First Round Playoff Thread

Eleven

Do you think any team is going to do that? I know it happened with Ehroff, but how often does that happen?

It happens semi-often, I believe. But teams never get value out of it. Blues won't do it because they'd lose more than they'd gain in the trade.

It happens semi-often, I believe. But teams never get value out of it. Blues won't do it because they'd lose more than they'd gain in the trade.

Exactly. Why would they trade millers rights for a second when by doing that they would have to give the sabres their first?

Exactly. Why would they trade millers rights for a second when by doing that they would have to give the sabres their first?

Pretty much. The decision would be trading a first round pick for Minnesota's 2nd, our third and whatever they get, though. So if they can get another second maybe it's worth it. But I don't see Miller's rights warranting more than a 3rd or 4th.

This series is a strong argument for the Tank strategy.

St Louis tried to build around depth. They lost to the team built around a 1st overall pick and a 3rd overall pick.

Let's hope the Sabres hit some home runs with their high picks.

The thing with that strategy is that getting out of the first round is often the hardest part.

You usually need the attrition from the first series to apply depth as an advantage in the 2nd series.

St. Louis really shot themselves in the foot with the last 10 games of the season.

They could have been playing Dallas going into round 2 with hardly a scratch.

Absolutely. Sure he's got a pretty solid team to work with but no one wins with talent alone.

And no one wins without it. Quenneville, lest we forget, is a guy who was twice fired for failing to advance deep in the playoffs with teams that were ill-equipped to advance.

I'll quote this again, for those who weren't with us in 2011:

"Left wing Frank Maholvlich, an eighteen-season veteran of the NHL, was one of Blake's greatest admirers, even though he never played for him. He felt Blake was responsible for fifty percent of what was needed to win.

"'I've always felt that a good coach is the one who wins,' Blake agreed. 'But fifty percent? If that had been the case with me, my teams would have won a lot more games.'"

--Red Fisher, "Toe," reprinted in The Greatest Hockey Stories Ever Told at 127 (B. Urstadt, ed.) (Lyons, 2006).

Maybe if Saint Lou had kept Quenneville around, they would have won this series.

Edited by Eleven

Boooooo. All the fun is being taken out of these playoffs now haha. Dallas shut down in their upset attempt. St. Louis bounced weakly after a good first five games. Detroit looking pathetic after winning game one. A Pittsburgh collapse in the next two games would help get the fun back in.

(Not saying the games haven't been amazing)

Anaheim just... I mean with like 2 mins left... and the... wow.

How was that not awesome? And Pelly just hung out there so patiently. My only wish is that it were three rounds later so Dallas fans could have a "richer" game 6 OT loss experience.

How the hell do you allow two empty net goals? I don't think I ever saw that before.

Sure you have. The Sabres have won games that way.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.