2014-2015 Roster

Stads

Murray reiterated his commitment to Myers to WGR and also finally included Hodgson in his young core.

“Yes I do, I expect (Myers), I expect Marcus, I expect Ennis, I expect Hodgson, I expect them all to be on the team, but that’s the nature of the game with good, young players, other teams want them, so they call and ask and you listen. You listen only because they may do something crazy.” Why is Myers the name brought up the most? Murray said, “Teams call because of the type of player he is. Marcus Foligno’s the same thing. I don’t call anybody on those young guys, so we don’t make the calls on those guys, we’re not looking to trade them, but in saying that when you get a call, you listen and you either say, ‘He’s crazy or he’s willing to over pay’.”

I like these two categories of assets regarding trades:

1. Guys who you make the calls on
  2. Guys who you only take calls on

and you always take the calls, 'cause Garth Snow is still a GM.

I'm just as excited as anybody about the signings. Got some guys I REALLY wanted... BUT if these additions put us at around the 4th-7th worst team in the league I'll be severely disappointed. That wouldn't be enough improvement to kind of get over the miss on McDavid/Eichel. You'd be just far enough to probably miss Barzal, Konecny and Zacha, too, if you're at 6 and up.

Edited by Tankalicious

I'm just as excited as anybody about the signings. Got some guys I REALLY wanted... BUT if these additions put us at around the 4th-7th worst team in the league I'll be severely disappointed. That wouldn't be enough improvement to kind of get over the miss on McDavid/Eichel. You'd be just far enough to probably miss Barzal, Konecny and Zacha, too, if you're at 6 and up.

If we're too far from the basement in the standings we should still be able to sell off enough players at the deadline (Stafford, Steward, Meszaros, etc.) to collapse at the end and remain in the running for a top pick. I imagine all the bottom teams will be having the best fire sales as well though.

If we're too far from the basement in the standings we should still be able to sell off enough players at the deadline (Stafford, Steward, Meszaros, etc.) to collapse at the end and remain in the running for a top pick. I imagine all the bottom teams will be having the best fire sales as well though.

Great point. I imagine we will see the fire sale of the century at the deadline.

What will Gary do?

Further to that, because of oversupply, guys like Stafford, Stewart and Meszaros may not fetch what we might expect.

Edited by dudacek

Good article on this very subject

http://www.diebytheblade.com/2014/7/3/5868071/nhl-free-agency-2014-are-buffalo-sabres-too-good-to-finish-last-tim-murray

Great point. I imagine we will see the fire sale of the century at the deadline.

What will Gary do?

Further to that, because of oversupply, guys like Stafford, Stewart and Meszaros may not fetch what we might expect.

Hopefully Murray starts his fire sale early

What will Gary do?

Meh...we got 3 firsts next year and nobody that isn't a sure fire playoff team will be giving them up. Maybe a NHL ready prospect could be what be target.

I agree that, if it comes down to Kaleta vs Deslauriers, I hope it's the latter... But that fourth line would be brutal/perfect. Brutal because it would be surprising to see 20 goals all season from the three combined... Perfect because... Same thing.

WHAT?!?! I said something you agree with?!?! lol. :P

But, seriously...I think that is an awesome 4th line, for almost any team to be honest.

WHAT?!?! I said something you agree with?!?! lol. :P

But, seriously...I think that is an awesome 4th line, for almost any team to be honest.

It'd be a terrible fourth line for any team trying to win... But we're not there.

You are way over valuing what these picks do for the Sabres. This team can't score and they had Vanek/Moulson on the team up to the deadline. Gorges nor McCormack have any offensive upside - we delete Erhoff and Gionta is a leader not a scorer.

Further - Edmonton, Calgary, Florida, Vancouver all got better. The Islanders get Tavares back and now have a legit goalie. Who does that leave as our competition for last? Carolina maybe, Maybe Toronto.

Look at it this way - the team was in last place at the deadline with Moulson/Vanek, Ott, McCormack and Miller. How much of improvement is Gorges, Moulon, Enroth, Gionta and McCormack? Maybe Reinhart is the wildcard?

I'm just wondering with all the free agent pickups plus the Josh Gorges trade, a healthy lineup at the start of the season plus Ted Nolan hiring his own staff if that pushes us out of the bottom 5 of the league. Because I think we will be a lot better than last year. The defense already looks a lot better than last year on paper. What are your thoughts?

I'm just wondering with all the free agent pickups plus the Josh Gorges trade, a healthy lineup at the start of the season plus Ted Nolan hiring his own staff if that pushes us out of the bottom 5 of the league. Because I think we will be a lot better than last year. The defense already looks a lot better than last year on paper. What are your thoughts?

The trouble. Where do the goals come from?

I'm not sure that this team has added any more goals to last years team.

1) Our goaltending is worse than it was last year.

Both our goalies have potential and one may emerge, but, on paper, this position has gone from top third of the league to bottom third.

2) We lost our best defenceman.

Gorges and Meszaros for McBain and Tallinder certainly increases our depth. But that won't matter unless Myers can fill Ehrhoff's role and one or more of the kids can fill in as competent second-pairing guys behind Myers.

3) We still can't score

This was one of the worst offences of all-time and Moulson was there most of last year, remember? Reinhart and Gionta could combine for 30 additional goals and we'd still be at the bottom of the league.

Increased depth, a full year from Teddy and some growth from the kids might mean an improvement of 10 or 15 points. Which would still put us in the basement.

The tank is very much alive.

Edited by dudacek

Not sure on the defense, for all the bad rep erhoff got, he put up some good numbers while playing against the top guys off the opposition.

I can see him explode this year in pittsburgh. Erhoff going to cash in next summer. <--- would be funny if he signs again with us next summer wich he is allowed :P

Gorges might just be the partner myers need, but the rest are still question marks for me.

Meszaros, no way to know if he'll rebound, and the kids still need to prove themselves.

Edited by Heimdall

3s7W9F5.jpg

:P :P :P

Don't ever correct me again. When I get something wrong, you just take it like a man.

I really hope we don't have to spend all year racing to the bottom with Edmonton and Calgary again. One of those teams should be ready to stop sucking.

Edited by Robviously

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.