Official 2015 NHL Draft Thread

LGR4GM

I have a question...what has Lehner done in the last two seasons that would make any team want to trade for him, let alone in any deal for a 1st round pick/package deal?  An unknown by the name of Hammond came out of nowhere and played lights out for Ottawa last season, while Lehner was barely keeping his head above water.

I'd look on the F/A scrap heap before giving up anything of significance for Lehner.  Same goes for Lack who will be a UFA after this season.

Lehner has done very little in the past two seasons, but looked very promising prior to that. 

He's still young. I'm a believer in buy low and I think this is an opportunity.

But there is no way in hell I'd give up 21 for him.

I'd give up 21 for two goalies: Gibson and Vasilevsky because I consider them elite prospects at the exact age our franchise needs.

After that, it's 51 (not 31) we're talking about.

I have a question...what has Lehner done in the last two seasons that would make any team want to trade for him, let alone in any deal for a 1st round pick/package deal?  An unknown by the name of Hammond came out of nowhere and played lights out for Ottawa last season, while Lehner was barely keeping his head above water.

I'd look on the F/A scrap heap before giving up anything of significance for Lehner.  Same goes for Lack who will be a UFA after this season.

I'm not really expecting GMTM to go get Lerher and an already drafted prospect from Ottawa per se, it just seems to me GMTM would be open to this style of trade with any number of teams.

GMTM on WGR talking combine/draft:

TM (on combine)-"I think the facility is a big improvement over what we've done before in Toronto"

TM-We rate every interview...basically looking for red flags. A kid that's an average interview isn't going to effect his draft status.

TM (on prospect interviews)-I think you should talk more about your failings as a human being more than about the things you do well.

TM (On Eichel's interview)-He was ready, prepared, quick and impressive.

TM-I was never disappointed in the player we were going to get in lottery, more so on the numbers changing during our rebuild.

TM-He's had a tremendous year. I don't know why he wouldn't believe he is the best player in this draft. (Eichel)

TM-We don't plan on talking to Connor McDavid.

TM-It wouldn't be surprising to see a lot of picks being moved in the first and second round.

TM-I can almost guarantee we'll take a goalie this year. If we can get the right guy at 21 or 31 that'll be a discussion.

Edited by Hoss

Hoss mentioned it above, but I want to reiterate and emphasize:

1) Murray said the Sabres will be looking very hard at taking a goalie at 21 or 31.

2) He has Russian goalie Ilya Samsonov ranked right around 21.

Edited by dudacek

GMTM on WGR talking combine/draft:

WGR 550 @WGR550

TM (on combine)-"I think the facility is a big improvement over what we've done before in Toronto"

WGR 550 @WGR550

TM-We rate every interview...basically looking for red flags. A kid that's an average interview isn't going to effect his draft status.

WGR 550 @WGR550

TM (on prospect interviews)-I think you should talk more about your failings as a human being more than about the things you do well.

WGR 550 @WGR550

TM (On Eichel's interview)-He was ready, prepared, quick and impressive.

WGR 550 @WGR550

TM-I was never disappointed in the player we were going to get in lottery, more so on the numbers changing during our rebuild.

WGR 550 @WGR550

TM-He's had a tremendous year. I don't know why he wouldn't believe he is the best player in this draft. (Eichel)

WGR 550 @WGR550

TM-We don't plan on talking to Connor McDavid.

WGR 550 @WGR550

TM-It wouldn't be surprising to see a lot of picks being moved in the first and second round.

WGR 550 @WGR550

TM-I can almost guarantee we'll take a goalie this year. If we can get the right guy at 21 or 31 that'll be a discussion.

That last 1 is very interesting. Grabbing a goalie @ 21 wasn't on my radar.

Be interesting to see if Dudacek's right about the Russian kid. If they do pick a goalie in the 1st, it could up the odds of them going after a stopgap like Anderson this off-season.

Be interesting to see if Dudacek's right about the Russian kid. If they do pick a goalie in the 1st, it could up the odds of them going after a stopgap like Anderson this off-season.

It's in the same interview. He talks about possibly taking a goalie when they ask him what they are looking at with pick 21. Then very late in the interview they tell him that Button talked about Samsonov at that spot, and he says we have him ranked right around the same place.

Some more bits from that interview that I heard.

-Eichel has been telling the teams he interviews with that he will be better than McDavid

-Eichel also told Murray that he shouldn't be upset with picking second, because he (Eichel) is worth it

-Murray sounds interested in RFA's, saying he won't rule them out, and that even though he may tick off a fellow GM by tendering an offer, he doesn't care

-Murray said he is confident in saying Eichel came in most prepared for the Sabre's interview as Eichel knew it would be very important

-Murray plays a ton of Halo, every game all the time, and asks prospects if they play xbox to see where their priorities are (i.e. are they getting sleep/focusing on the game/practice tomorrow or are they playing games all day). He has asked this question for years instead of "do you drink/do drugs"

That interviews a good listen.  One more bit that stood out, referring to the 21 pick: "I'd certainly like to move up."  If we picked 2 and 10-16ish, that would be titty sprinkles.

Yeah, the ZFG quote about the offer sheets is:  "It's within the rules, and if you get a certain GM pissed off at you, well, really, who cares."

I'm starting to really, really like Tim Murray.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

It's in the same interview. He talks about possibly taking a goalie when they ask him what they are looking at with pick 21. Then very late in the interview they tell him that Button talked about Samsonov at that spot, and he says we have him ranked right around the same place.

Do you really think he would tell people if he really planned on taking a goalie at 21? I am 90% certain they don't pick at 21 and 100% they don't take a goalie in round 1.

Do you really think he would tell people if he really planned on taking a goalie at 21? I am 90% certain they don't pick at 21 and 100% they don't take a goalie in round 1.

I think it is entirely possible he might be putting that out as a smokescreen. But he did say it.

That interviews a good listen.  One more bit that stood out, referring to the 21 pick: "I'd certainly like to move up."  If we picked 2 and 10-16ish, that would be titty sprinkles.

Yeah, the ZFG quote about the offer sheets is:  "It's within the rules, and if you get a certain GM pissed off at you, well, really, who cares."

I'm starting to really, really like Tim Murray.

One thing I always like about his interviews is he seems to enjoy them. WGR always seems out of time and about to say goodbye and Murray just goes "I've got nothing else to do, I'm done for the day. What else you got for me?" I've heard it 2-3 times and it's awesome that he's willing to talk more, plus the WGR guys never know what to say to that

One thing I always like about his interviews is he seems to enjoy them. WGR always seems out of time and about to say goodbye and Murray just goes "I've got nothing else to do, I'm done for the day. What else you got for me?" I've heard it 2-3 times and it's awesome that he's willing to talk more, plus the WGR guys never know what to say to that

Murray would talk hockey wherever whenever. He is like some of us on this board. If it is about hockey, let's discuss it at length.

It was a great interview, love his to the point answers. He sometimes pauses to get his thoughts in order but doesn't beat around the bush much. I like the fact he rarely dances around topics like a politician. Some people like a verbose speaker but I prefer this style.

What's funny is he starts out by saying he's tired and talked out then goes on for nearly a half hour.

Here is a player that we haven't brought up much but I keep seeing his name in the early to late 20's.

Denis Guryanov

RW Ladia Togliatti (MHL)

From Future Considerations'

"STRENGTHS: The big Russian winger is a speedy and skilled forward who has potent offensive ability.

A very quick skater who can pick up steam in an instant and break plays open. Guryanov is a poised
puck carrier who has a long reach and great hands to remain elusive to checkers"

Weekness - WEAKNESSES: The birth certificate is his main area of concern. Guryanov
has made no commitment to playing in the NHL and has not expressed his interest,
meaning he is a real risk for the NHL team that selects him. If his name
was John Smith from Toronto, he would likely be considered a top 10 pick by
many teams.

I think Sabres could be a team to risk it on him with their second pick in the first round.

Craig Button was also interviewed yesterday and gave two potential picks for the Sabres at 21.

1) Samsonov - (already discussed on board) thinks he is in the mold of Holtby

2) Guryanov - who I mentioned earlier this week

Button on Guryanov "he is so explosive, so skilled, so dynamic and quite frankly, I don't like to push 18 year olds into the National Hockey League but he might be closer to playing in the league than further away" "He has high end NHL potential"

Under 18 Guryanov highlites:

Doesn't TM have a rep as not a fan of Russians?

Can't see him gambling at 21 on a guy who may not leave the KHL.

He's not leaving next year, but he's essentially a lock to come over. He probably just doesn't want to play in the AHL and/or is honoring a contract.

And Ottawa drafted something like one or two Russians while he was in Ottawa. I'm not sure if it's an actual opinion or just how the picks happened to shake out.