Lindy gets Stars to 1st playoffs in 6 years

nfreeman

Well, I'm not buying into the idea that the team is better under Ruff than the previous coach. A 0.3 point increase over the average of the past 3 full seasons isn't statistically significant.

The qualifying points for playoff berth was lower this season. In checking the standings at ESPN, I believe In 2010, it was 95, 2011, 97, and in 2012 95. If the competition hadn't softened, the Stars may very well have been cleaning out their lockers on Monday too.

One area the Stars did shine - they won every game against teams where Ryan Miller was in the crease. I was starting to wonder if Ruff knows Miller so well he knows how to coach his offense to beat him?

It's also important to consider what happened down the stretch -- when the playoffs were there to be had, or missed.

Dallas won 8 out of its last 13 this year.

In 2011-12, they lost 9 out of their last 12, including their last 5 in a row.

In 2010-11, they lost 9 out of their last 14, including losing 6 in a row before winning 4 of their last 5 (when it was too late).

Well, I'm not buying into the idea that the team is better under Ruff than the previous coach. A 0.3 point increase over the average of the past 3 full seasons isn't statistically significant.

Making the playoffs isn't statistically significant?

hmmmmmm?

The club got the most out of its youngsters

Valeri Nichushkin 1995-03-04 18 R 79 14 20 34 8 Jamie Oleksiak 1992-12-21 20 D 7 0 0 0 2 Tyler Seguin 1992-01-31 21 C 80 37 47 84 18 Jack Campbell 1992-01-09 21 G 1 0 0 0 0 Patrik Nemeth 1992-02-08 21 D 8 0 0 0 6 Alex Chiasson 1990-10-01 22 R 79 13 22 35 38 Cody Eakin 1991-05-24 22 C 81 16 19 35 36 Brenden Dillon 1990-11-13 22 D 80 6 11 17 86 Kevin Connauton 1990-02-23 23 D 36 1 7 8 16 Antoine Roussel 1989-11-21 23 L 81 14 15 29 209

Making the playoffs isn't statistically significant?

hmmmmmm?

The club got the most out of its youngsters

Valeri Nichushkin 1995-03-04 18 R 79 14 20 34 8 Jamie Oleksiak 1992-12-21 20 D 7 0 0 0 2 Tyler Seguin 1992-01-31 21 C 80 37 47 84 18 Jack Campbell 1992-01-09 21 G 1 0 0 0 0 Patrik Nemeth 1992-02-08 21 D 8 0 0 0 6 Alex Chiasson 1990-10-01 22 R 79 13 22 35 38 Cody Eakin 1991-05-24 22 C 81 16 19 35 36 Brenden Dillon 1990-11-13 22 D 80 6 11 17 86 Kevin Connauton 1990-02-23 23 D 36 1 7 8 16 Antoine Roussel 1989-11-21 23 L 81 14 15 29 209

I can't help but laugh at Campbell's stat line... especially after seeing how he did in that one game. And I don't mean this as a shot at you, it's just funny.

I can't help but laugh at Campbell's stat line... especially after seeing how he did in that one game. And I don't mean this as a shot at you, it's just funny.

I made a mess of that....Im not sure how to format a table ....I just wanted to show that Stars got a lot of points from their 23 and under players.

I made a mess of that....Im not sure how to format a table ....I just wanted to show that Stars got a lot of points from their 23 and under players.

I'm a bit shocked to hear that Chiasson is still only 23. It feels like it has been about 5 years since he was playing in the NCAAs.

Almost all of the criticisms have been proven illegitimate.

I agree. I like Lindy and was upset that he was fired. He is a better coach than TN in my humble opinion. I really hope TN succeeds. In part, that will depend on whom he will hire as assistants.

Just my two cents.

As a side note, Rolston never should have fired Patrick. I have a feeling Patrick made him feel insecure about his job. Patrick would have been a better coach than Rolston - but, of course, that is not saying much.

• 2 weeks later...

By the way, Lindy's got this one tied up at 2-2, and the Ducks have a hurt Getzlaf and a shaky goalie.

Given that "Lindy's got this one tied up", then it sounds like you agree Lindy was at major fault here. Afterall, you can't get all the credit if you aren't willing to take the blame. :)

Given that "Lindy's got this one tied up", then it sounds like you agree Lindy was at major fault here. Afterall, you can't get all the credit if you aren't willing to take the blame. :)

Certainly you're not saying that Lindy gets all the credit for the Sabres sucking so bad. ;)

As I stated upthread, the point of this thread was emphatically NOT to restart the "he shouldn't have been canned" argument. I think everyone's pretty much stated their views on that one.

I was simply pointing out that he's doing pretty well so far with the Stars -- a team that hadn't been to the playoffs in six years before he got there -- and they have a real shot at upsetting Anaheim.

8 teams make the playoffs.....6 don't.

Celebrating Lindy for being the 8th team in the West is like bragging about having a 92 IQ.

I love Lindy and I love Millsie though. They hedged my Rangers loss tonight.....

And yet you're strangely proud...

8 teams make the playoffs.....6 don't.

Celebrating Lindy for being the 8th team in the West is like bragging about having a 92 IQ.

I love Lindy and I love Millsie though. They hedged my Rangers loss tonight.....

Making the playoffs in the West this year actually is pretty impressive. If the Stars were in the East, then I think you'd have a point.

Except the stars have tons of young talent, and are on the upswing. If the stars were coached by Torts, you'd be talking about how he's got 'em right where he wants 'em.

I heard Pope Francis was seriously tempted to canonize 3 people today......he considers the throngs of worshipers for 1 Stanley Cup loss in 2 decades a modern day miracle. Darcy keeping his job until this year was miracle #2....and as far as I know he might actually be dead. While there was great deliberation if they should be considered one entity as the father and the resurrected son......the Pontiff decided to wait on this one....

I heard Pope Francis was seriously tempted to canonize 3 people today......he considers the throngs of worshipers for 1 Stanley Cup loss in 2 decades a modern day miracle. Darcy keeping his job until this year was miracle #2....and as far as I know he might actually be dead. While there was great deliberation if they should be considered one entity as the father and the resurrected son......the Pontiff decided to wait on this one....

You're not that far off the mark on this one ...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/unprecedented-canonization-brings-holiday-atmosphere-to-rome-1.2622959

Clinging to Celebrating Mediocrity

Brought Another Unbelievable Eighthplace Run

PA.....you get NIKE and JOFA......

Dallas is in the playoffs a year early.

While it is more success than anyone expected, it is a measurable success attributable to natural causes.

Jim Nill has had a pretty impressive 12 months so far. Disagree?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.