James Neal goal scorer, head hunter, diver?

drnkirishone

Hello, Around the NHL thread...

I have heard of the thread. It might even be the one thread i still read when the 3 bajillon sabres threads are completely unreadable. However the only thing I have seen about Mr Neal there is discussion on how the length of suspensions are BS. IMO this deserved it's own thread because it will simply get buried in the inane conversations that seem to clutter up that thread.

A former NHL ref is calling out the league, supplemental discipline and the NHL rulebook. That is new thread worthy.

I have heard of the thread. It might even be the one thread i still read when the 3 bajillon sabres threads are completely unreadable. However the only thing I have seen about Mr Neal there is discussion on how the length of suspensions are BS. IMO this deserved it's own thread because it will simply get buried in the inane conversations that seem to clutter up that thread.

A former NHL ref is calling out the league, supplemental discipline and the NHL rulebook. That is new thread worthy.

You haven't heard anything about it on there because nobody brought it up. Bring it up.

I am more interested in the diving claim (I honestly did not know Neal was noted for it). and the comment about the nhl rulebook being a house of cards built on sand.....

Boston, Pittsburgh, Toronto. et al.

Most Favored Team status. Can't suspend their star players.

credit to Eleven for this term, no?

I am more interested in the diving claim (I honestly did not know Neal was noted for it). and the comment about the nhl rulebook being a house of cards built on sand.....

The diving doesn't bother me because I've seen just about every player do it at some point. I saw Ryan Callahan, Mr. leader of men and grit, flopping around like a fish for three straight playoff series. It's done because it works. As far as the rulebook goes, we've known that at least since '99.

The diving doesn't bother me because I've seen just about every player do it at some point. I saw Ryan Callahan, Mr. leader of men and grit, flopping around like a fish for three straight playoff series. It's done because it works. As far as the rulebook goes, we've known that at least since '99.

You scratch the scab and it still bleeds. :(

I agree as a sabres fan. it just seems more real and sincere hearing it from someone that was paid to issue judgement about that house of cards

If it means anything (and it probably doesn't) I always thought the Around the NHL thread was about transactions, injuries, updates, cool videos/pictures and other pertinent information that doesn't usually generate much discussion. Reason being if we brought up 3 or 4 topics like this that might generate discussion it would make for a really discombobulated thread.

I'm pretty sure that last night, Marchand's high sticking penalty on Subban was a "dive". It looked to me like P.K. grabbed Marchand's stick and lifted it right into his own face. I really hate that crap and wish refs would call it more often.

At first I thought the people moaning about how unfair the NHL was to the Sabres was just grumpy folk and conspiracy theorists. Then in 2011 I watched Milan Lucic maliciously destroy our Goaltender and the league did absolutely nothing. There is no doubt that certain teams are allowed to play outside the rules while other teams and specifically players are held to a different standard. Countless 3-5 game suspensions this season have been for far more devious hits than what John Scott was suspended 7 games for. All in all Brendan Shenanigan and company have none of my respect and I think the Department of Player Safety is a hypocritical joke full of biased hacks.

Great article. He is right about many things, especially about how his shining the light on the hypocrisy of the NHL will not endear him to the league office.

Certainly carries more street cred than if a sports journalist wrote it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.