2014 Buffalo Sabres First Selection Discussion

IKnowPhysics

Who will be the Buffalo Sabres first selection in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the Buffalo Sabres first selection in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft?

• Sam Bennett - Kingston Frontenacs (OHL) Center; 6’ 0.25”, 178 lbs. 2013-14: 57 games, 36-55-91, 118 PIM
    • Aaron Ekblad - Barrie Colts (OHL) Defenseman; 6’ 3.5”, 216 lbs. 2013-14: 58 games, 23-30-53, 91 PIM
    • Sam Reinhart - Kootenay Ice (WHL) Center; 6’ 0.75”, 185 lbs. 2013-14: 60 games, 36-69-105, 11 PIM
    • Leon Draisaitl - Prince Albert Raiders (WHL) Center; 6’ 1.5”, 204 lbs. 2013-14: 64 games, 38-67-105, 24 PIM
    • Michael Dal Colle - Oshawa Generals (OHL) Left Wing; 6’ 1.5”, 182 lbs. 2013-14: 67 games, 39-56-95, 34 PIM
    • Other
  2. 2. Bonus question: Who will be the first overall selection (currently held by FLA) in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft?

• Sam Bennett - Kingston Frontenacs (OHL) Center; 6’ 0.25”, 178 lbs. 2013-14: 57 games, 36-55-91, 118 PIM
    • Aaron Ekblad - Barrie Colts (OHL) Defenseman; 6’ 3.5”, 216 lbs. 2013-14: 58 games, 23-30-53, 91 PIM
    • Sam Reinhart - Kootenay Ice (WHL) Center; 6’ 0.75”, 185 lbs. 2013-14: 60 games, 36-69-105, 11 PIM
    • Leon Draisaitl - Prince Albert Raiders (WHL) Center; 6’ 1.5”, 204 lbs. 2013-14: 64 games, 38-67-105, 24 PIM
    • Michael Dal Colle - Oshawa Generals (OHL) Left Wing; 6’ 1.5”, 182 lbs. 2013-14: 67 games, 39-56-95, 34 PIM
    • Other

It is rather hypocritical of the CHL to grant these kids exceptional status as 15 year olds and then refuse to allow the NHL teams to do the same for those kids ready to move up into the pros early, innit?

No. It's kind of like how JV players can play varsity early, but high school players can't play college early.

It is rather hypocritical of the CHL to grant these kids exceptional status as 15 year olds and then refuse to allow the NHL teams to do the same for those kids ready to move up into the pros early, innit?

To be fair, it is only the OHL. The WHL and Q have not gone this route yet.

There's always a line.

It's not like the CHL "isn't allowing" players to play in the AHL early. It's a two-way agreement.

I realize it is a two way agreement. I also realize it only benefits the CHL and thus I can say with confidence that the CHL was the one that bargained this point, while allowing select 15 yr olds to play as underagers in their league, ie. hypocrisy.

I will be curious to see how it shakes out when some 18 yr old future millionaire lawyers up and fights for his right to work. He is an adult after all.

To be fair, it is only the OHL. The WHL and Q have not gone this route yet.

OK, only the OHL is the hypocrite here. :P

Obviously the fact that it's just the OHL nullifies anything, but the NHL got a benefit from it somewhere. Otherwise they'd have no reason to agree to it.

I have no idea what the 1st phrase in your reply is saying.

What could the benefit to the NHL be? Everything I've read about that agreement is that it is in place to protect the quality of game for the business of the CHL. I suppose the NHL could believe that healthy CHL team businesses are better for player development, but that isn't concrete by any means.

I have no idea what the 1st phrase in your reply is saying.

What could the benefit to the NHL be? Everything I've read about that agreement is that it is in place to protect the quality of game for the business of the CHL. I suppose the NHL could believe that healthy CHL team businesses are better for player development, but that isn't concrete by any means.

When negotiations happen there's a give and take. The NHL likely got something in return.

I'll take Bennett. We need players with and edge and from what I've seen, his edge is much greater than Reinhart's. No more passive players.

This jump has been made in a lot of people's minds and it's wrong. Reinhart is not passive. Not even in the slightest.

This jump has been made in a lot of people's minds and it's wrong. Reinhart is not passive. Not even in the slightest.

PIM last year. Reinhart 11, Bennett 118. Not saying that's everything, but Bennett will talk it and walk it.

PIM last year. Reinhart 11, Bennett 118. Not saying that's everything, but Bennett will talk it and walk it.

Ryan O`Rielly had what 2 PIM this season? is he passive? The Sabres need high end offensive talent and at the moment the only prospect that has shown even a glimpse of it is Grigerinko. Think on that for a minute. the greatest offensive prospect we have is a guy that people are having serious doubts about him ever cracking the top 6. Unless you project Bennett producing on the same level as Reinhart I just don't see how you can pass on Reinhart if he is available.

If his government can send him to war at 18 he should be able to drink. Just sayin.

You can pretty much do anything legally as soon as you hit 18 (excluding financial things). The only difference I can think of from 18-21 is drinking

Edited by WildCard

No. It's kind of like how JV players can play varsity early, but high school players can't play college early.

Only, here, the JV (CHL) players can play in college (NHL), but not on the varsity team (AHL). Not to mention that the JV team and Varsity team in this analogy are different organizations, completely, unlike actual JV/Varisty teams.

There is a de facto "exceptional status" in the CHL-NHL relationship; Tyler Myers earned it. They just won't let you take one of their top players and stick him in the minors. This only affects the handful of young players who are too good for the CHL, but not good enough for the NHL.

As for the 18-21 year old question, most posters here older than that would probably look back on themselves in that age range and say that they really weren't mature enough to truly be "adults".

Edited by carpandean

Only, here, the JV (CHL) players can play in college (NHL), but not on the varsity team (AHL). Not to mention that the JV team and Varsity team in this analogy are different organizations, completely, unlike actual JV/Varisty teams.

There is a de facto "exceptional status" in the CHL-NHL relationship; Tyler Myers earned it. They just won't let you take one of their top players and stick him in the minors. This only affects the handful of young players who are too good for the CHL, but not good enough for the NHL.

As for the 18-21 year old question, most posters here older than that would probably look back on themselves in that age range and say that they really weren't mature enough to truly be "adults".

There's another group that the rule has an impact on that hasn't been mentioned yet, the NHLPA. This rule winds up protecting the jobs of those fringe players who otherwise would get bumped by these CHL guys.

Ryan O`Rielly had what 2 PIM this season? is he passive? The Sabres need high end offensive talent and at the moment the only prospect that has shown even a glimpse of it is Grigerinko. Think on that for a minute. the greatest offensive prospect we have is a guy that people are having serious doubts about him ever cracking the top 6. Unless you project Bennett producing on the same level as Reinhart I just don't see how you can pass on Reinhart if he is available.

They produced at the same level this past year generally speaking. Reinhart is very good and I think Bennett is very good. I think Bennett's style of game will transfer better to the NHL and specifically the playoffs more so than Reinhart. That is not saying Reinhart will not be good and I would be thrilled to see him as a Sabre but Bennett has a drive I just don't always see in Reinhart. Bennett has a better shot. Reinhart passes better. It almost is a toss up and I again I'll be happy with either but I prefer Bennett.

Edited by LGR4GM

I would like to start seeing more out of dal colle. Generals are down 2 0 in the series and he's been largely invisible. If we get the isles pick and he's still on the board I'm sure we take him but I haven't been overly impressed with him over the past 4 or 5 games now.

Generals go down 3-0 in the series but Dal Colle has a nice night scoring twice and easily could have had another one or two. The Gens had their backs against the wall and although the goaltending let them down, Dal Colle rose to the occassion and was the best player on either team last night.

Generals go down 3-0 in the series but Dal Colle has a nice night scoring twice and easily could have had another one or two. The Gens had their backs against the wall and although the goaltending let them down, Dal Colle rose to the occassion and was the best player on either team last night.

Hasn't McDavid been a total clunker in the playoffs?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.