Advice on skating and playing hockey

PASabreFan

Today was the last day of skating here. A little early, but what are you gonna do? I'll hit up some other rinks the next month or so, then do a few over the summer in Jamestown and Buffalo.

Year 2 didn't see quite the same dramatic change as Year 1. I know my stride improved — when I started the season, I had a definite weakness on my left side. I could tell by the sound of the toe push. I fixed it by doing quite a few laps striding with just my left skate.

The focus of my season turned into crossovers. I couldn't do them at all to start, and ended up pretty good at them, not only in the circle but turning up ice. Because of the counterclockwise skating pattern we follow, I have a definite weakness crossing over left to right. I noticed today when we reversed direction that even the best skaters couldn't cross over in that direction.

Skating backwards... meh. I didn't spend a lot of time on it. It's not fun and not a point of emphasis just yet. Hockey stops... nowhere, really. One foot snow plow I am solidly there. I just decided not to stress out about it. Too frustrating.

Hope everyone's skating and hockey seasons went well. Oh yeah, as for hockey I still have not taken the plunge. The time was never right to get into a class or league — and I didn't want to spend the money on equipment. I'll get there. And that's when I think my skating will hit the next level. Not sure that doing the public skates has much more to offer in terms of improvement.

I would recommend investing in a pair of roller hockey skates. The principle is the same,.though inline is a bit more forgiving. Your behind the curve if you subscribe to the 10k reps theory. Skating in the summer in lieu of a.wlk or jog will help you catch up. If you really want to accelerate your curve, find a parking garage Skate up with long sustained strides. Come back down with sweeping edge turns. It is also a great workout.

I would recommend investing in a pair of roller hockey skates. The principle is the same,.though inline is a bit more forgiving. Your behind the curve if you subscribe to the 10k reps theory. Skating in the summer in lieu of a.wlk or jog will help you catch up. If you really want to accelerate your curve, find a parking garage Skate up with long sustained strides. Come back down with sweeping edge turns. It is also a great workout.

Good idea. And really (really) short shorts?

Skate naked, shorts bind.

Skating requires development of your inner and outter thigh muscles, concentrate on keeping your knes flexed and your chest over your thighs not your knees If you posture is correct you will feel it in your thighs. That's a good thing. ;)

Skate naked, shorts bind.

Skating requires development of your inner and outter thigh muscles, concentrate on keeping your knes flexed and your chest over your thighs not your knees If you posture is correct you will feel it in your thighs. That's a good thing. ;)

This results in what we in the business refer to as Super Quads. Every day is leg day.

This topic seems to have been going on for sometime so I apologize for any repeats. I started hockey late in life of for a Canadian (15 years old) so I had a lot of catching up to do.

What helped me was the following:

Dry land training, working your legs. Doing the same leg motions as skating, over and over again. Fast for strength and slow for balance.

The inline roller blading is greatt aas well.

My favourite and most helpful training was actually slalom skiing. Switching front and back legs. You mention the crossover as still a challenge. The crossover is a matter of 1) confidence in your 2) balance. You need to have the confidence that your feet are on rails. Skiing helped me with that. I'm 40 now and. To this day, it helps me.

OH! And play as much "shinny" on ponds and rinks as you can. Just concentrate on enjoying the skate. Have a offseason.

This topic seems to have been going on for sometime so I apologize for any repeats. I started hockey late in life of for a Canadian (15 years old) so I had a lot of catching up to do. What helped me was the following: Dry land training, working your legs. Doing the same leg motions as skating, over and over again. Fast for strength and slow for balance. The inline roller blading is greatt aas well. My favourite and most helpful training was actually slalom skiing. Switching front and back legs. You mention the crossover as still a challenge. The crossover is a matter of 1) confidence in your 2) balance. You need to have the confidence that your feet are on rails. Skiing helped me with that. I'm 40 now and. To this day, it helps me. OH! And play as much "shinny" on ponds and rinks as you can. Just concentrate on enjoying the skate. Have a offseason.

Good suggestions! Thanks. 

I feel stable when I am walking around. Not as stable as wearing shoes but I am not turning my ankles or anything. I think I could run a few feet in them but I have never tried.

The Supreme 150 is not a terrible boot for recreational skating but it may in hindsight not be stiff enough for you. With respect to comfort the boot should not hurt, especially at this point. You mention pain that goes away as you skate. Where is this pain?

The Supreme 150 is not a terrible boot for recreational skating but it may in hindsight not be stiff enough for you. With respect to comfort the boot should not hurt, especially at this point. You mention pain that goes away as you skate. Where is this pain?

Mostly in my ankles (on the outside) and some in the balls of my feet.

Mostly in my ankles (on the outside) and some in the balls of my feet.

It sounds to me like the fit of the boot is too loose/weak. The Supreme doesn't wrap as tight or as high as the Bauer Vapor or Reebok Ribcor. You may need a Vapor boot which will give you a tighter fit.

Does your heel move around at all/lift up? Does your foot slop around in the boot?

It sounds to me like the fit of the boot is too loose/weak. The Supreme doesn't wrap as tight or as high as the Bauer Vapor or Reebok Ribcor. You may need a Vapor boot which will give you a tighter fit.

Does your heel move around at all/lift up? Does your foot slop around in the boot?

I would not say my foot slops around.  There is a little movement in the foot but my heel does not move up and down. Mostly I feel that my ankles are free to bend.

I would not say my foot slops around.  There is a little movement in the foot but my heel does not move up and down. Mostly I feel that my ankles are free to bend.

I think what you're dealing with is a combination of two things: skates that don't have a stiff enough upper, and ankle strength that isn't fully there yet. I would be concerned that any quick stops and starts would cause you to break an ankle. Those 150s are what I would label as a "recreational" skate, so think going to the rink with the family to skate around. I wouldn't play hockey in them. 

You're my size, so you should be in something like a Supreme 160 or 170. I'm not sure there's anything else I can recommend. 

SO anyone got a good exercise to strengthen ankles? Several year ago I bought skates (and returned them) since I couldn't walk around the house without my ankles flopping around. I don't recall what they were (it might even be *way* and I mean *way* upthread), but I'm guessing they weren't the most supportive boots. I'd like something I can work on before I try skating again.

SO anyone got a good exercise to strengthen ankles? Several year ago I bought skates (and returned them) since I couldn't walk around the house without my ankles flopping around. I don't recall what they were (it might even be *way* and I mean *way* upthread), but I'm guessing they weren't the most supportive boots. I'd like something I can work on before I try skating again.

I'll be honest, skating is what gave me good ankle strength. My ankles were garbage before I started playing hockey. It's such a weird motion and way to use your ankles. Calf Raises are probably the only thing I can recommend besides just skating a lot. 

Edited by d4rksabre

I think what you're dealing with is a combination of two things: skates that don't have a stiff enough upper, and ankle strength that isn't fully there yet. I would be concerned that any quick stops and starts would cause you to break an ankle. Those 150s are what I would label as a "recreational" skate, so think going to the rink with the family to skate around. I wouldn't play hockey in them. 

You're my size, so you should be in something like a Supreme 160 or 170. I'm not sure there's anything else I can recommend. 

Thanks for your help. I wish you were there when I bought these things!

I agree with D4rk that there isn't a lot that helps with the unique motion of skating.  I did find that calf raises and or stair climbs help with the legs overall.  On stairs focus on stepping on the stairs with the ball of your foot and do so in an exaggerated fashion.  

So the parent perspective on choosing a program for your child..

This past week we decided we would venture out of house hockey into travel hockey just to see how it went.  We had decided on either of two organizations in Rochester.

1. Monroe County Youth Hockey - we've been affiliated with them for 4 years at the house level.

2. Rochester Red Wings Hockey - run by Jay Kirk and Jason Bonsignore.  They are loosely affiliated with the Rochester Grizzlies which are one of those Elite organizations.

For MCYH it would be a PeeWee Mixed AA team (my son is 11).

For RRWH it would be a PeeWee Minor AA team.

It was good during tryouts to see him hold his own against a mix of AA and AAA players at the RRWH location.  Especially having only played house hockey.

Now the agonizing part comes.. choosing where to go.  The amount of feedback out there is incredible but trusting all of it is impossible.  Whether it's someone telling me that Jay Kirk and Jason Bonsignore are crooks and horrible people or people telling me that you don't want any part of a Mixed team as its just glorified house hockey.  It's insane.

The politics and rumor mills are ridiculous.  It's literally been one of the more stressful weeks of my life and it had NOTHING to do with my kid actually trying out.  I didn't care if he made any team.  The pressure to sign your letter of intent and "pledge allegiance" to some hockey team at that level is crazy.  It's not just these organizations, that's the state of the sport, but some are on the hard sell more than others.

The worst part is that he'll be split from good friends of his no matter what he chooses.  That's a facet of life I suppose but it will be strange for him.

Oh well.. back to the fun.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.