherwise, if they do hit several home runs with their many high draft picks they will be burning cap space with a retired player and may lose young talent they were developing when they pass their entry level deal

The biggest problem as I see it is we were the lowest scoring team in the league by far last year and over 1/2 (53.3%) of all goals we scored were when The Hoff was on the ice (no one else was even close). He is the only defenseman we had that generated any sort of offense via breakout passes, on the power play, etc. So, I get the need to remove a terrible contract... but we better find a couple of overpriced veterans via trade or perhaps free agency who can move the puck and hopefully teach some of the young kids. Someone like Brian Campbell might fit the bill if Florida wants to unload his contract. Del Zotto of the Preds is on the block. Others?

They aren't removing a terrible contract w/ this move. The contract is very reasonable over its life and if he stays a Sabre, recapture @ the end due to retiring and skipping last 2 years isn't a huge deal.

This appears to be purely about moving a vet that clearly wants no part of the rebuild.

@BuffNewsVogl

Christian Ehrhoff's agent Rick Curran confirms to The News that his client declined waivers and has filled out buyout paperwork.

Agent Rick Curran tells The News his client was "surprised" by the Sabres' buyout decision, but all other comments will remain with Ehrhoff.

Christian Ehrhoff agent Rick Curran on Sabres buyout: "I was advised late last night and found out this morning that was the plan."

Story on Christian Ehrhoff buyout is updated with process finalized and agent's quotes next to Tim Murray's zingers. http://blogs.buffalo...-ehrhoff.html …

They aren't removing a terrible contract w/ this move. The contract is very reasonable over its life and if he stays a Sabre, recapture @ the end due to retiring and skipping last 2 years isn't a huge deal.

This appears to be purely about moving a vet that clearly wants no part of the rebuild.

Nah, Murray said (and Vogl tweeted) that recapture penalty was a concern, and I believe him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.