Around the NHL: 2014-2015

LGR4GM

deleted the tweet. he's getting raked over the coals from all directions. memes are popping up. they're sadly and brutally hilarious. it's the end of his world as he knows it.

and i feel fiiiiiiine...

its just too good…now he's saying that he has no idea what people are talking about when they say he tweeted about eller demanding a trade, and that there are plenty of 'fake' hockey insider accounts with different spellings that impersonate him... all while people screenshot his tweet and send it to him with the exact spelling of his twitter. what an idiot

Brassard is a real nice player who could do even better in a slightly expanded role. He got a little overpaid, but sometimes you have to.

Their real dumb move was signing Tanner Glass.

If the Sabres started paying third-liners $5M+ per year, you can bet this place would explode.

It's hard for me to call the Brassard deal "terrible." It seems a bit ill-advised -- needlessly risky, maybe. But if the cap continues to swell, the Rangers may be able to abide the hit. He's a fine player who showed his mettle in the playoffs. The team gobbled up a good chunk of UFA years and paid a premium to do it. I would not like the deal if I were a Rangers fan, but I think it has a fair chance of working out for them. The better money's on it blowing up in their face.

What else were the Rangers supposed to do? They let him walk, and Stepan becomes their only top-6 (and arguably only top-9) center. It would be the Regier-era Sabres. Like it or not, $5 mil is second line center money.

Yes, but his are third-line center numbers.

Brassard's a third-liner, unless he's being promoted, and the move landed the Rangers in cap jail, basically. http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/28/rangers-in-curious-cap-situation-after-re-signing-brassard/

The parallel to the Regier-era Sabres isn't lost on me. This is why smart teams don't leave the cupboard bare.

Brassard's a third-liner, unless he's being promoted, and the move landed the Rangers in cap jail, basically. http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/28/rangers-in-curious-cap-situation-after-re-signing-brassard/

The parallel to the Regier-era Sabres isn't lost on me. This is why smart teams don't leave the cupboard bare.

They're in cap jail this year, but if the cap goes up to $75MM next year as speculated, it's not crippling.

When the average salary is $3MM+, $5MM for a 2/3 center isn't crippling. Nash at $7.8MM & 4-~$4MM+ D (when they already have King Henrik behind them) puts much more of a pinch on them.

They're in cap jail this year, but if the cap goes up to $75MM next year as speculated, it's not crippling.

When the average salary is $3MM+, $5MM for a 2/3 center isn't crippling. Nash at $7.8MM & 4-~$4MM+ D (when they already have King Henrik behind them) puts much more of a pinch on them.

He is the 3rd highest paid forward on the NYR. He will give you 15g and 25a per year roughly going forward. His two way game is eh. 5mil for 5 years? That is what Matt Moulson got and I bet Moulson will bring more to the table. Glad the Sabres didn't do it and the Rangers are poorly managed.

He is the 3rd highest paid forward on the NYR. He will give you 15g and 25a per year roughly going forward. His two way game is eh. 5mil for 5 years? That is what Matt Moulson got and I bet Moulson will bring more to the table. Glad the Sabres didn't do it and the Rangers are poorly managed.

Him making $1-$1.5MM/yr more than he should get isn't why they're in questionable cap shape this year. And it definitely doesn't effect next year's situation much, if at all.

Moulson will live up to the early years of his deal better than Broussard (assuming he has a C to play with) but he'll be overpaid when Brassard's deal is looking just about right.

Please show me any post where I have EVER said the Rags ARE properly run.

Edited by Taro T

Him making $1-$1.5MM/yr more than he should get isn't why they're in questionable cap shape this year. And it definitely doesn't effect next year's situation much, if at all.

Moulson will live up to the early years of his deal better than Broussard (assuming he has a C to play with) but he'll be overpaid when Brassard's deal is looking just about right.

Please show me any post where I have EVER said the Rags ARE properly run.

You take things way to personally. I never said you said "The Rags are ran so well that sunshines and sparkles burst from their @$$#$$"

As for the Brassard deal, we here in Buffalo spent years, almost a decade saying things like 1-1.5mil more now will pay off down the road and it won't hurt us. The thing is deals like that do hurt you more often than not when you are already pushing the cap. They sign him for 4milX5 I wouldn't even think about it. But they are 1.3mil below the cap right now. If it does go up to 74mil, which I am skeptical of, the deal will look better. To me this is overpayment but that's my opinion. Also I think the NYR are about to have a quick and sudden dissent within the next 2 seasons.

You take things way to personally. I never said you said "The Rags are ran so well that sunshines and sparkles burst from their @$$#$$"

As for the Brassard deal, we here in Buffalo spent years, almost a decade saying things like 1-1.5mil more now will pay off down the road and it won't hurt us. The thing is deals like that do hurt you more often than not when you are already pushing the cap. They sign him for 4milX5 I wouldn't even think about it. But they are 1.3mil below the cap right now. If it does go up to 74mil, which I am skeptical of, the deal will look better. To me this is overpayment but that's my opinion. Also I think the NYR are about to have a quick and sudden dissent within the next 2 seasons.

To the bolded, pot, meet kettle. :lol:

To the rest, the cap has to go up at least $2.5MM next year just because of the Rogers TV deal and if rumors the cap is only $69MM due to the PA being concerned w/escrow, it will likely be quite a bit more than that.

As we ALL agree, they overpaid; where we disagree is what the consequences will be. At this point in the process, it isn't keeping them from making moves heading into the year - there aren't major moves to be made at this point. It might keep them out of the rental market at the deadline, but that's pretty much the only consequence. Overpaying your #2 center by $1-1.5MM isn't a backbreaker. Having a #3 center be the #2 is the bigger issue.

To the bolded, pot, meet kettle. :lol:

To the rest, the cap has to go up at least $2.5MM next year just because of the Rogers TV deal and if rumors the cap is only $69MM due to the PA being concerned w/escrow, it will likely be quite a bit more than that.

As we ALL agree, they overpaid; where we disagree is what the consequences will be. At this point in the process, it isn't keeping them from making moves heading into the year - there aren't major moves to be made at this point. It might keep them out of the rental market at the deadline, but that's pretty much the only consequence. Overpaying your #2 center by $1-1.5MM isn't a backbreaker. Having a #3 center be the #2 is the bigger issue.

Right they are paying a 3c with some 2c upside 2c money. Either way I feel the NYR are sinking and I am nota sure pricey UFA forwards will help a lot. I know they made the cup finals last year but I have this hunch.

Right they are paying a 3c with some 2c upside 2c money. Either way I feel the NYR are sinking and I am nota sure pricey UFA forwards will help a lot. I know they made the cup finals last year but I have this hunch.

It's also pretty hard to give the Rangers the benefit of the doubt when there is an institutional history of overpaying.

It's also pretty hard to give the Rangers the benefit of the doubt when there is an institutional history of overpaying.

My comments in this thread have been directed to whether this move puts them in "cap jail." It does, but only modestly and only this season. There are other contracts that are far more indicative of institutional issues as mentioned previously.

Overpaying your #2C by $1.5MM in a worst case does not a cap jail make. Having ~1/2 the cap tied up in G, D, D, D, D, F makes for low scoring, boring hockey jail and leads to cap jail.

So 'throwing away' ~$1MM in cap space on this contract doesn't do a whole lot to them and doesn't a cap jail make.

My comments in this thread have been directed to whether this move puts them in "cap jail." It does, but only modestly and only this season. There are other contracts that are far more indicative of institutional issues as mentioned previously.

Overpaying your #2C by $1.5MM in a worst case does not a cap jail make. Having ~1/2 the cap tied up in G, D, D, D, D, F makes for low scoring, boring hockey jail and leads to cap jail.

So 'throwing away' ~$1MM in cap space on this contract doesn't do a whole lot to them and doesn't a cap jail make.

Well I think it leads to a bigger problem. 1 player overpayment is not a problem but if that is endemic to the NYR it does. It also appears it is somewhat of a growing problem in Manhattan.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.