2014 - 2015 Sabres Prospects

Johnny DangerFace

Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you meant, but when I read that one player plays with more fire than another, I think it's a commentary on effort. I've never seen, read, or heard a single thing to indicate Bergeron is anything other than a 100% effort player on the ice.

Gotcha.  I wasn't referring to effort so much as to edge/ferocity.  I think of Toews as playing with a bit more of that than Bergeron -- i.e. Toews is closer to Mike Richards in demeanor, while Bergeron is closer to Pommer.

Toews was ranked third by the Hockey News in his draft year, behind Kessel and Erik Johnson. He was picked third, ahead of Kessel and behind Jordan Staal. He was described as a complete two-way player, very competitive, but without a lot of flair. He was listed at 6'1" 195 pounds.

In his pre-draft season, he had 38 points in 41 games as a college freshman and two assists in six games in the WJC.

The year prior to that, he captained Canada's U18 national team.

He didn't play in the NHL the year after being drafted. Instead, he put up 46 points in 34 games at UND and led Canada to gold with 4/3/7 in six WJC games.

The next year he put up 54 points for the Hawks and has been a steady 70-point producer ever since.

Reinhart was ranked fourth by the Hockey News in his draft year, behind Sam Bennett, Leon Draisaitl and Aaron Ekblad. He was picked second, ahead of Bennett and Draisaitl. He was described as a complete two-way player, very cerebral, but without a lot of flair. He was listed at 6'1" 185 pounds.

In his pre-draft season, he had 105 points in 60 games in the Western Hockey League and two goals and three assists in six games in the WJC. The year prior to that he captained Canada's U18 national team.

He didn't play much in the NHL the year after being drafted. Instead (so far), he put up 57 points in 39 games at Kootenay and led Canada to gold with 5/6/11 in seven WJC games.

The next year...?

I'm not saying Reinhart will be Toews, in fact that is unlikely. Toews is a special player.

But you'd be hard-pressed to find a player whose career Reinhart's has more closely mirrored.

This was a great post, well done. 

I've always been one to think Reinhart = Toews; it's exactly what I expect of him. Especially if he is on the second line where he won't face top d-pairings. If all of the focus goes on our top line of Kane-McEichel-*, Reinhart could find himself thriving on the second lie, provided of course we give him some decent wingers. 

Toews was ranked third by the Hockey News in his draft year, behind Kessel and Erik Johnson. He was picked third, ahead of Kessel and behind Jordan Staal. He was described as a complete two-way player, very competitive, but without a lot of flair. He was listed at 6'1" 195 pounds.

In his pre-draft season, he had 38 points in 41 games as a college freshman and two assists in six games in the WJC.

The year prior to that, he captained Canada's U18 national team.

He didn't play in the NHL the year after being drafted. Instead, he put up 46 points in 34 games at UND and led Canada to gold with 4/3/7 in six WJC games.

The next year he put up 54 points for the Hawks and has been a steady 70-point producer ever since.

Reinhart was ranked fourth by the Hockey News in his draft year, behind Sam Bennett, Leon Draisaitl and Aaron Ekblad. He was picked second, ahead of Bennett and Draisaitl. He was described as a complete two-way player, very cerebral, but without a lot of flair. He was listed at 6'1" 185 pounds.

In his pre-draft season, he had 105 points in 60 games in the Western Hockey League and two goals and three assists in six games in the WJC. The year prior to that he captained Canada's U18 national team.

He didn't play much in the NHL the year after being drafted. Instead (so far), he put up 57 points in 39 games at Kootenay and led Canada to gold with 5/6/11 in seven WJC games.

The next year...?

I'm not saying Reinhart will be Toews, in fact that is unlikely. Toews is a special player.

But you'd be hard-pressed to find a player whose career Reinhart's has more closely mirrored.

Fantastic work.

An addition to Toews' resume is a World Championship in 2007 while never having played an NHL game yet. Sam went with Team Canada last year but only got into exhibition games.

Correction to Toews' record is that he didn't play in U18, it was U17 where he won with Team West.

If Sam can compile the Championships that Toews has we will be very happy.

I don't think there are really that many questions about the kid's future. There were one or two. Otherwise it was just those that believe he should play in Rochester next season, but I don't think those guys think that Reinhart won't be a very good NHL player down the road...

Liger just made it seem like the sentiments about Samson were worse than they really are, because... Well, it's Liger. He likes to scream.

:thumbsup:

Peterson up to 78 saves going into the 5th overtime.

His next save would break the NCAA record. Currently tied.

Record broken. Game still going. Up to 82.

85. Playing in the longest game in college history.

Peterson gets beat in the 5th OT but he gets the save record and plays in the longest game in college history. Wow. 87 saves.

Edited by Tank

I said it when he was drafted, and I'll keep saying it: there's going to be a subset of fans, here and elsewhere, who are unimpressed with Reinhart's game because he does not have the flash of some other players. He won't run anyone through the boards, he won't skate through two defenders with incredible speed, and he won't be unleashing bone-breaking slap shots. Just the way it's going to be.

All I need to know about Sam I saw in the world juniors. If he can do that with his peers he will translate that skill and hockey smarts to the nhl because those will eventually be his peers. If he does that we will be fine with the skillset Sam brings to the Sabres. In my mind he was the mvp on team canada.

Hockey News has ranked the Sabres with the 4th best prospect pool in the NHL. (6th in 2014). 

in 2014 Risto was the 7th ranked prospect and Zadorov was 8th. Reinhart has been added as the #1 prospect in 2015. 

The Jets now have the #1 ranked prospect pool with WJC stars Ehlers, Morrissey and Petan all ranked in top 50. Plus they added Armia (44) and Lemieux (74).

The magazine was published prior to the trade deadline. It would be interesting to see if the Coyotes (currently 12) would pass the Sabres with the addition of Duclair (17 overall)?

No matter how bad things are for Sabres fans it could be worse - the Leafs are about to venture down the "suffering" path and have the 27th ranked prospect pool to draw from. Ouch!

Sabres Future Watch list:

1) Reinhart (1)

2) Grigorenko (38)

3) Fasching (75)

4) McCabe

5) Pysyk

6) Baptiste

7) Bailey

8) Compher

9) Ullmark

10) Carrier

FYI Armia was 44th overall and Lemieux 74th.

Top 10 overall:

1) Reinhart

2) Bennett

3) Draisaitl

4) Ehlers

5) Domi

6) Mantha

7) Nurse

8) Vasilevsky

9) Teravainen

10) Larkin

Rankings determined by a poll of NHL scouts and GMs

Kris Baker must be sleeping after watching the 5 period OT NCAA game last night so I haven't seen him tweet this yet.

JT Compher has both Michigan goals today through the 1st period vs Penn St.

Really picking up the pace recently... That would give him seven goals in four games after having just one in his last 13.

6-5-11 in 8 games against Penn State in his college career. Trying to impress poppa Terry?

Now at 11-11-22 in 30 games this year.

EDIT: Compher finished with a hat trick for the second straight Saturday. State above reflect the hat trick.

Edited by Tank

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.