Was Lindy Ruff too nice?

darksabre

A Sabres team gets bag skated for the first time in over a decade. When it matters the least they're being pushed the hardest.

Did Lindy worry too much about his players hating him? Was he soft? Did his teams end up being soft as a result?

Are you kidding me?

I thought Lindy put them through some pretty rough stuff regularly?

If he didn't, then HELL YEAH he was too nice! He coached the laziest team in Sabres history, those guys should've been puking their guts out on a regular basis.

Edited by Kristian

I could have sworn there were numerous accusations thrown around that Ruff was too hard on his players and it ruined them.

A lot of people said that and I never bought it. That's why I'm proposing the counter. He was too nice, and when he tried to be tough his players couldn't handle/weren't expecting it.

After 5+ years of reading how he was too hard on his players...

...Well, you can imagine my response.

The Dallas players seem to like him all right.

And was it DeLuca who bet me (gentlemen's bet) that Dallas wouldn't make the playoffs this year? Someone else? It's getting close.

A Sabres team gets bag skated for the first time in over a decade. When it matters the least they're being pushed the hardest.

Did Lindy worry too much about his players hating him? Was he soft? Did his teams end up being soft as a result?

Okay, I'm clearly in the minority here... wtf is a bag skate?

After 5+ years of reading how he was too hard on his players...

...Well, you can imagine my response.

The Dallas players seem to like him all right.

And was it DeLuca who bet me (gentlemen's bet) that Dallas wouldn't make the playoffs this year? Someone else? It's getting close.

Lindy Ruff has done a great job in Dallas but my favorite part about his success is the motion by Sabres fans that he could never coach young players. "Young players come to die in Buffalo" i always heard. He's doing a pretty solid job with Valeri Nichushkin and Tyler Seguin.

punitive skating drill. no pucks.

Ahh, okay... thanks! Hard to believe in all Ruff's time there he never did one.

And thanks to you as well!

Everyone here knows a kid from school that was a very good student, but socially awkward of even inept. The kid wasn't really strange....just kept to himself and didn't do a lot of the out of school stuff. Maybe the kid had a 92 average. What you didn't see is that at home, his mother was yelling at him that he didn't get an A in English for the quarter...or that he spent to much time reading comic books instead of practicing the piano. He couldn't talk about the latest movie because it wasn't PG and his parents wouldn't let him see it. He never really developed friends he could count on because he couldn't relate or share with most of the kids. It wasn't that people didn't like him, it's just that they were more well-wishers and lukewarm because of his personality.

Everyone here also knows someone who wasn't the best student...maybe would get 70's or low 80's....but he tried. Maybe he didn't do his homework sometimes because he was playing football outside, or he didn't study for a quiz because he stayed up with his brother, watching a late movie, after they spent the day hunting deer with their dad.....but he always knew when the test was and tried hard. His dad was proud when he would bring home an A in math because he knew how much trouble it gave him at times, but if he brought home a D, his dad was very disappointed because he knew he was capable of more. Bring home a D? No Sabres tickets for him....dad tells the brother to take their cousin. Even though he didn't have the best grades, all the teachers liked him because he was a nice kid and charming with a sense of humor. He probably hung out with a close group of friends, but almost all the kids knew him at least a little, and he would be the first guy to give you a ride home or lend you a few bucks to buy lunch.

Ask yourself.....if Lindy Ruff and Ted Nolan were parents.....which one of the two descriptions above would be the better fit to describe their kid? Not in terms of actual parenting, but in terms of developing hockey players and their personalities, character, ability, etc.

Vanek, Connolly, Roy, Stafford, Gaustad, Myers

Peca, Barnaby, McKee, May, Boughner

All those guys were between 18-23 as they came up with their respective coach. Who had more talent? Who had higher points? Who had more natural ability? Who wore captain's letters?.......Who gave more effort. Who played with more common sense? Who would you trust on the ice, or if you needed help in real life? Who actually won a playoff series?

I like Lindy off the ice, and 90% of how he acts as a coach. There is a major insecurity however in the transition from person to coach. It can be any number or combination of things, he has valid reasons, but you just have to call it what it is. I know some people don't want to or can't look at people on this level.

Or maybe, just maybe, Ruff was appropriately expectant of his players and it's the players that were ######.

I don't think anyone is denying the roster was crap, but I don't think you can deny there's generally been a difference in hustle under Nolan, than under Ruff/Rolston.

The correct answer to me, would be "a little of both".

Edited by Kristian

Toward the end, he was coaching a mediocre roster from a position of familiarity and comfort--in a league where the other coaches and teams are trying to eat your lunch. He could be plenty mean, rough, nasty--whatever. He had (has) a full bag of tricks--he just lost his touch on how and when to use them.

As for niceness, you see a lot more of that from Nolan--all the pop psychology, arms around shoulders, motivational life coach stuff. Sure, Nolan will bust out a can of bag skate on you from time to time. But that doesn't eliminate the other stuff he does.

Lindy was a great coach here. His time had come and he is now proving in Dallas why everyone in the league knew he wouldn't be out of coaching for long.

Having watched how he spoke during the Peverly incident only reinforced the kind of integrity he brings to an organization. Did he do everything perfect here - no, but we could have been a hell of a lot worse off than we were during his time here.

IMO, the only thing he deserves from us is respect and appreciation. Wish him well and turn the page.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.