2014 - 2015 Sabres Prospects

Johnny DangerFace

Corey Pronman ESPN Insider ranked the top thirty draft prospects of the past three years(2013-2015). The Sabres fair well have Eichel #3, Reinhart #8 and Risto #25.

He has Mc David and MacKinnon ahead for Eichel.

Who's ahead of Reinhart? , 

Edited by WildCard

Drouin, who can't even make it into the lineup for TB, Seth Jones, Ekblad and Barkov

And True Blue he disagrees with Eichel being a generational player

That's all well and good...I still think he's a better prospect than MacKinnon. I have no issue with ranking McDavid ahead of him, of course.

Barkov is a joke too 

He hasn't produced a ton of offense yet in the NHL, but I think it's important to keep in mind Pronman is ranking the players are prospects, not on how they have done in the NHL to this point. If Reinhart and Barkov were in the same draft class, I think Barkov gets taken ahead of him every single time.

He hasn't produced a ton of offense yet in the NHL, but I think it's important to keep in mind Pronman is ranking the players are prospects, not on how they have done in the NHL to this point. If Reinhart and Barkov were in the same draft class, I think Barkov gets taken ahead of him every single time.

I didn't like him when he was drafted and I still don't. There were much better people still on the board, I think he was a stretch and has the potential to bust. The only slack I give him right now is that he doesn't have a great supporting cast in Florida. Then again, neither did Monahan, and he made those around him better.

Drouin doesn't have that excuse. I don't watch him enough to know why he hasn't found success, or at least a starting role.

He will be good, I believe Reinhart will have a higher ceiling though

I'm not convinced, too much flash and not enough of everything else; he could play that style of play over in Europe, and it made him a very high draft pick. I just don't think it translates to the NHL. Maybe he's still getting adjusted, but to me he's just a higher rated Armia. 

I fully expect Reihart to be better than Barkov. An athlete's mind is his best weapon

Edited by WildCard

I didn't like him when he was drafted and I still don't. There were much better people still on the board, I think he was a stretch and has the potential to bust. The only slack I give him right now is that he doesn't have a great supporting cast in Florida. Then again, neither did Monahan, and he made those around him better.

Drouin doesn't have that excuse. I don't watch him enough to know why he hasn't found success, or at least a starting role.

Fair enough on Barkov, agree to disagree. With respect to Drouin, I think it's a function of how stacked Tampa is. For Drouin to succeed he needs to get top-6 minutes (Yzerman's words!), but that top-6 is so good they're not going to just set people aside for a rookie. If their roster wasn't so damn good, I think he'd have locked a spot down this season.

He is using birthdays for a comparison. MacKinnon was one week away from being in the 2014 Class and won the Calder Trophy at the same age Eichel is now.

Fair enough on Barkov, agree to disagree. With respect to Drouin, I think it's a function of how stacked Tampa is. For Drouin to succeed he needs to get top-6 minutes (Yzerman's words!), but that top-6 is so good they're not going to just set people aside for a rookie. If their roster wasn't so damn good, I think he'd have locked a spot down this season.

I really hope GMTM has the same problem soon Edited by BRAWNDO

Very good point

I feel the same way, others have him in front of Stamkos and Johnny T in terms of prospects in the last ten years. Crosby and McDavid being the exceptions

A light bulb just went off as to why Pronman placing MacKinnon ahead of Eichel really ticks me off: he had Drouin as the best prospect in that draft class. How can you rank Drouin #1, then put Eichel ahead of him, and MacKinnon ahead of Eichel? Maybe I'm misunderstanding the exercise he's engaging in now, since I thought his approach was to try to do it without the benefit of hindsight.

I'd have to see the article but I'm assuming Pronman means best prospects at the time they were drafted. Barkov and Drouin's struggles to this point in their pro careers wouldn't impact the ranking, right?

They shouldn't, and that's my point. He had Drouin ranked ahead of MacKinnon in their draft year, but now is putting MacKinnon ahead of Drouin as a prospect. Hellllllooooo hindsight.

They shouldn't, and that's my point. He had Drouin ranked ahead of MacKinnon in their draft year, but now is putting MacKinnon ahead of Drouin as a prospect. Hellllllooooo hindsight.

Maybe he realized how stupid that original decision was. But yea, if he had Drouin ahead then he shouldn't reverse it now.

He admits to re ranking prospects as he had Reinhart originally fourth in his draft year. He puts more weight on players with later birthdays in their draft year.

Also he stated MacKinnon is slightly ahead of Eichel. Sorry I missed that the first time I read it

Did anyone else get a chuckle out of the fact that NBCSN has a commercial for the World of Tanks Game during the game today?

He admits to re ranking prospects as he had Reinhart originally fourth in his draft year. He puts more weight on players with later birthdays in their draft year.

Also he stated MacKinnon is slightly ahead of Eichel. Sorry I missed that the first time I read it

Did anyone else get a chuckle out of the fact that NBCSN has a commercial for the World of Tanks Game during the game today?

I was wating for someone to mention the World of Tanks game. HA HA HA

And as much as I was hoping Darcy would move up for MacKinnon, there is no way I'd rather have him than Eichel.

Edited by MBHockey13

Slight sidetrack but the Buffalo News and John Vogl have been taking a look at the Sabres depth by position in a 5 part series.  Since our defenders are really all prospects (except Gorges, Bogo and Weber) I thought I would put it here. It is a good read IMPO.

http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2015/05/12/young-sabre-defensemen-will-grow-together/

"In the fourth installment of The Buffalo News’ five-part series about the Sabres’ depth chart, we’ll take a look at who’s here among defensemen, who’s coming, when they’ll arrive and how they’ve been doing. Rankings were done in consultation with Kris Baker of SabresProspects.com. The depth chart for players already in the pros is based on their status for the 2015-16 season, while the junior- and college-aged players are ranked by potential."

Also we have added a ton of leadership to this team.  Reinhart, McCabe, Bogosian, Weber, Gorges, Gionta, Eichel, Ennis, Zemgus.... there are a lot of leaders as opposed to a few years ago. 

Slight sidetrack but the Buffalo News and John Vogl have been taking a look at the Sabres depth by position in a 5 part series.  Since our defenders are really all prospects (except Gorges, Bogo and Weber) I thought I would put it here. It is a good read IMPO.

http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2015/05/12/young-sabre-defensemen-will-grow-together/

"In the fourth installment of The Buffalo News’ five-part series about the Sabres’ depth chart, we’ll take a look at who’s here among defensemen, who’s coming, when they’ll arrive and how they’ve been doing. Rankings were done in consultation with Kris Baker of SabresProspects.com. The depth chart for players already in the pros is based on their status for the 2015-16 season, while the junior- and college-aged players are ranked by potential."[/size]

Also we have added a ton of leadership to this team.  Reinhart, McCabe, Bogosian, Weber, Gorges, Gionta, Eichel, Ennis, Zemgus.... there are a lot of leaders as opposed to a few years ago.

I'm enjoying Vogl's series.

I'm enjoying Vogl's series.

It didn't take long for readers to bash Mike Weber. Four comments in he is taken to task. I'll never get the hate for MW. He is what he is, a rugged stay at home, shot blocking defenseman. Every team has them, he's actually good at what he does, just don't play him 25 minutes a night on the top pair.

It didn't take long for readers to bash Mike Weber. Four comments in he is taken to task. I'll never get the hate for MW. He is what he is, a rugged stay at home, shot blocking defenseman. Every team has them, he's actually good at what he does, just don't play him 25 minutes a night on the top pair.

I want Mike Weber in the organization, I just don't want him close to 20 min. Or necessarily in the lineup every night.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.