Free Agent Frenzy 2014

Hoss

Because he's almost 31 years old, on the downside of his career, will be significantly diminished as a player by the time we are good and will want him to be, but he will still be taking up 5 mil of cap space, and he doesn't do anything in particular that I want the young guys to emulate.

I would rather pay him 3 years, 21 mil than 5x5.

I'm sure Murray and Company worded the contract where there won't be much of a cap hit on those last couple of years. But its going to be 3 years before the Sabres are solid playoff contenders again anyways. Plus I doubt Murray wants to tie up an extra 2 mill per season on 1 player when he will be looking to add pieces in the years ahead

There are plenty of Hockey Players producing well in their mid 30's..

Edited by ddaryl

So over it. F him. He didn't want to play for us? Enjoy the media in Vancouver, asswipe.

Well, I don't share your bad vibes towards Miller, but I will say that I can see him snapping at some Vancouver media dudes during a losing streak.

I'm sure Murray and Company worded the contract where there won't be much of a cap hit on those last couple of years. But its going to be 3 years before the Sabres are solid playoff contenders again anyways

It doesn't work like that -- the actual cash paid can vary (within limits) from year to year, but the cap hit stays the same for each year of the contract.

It doesn't work like that -- the actual cash paid can vary (within limits) from year to year, but the cap hit stays the same for each year of the contract.

But the hit changes if a player is cut or traded.. right ? I seriously doubt Moulson is here for all 5 of those years

I'm more familiar with NFL style caps and contracts so maybe its different in the NHL

But the hit changes if a player is cut or traded.. right ? I seriously doubt Moulson is here for all 5 of those years

I'm more familiar with NFL style caps and contracts so maybe its different in the NHL

Stay the same. Contract can't change unless bought out.

The hit will not change if he is cut or traded. It's not a contract subject to recapture penalties because it is not front-loaded.

Edited by Eleven

Because he's almost 31 years old, on the downside of his career, will be significantly diminished as a player by the time we are good and will want him to be, but he will still be taking up 5 mil of cap space, and he doesn't do anything in particular that I want the young guys to emulate.

I would rather pay him 3 years, 21 mil than 5x5.

Tough to argue with this other than to say I hope he is productive and a good mentor in years 4 and 5.

@TSNBobMcKenzie

Iginla gets $5.5M, $5.5M and $5M in each of three years with COL.

korab, what do you think about this one? This takes him to age 40.

Edited by Eleven

Nope, cap hit is cap hit. total money/years. What you might be thinking is cap recapture, which involves contracts that end after the player is 35 and are front loaded (more money early). In that case, if the player retires before the end of the contract, the team that gained the benefit (paid more than the cap hit) in penalized.

Plus we still need to get to the floor and that eats a nice chunk of it.

we need to get to the floor this year, not 5 years from now. Pay him, or anyone, whatever you awant in the next 3 years. we may need that space in 5 years.

Other than provide points, solid workman-like effort and great veteran presence?

You know who provided a lot of points? Miro Satan - and he was run out of town as soon as a real leadership group showed up. Points are irrelevant to what the sabres are doing right now, and he won't be producing many points at 36 when points will matter. How do you know he's a great veteran presence?

I'm sure Murray and Company worded the contract where there won't be much of a cap hit on those last couple of years. But its going to be 3 years before the Sabres are solid playoff contenders again anyways. Plus I doubt Murray wants to tie up an extra 2 mill per season on 1 player when he will be looking to add pieces in the years ahead

This isn't how contracts work at all. Same cap hit all 5 years. That why I said give him 7 mil for 3 years. we don't need the money now, but we might when year 4 and 5 roll around.

Tough to argue with this other than to say I hope he is productive and a good mentor in years 4 and 5.

korab, what do you think about this one? This takes him to age 40.

I would have paid him 7 mil per for 3 years. He is exactly what we want our team to be - a big strong tough ass ripper who plays a possession game and won't take ###### from anyone.

we need to get to the floor this year, not 5 years from now. Pay him, or anyone, whatever you awant in the next 3 years. we may need that space in 5 years.

You know who provided a lot of points? Miro Satan - and he was run out of town as soon as a real leadership group showed up. Points are irrelevant to what the sabres are doing right now, and he won't be producing many points at 36 when points will matter. How do you know he's a great veteran presence?

Sorry that the Sabres don't share your enthusiasm for the race to the bottom.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.